Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159667 times)

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.24+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #480 on: September 30, 2015, 09:28:09 pm »

Hey, can anyone come up with this:
A evil savage tundra AND glacier with a high number of megabeast, semi-megabeast, were-beast, and vampires. A volcano is a HUGE plus. Also I want to have access to all the civs (including Kobolds). I want the world to be really young too, just year 2 preferably. Or however long it'd take for a tower to be built nearby, since a necromancer is another plus.
Pick the basic World type you want (Large Island, Pocket World, etc.) and change/add the following parameters;
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
If you are unable to get the embark you're after, I will make up a full WorldGen when I am slightly less full of rum.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 01, 2015, 09:04:29 am »

Hey, can anyone come up with this:
A evil savage tundra AND glacier with a high number of megabeast, semi-megabeast, were-beast, and vampires. A volcano is a HUGE plus. Also I want to have access to all the civs (including Kobolds). I want the world to be really young too, just year 2 preferably. Or however long it'd take for a tower to be built nearby, since a necromancer is another plus.
Pick the basic World type you want (Large Island, Pocket World, etc.) and change/add the following parameters;
If you are unable to get the embark you're after, I will make up a full WorldGen when I am slightly less full of rum.

I just get an endless world gen and a rejection that says "can't place enough mountain peaks" don't I need those for dwarves? :o Either way, my game crashes before I can finish the gen.
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Ramiel.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: October 01, 2015, 02:22:47 pm »

So I've been building this nice fort in a really interesting location like I've never seen before, and thought someone might be interested in it.  Only concern is I'm using the Modest Mod, and I'm not sure just how much mods like that affect worldgen.

So the spot I'm at is an underwater volcano just offshore in a freshwater lake.  Just the right position you can get the volcano and a large chunk of land in a 3x3 embark.  Small region, 350 year history.  Temperate, savage biome, confirmed to contain large amounts of hematite, tetrahedrite, cassiterite, and galena.  Lots of flux (chalk), sand and fire clay.  Yes the volcano comes right up to the surface, so on embark you have to wait through a bunch of 'a section of the cavern has collapsed' spam until an obsidian cap forms over it.  Two dwarf civilizations, the one I'm playing as appears to have lost most (if not all) of its sites to the goblins in war, but only recently as refugee migrants keep coming to my fort.  No outpost liason has ever showed up, but the dwarven caravan comes every year no problem.  At war with the goblins like I said, and I have confirmed sieges, though I don't know how large they'll eventually get.  Sadly I don't have a picture to show you where, but search for the volcanoes/lakes and you should find it easily.

Full worldgen params, since I don't know exactly which ones are important.

nuget102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 01, 2015, 07:00:54 pm »

So I've been building this nice fort in a really interesting location like I've never seen before, and thought someone might be interested in it.  Only concern is I'm using the Modest Mod, and I'm not sure just how much mods like that affect worldgen.

So the spot I'm at is an underwater volcano just offshore in a freshwater lake.  Just the right position you can get the volcano and a large chunk of land in a 3x3 embark.  Small region, 350 year history.  Temperate, savage biome, confirmed to contain large amounts of hematite, tetrahedrite, cassiterite, and galena.  Lots of flux (chalk), sand and fire clay.  Yes the volcano comes right up to the surface, so on embark you have to wait through a bunch of 'a section of the cavern has collapsed' spam until an obsidian cap forms over it.  Two dwarf civilizations, the one I'm playing as appears to have lost most (if not all) of its sites to the goblins in war, but only recently as refugee migrants keep coming to my fort.  No outpost liason has ever showed up, but the dwarven caravan comes every year no problem.  At war with the goblins like I said, and I have confirmed sieges, though I don't know how large they'll eventually get.  Sadly I don't have a picture to show you where, but search for the volcanoes/lakes and you should find it easily.

Full worldgen params, since I don't know exactly which ones are important.

Every value that you copied matters to replicate your world. :) Sounds like a rather awesome embark.. I'll give it a go later (when I get my computer working...)
The fort where filth melts your skin! (updated 4/9/15)

Curiosity killed the cat.
Satisfaction brought it back.

