Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Not impressed  (Read 10259 times)

Shizmoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Not impressed
« on: July 09, 2014, 11:34:09 am »

We have waited two years anxiously for this update and now it has finally come. It was the "adventure mode update" I was looking forward to. So far it seems lacking with only a couple new features - jumping, climbing, sneaking, dialogue, progressive history, combat, trees. All of these aren't really major additions and some are minor re-works of existing functions. Some other cons:

-80% of the dialogue is basically pointless, possibly more. Most of the options when selected get ignored because nobody cares and when they do care you get canned responses such as - "It is inevitable"

-The dialogue spam of the AI is unnecessary as well. All they spam is "quests" with "It is inevitable" responses to each other which kills the framerate.

-The AI not giving a damn is another problem. You kill the Lady or Lord and claim the land and nobody cares resulting in them saying "It is inevitable". Atleast in .34 this pissed people off royally and they went to kill the usurper.

-When you actually complete a quest the AI still spams that so-n-so is harassing them even though you killed the dude and bragged/spread rumor of your killing. This makes doing "quests" pointless because the AI doesn't recognize it. Along with quests being pointless, it seems the reputation system from .34 has been thrown out

All in all, this feels like a downgrade from .34 adventure mode which felt like there was an objective purpose to it. In .40 im just running around killing stuff and having settlements given to me without a fight or care in the world. If this game had a development team this kind of content would be pushed out in a month maybe two, but since its just one guy working on it I guess this is what I should expect - every 2 years minor tweaks/updates.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Not impressed
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 11:35:24 am »

This version is not fully tested.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2014, 11:38:55 am »

If you want a more stable experience, please use an older version.

The W axis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:38 am »

Or wait a decade or so for the game to be completed. It's kind of disingenuous to criticise an unfinished work for being unfinished.
I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 11:39:44 am »

It is inevitable.

:D

Well, wait for some bugfixing to be done, all the new systems have one or more bugs in them, the game is really broken right now. Though I don't agree that the systems are small or simple, I had the biggest fun in adventure mode ever by using climbing, tracking and sneaking to follow a Night Troll.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 11:43:33 am »

It is terrifying.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

HmH

• Bay Watcher
  • Cage Trap Personified
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 11:47:22 am »

That is sad but not unexpected. The same could be said of the early .34 and .31 versions. The overhaul will show its true potential after the bugfixes.

Kamamura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:06 am »

I don't understand how can anyone fail to appreciate pointless dialogue. I find it gives the game almost lyrical feeling, when playing, I imagine my character is surrounded by zen masters, stoically commenting the absurd events of the world with puzzling remarks, full of hidden meanings.

There are enough scripted games full of simple archetypes and cheap drama. However, a bandit leader frightened of himself who climbs onto the highest tree in a futile attempt to flee from himself, finally losing grasp and falling to his death, that is very Kafka-esque and deeply poetic.

I wish somebody made an old-looking, black and white silent movie depicting this event, with large texts instead of speech.
The entire content consists of senseless murder, a pile of faceless naked women and zero regard for human life in general, all in the service of the protagonist's base impulses. It is clearly a cry for help from a neglected, self absorbed and disempowered juvenile badly in need of affectionate guidance. What a sad, sad display.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 11:51:18 am »

Hey, we wouldn't be able to have any more advanced stuff without this update.
Also not all people are bound to care equally for the king's death...

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 11:52:10 am »

Yeah, that's just the game being as buggy as expected. I think most of your complaints have been recognized as such. The "minor tweaks/updates" thing is complete bullshit, though... It's a fairly extensive rewrite to make way for things to come, which is also why it took so long, and why it's so unimpressively buggy.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 11:56:53 am »

It's kind of disingenuous to criticise an unfinished work for being unfinished.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:10 pm »

Or wait a decade or so for the game to be completed. It's kind of disingenuous to criticise an unfinished work for being unfinished.

Yeah, I just realized OP was the guy who posted this gem in another thread, so... yeah.

this Its actually a disappointment. All the stuff thats new that took 2 years pales in comparison to what Meph can do in 2 months with his masterwork. Atleast as far as fortress mode goes. I think adventure mode might have a good bit update which is cool.

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:13:36 pm »

The systems that are in place are loaded with potential, which is what really matters. It's the first version. Everyone said it was going to be buggy, Toady included. It shouldn't come off as such a shock that things aren't working as intended.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 01:37:54 pm »

All in all, this feels like a downgrade from .34 adventure mode which felt like there was an objective purpose to it. In .40 im just running around killing stuff and having settlements given to me without a fight or care in the world.

In Adventure Mode in .34 all I did was run around and kill and loot stuff. Adventure Mode is fairly sandboxy, just like Fort mode. Now there's more potential for interactions. You could play a peasant who sits in trees all day spitting on people. You can climb mountains and do parkour. You can run around and loot and kill stuff.

If you don't like the bugs and the "lackluster" changes, come back later when all the game breaking bugs of this version have been removed, the version has become stable, and people are making new mods and content that they couldn't do in .34.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:56:41 pm »

I removed some posts.  I'd appreciate it if people could go through the release period with their chill intact.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5