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Because the only thing that I do good is bad jokes
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 02, 2015, 12:57:08 pm »

Try this one:

This is a PSV world, so it's a bit contrived.  I created the area in the northwest corner just for volcano's, and left the rest of the world flat and badlands.  The volcano's create enough elevation for dwarven civs to be placed there without raising the overall thickness of the entire world.  The point here is just to demonstrate what's possible.

This world has ~10k goblins, ~5k each in two dark fortresses.  The playable civs are pure dwarven, so you shouldn't have any issues with goblin monarchs.
You can do the same in a smaller world, but the odds of "ECE's" (extinction civ events) is greater in such a small space, relatively speaking.
Aside from a titan and a few semi/megabeasts, forgotten beasts and goblins should be your only enemies.

This world also generates without rejections, as a bonus.

If this is what you're looking for, Jesterdwarf, let me know, and we can iterate on features.

Oh, thanks, vjek.
Well, I tried this world. Even after I embarked right under goblin fortress,
there were no sieges at all. My outpost had "Created Wealth" of ~150000, and population of 60. No sieges, no ambushes, no snatchers. Goblin civ has 5017 goblins and 2500 trolls. Maybe it's because dwarves are so deep in the mountains that they can't reach the rest of the world during worldgen, and so they never actually settle anywhere, never meet goblins and do not go to war with them? (But goblins being babysnatchers would still make them come and try to steal children from my fort, IIRC.)
I mean, look:
No battles, no wars, no settlements. Just dingoes in the lairs all over the continent.
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: October 02, 2015, 02:07:45 pm »

You could always try this:

In  the file:
\$savename$\raw\objects\entity_default.txt

Under
ENTITY:EVIL
     [CREATURE:GOBLIN]

Change
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
to
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:1]

and see if anything changes in the next season.  Worth a shot?

Aris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 02, 2015, 07:30:25 pm »

Hi. I got a problem with creating a world with advanced parameters. Using the 2014 version Im trying to get a 0.34.11 parameters working.
The thing is... It worked once, and never again (but it worked without aquifers, since I disabled them that time). I cannot make it put 2 civs and the civs live so I can play the map.
The parameters are this, but with some evil squares.
Can someone help me a bit?...

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 03, 2015, 01:42:12 am »

You could always try this:

In  the file:
\$savename$\raw\objects\entity_default.txt

Under
ENTITY:EVIL
     [CREATURE:GOBLIN]

Change
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:3]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:0]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:0]
to
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_POP_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_PROD_SIEGE:1]
   [PROGRESS_TRIGGER_TRADE_SIEGE:1]

and see if anything changes in the next season.  Worth a shot?
Nope, nothing changed. Waited for 2 more years, Created Wealth is now over 4000000, still no sign of goblins.   
Not a native English speaker and all that so... Yeah, my posts may look like gibberish, but trust me, there is a meaning in them somewere. Or at least that's what I like to think.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: October 03, 2015, 10:20:42 am »

Yeah, not much you can do, then. 

You could try re-genning that world with random history and creature seeds, to see if you can get more goblins and/or some at War with the Dwarves, maybe?  It would seem a poor 'feature' that you'd have to be at War to get goblin sieges, but maybe that's the case now.

It's a chronic problem in 0.40.x versions, it seems (for myself and others), and I have no other solutions to offer. :(

Aris

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 03, 2015, 11:59:51 am »

Hi. I got a problem with creating a world with advanced parameters. Using the 2014 version Im trying to get a 0.34.11 parameters working.
The thing is... It worked once, and never again (but it worked without aquifers, since I disabled them that time). I cannot make it put 2 civs and the civs live so I can play the map.
The parameters are this, but with some evil squares.
Can someone help me a bit?...

Nevermind. Got the problem. I was playing with another civ activated :b

Jesterdwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: October 04, 2015, 01:15:30 am »

It's a chronic problem in 0.40.x versions, it seems (for myself and others), and I have no other solutions to offer. :(
Oh well. Thanks anyway.  :)
Back to re-genning worlds and praying to RNG gods, I guess.
Actually, no. I have a couple of questions:
1) How can I increase the number of underground "civs"? In 0.40.xx I saw exactly zero animalmen tribes in caverns. Just my luck or they were wiped out by FBs?
2) If I want a really big river, what parameters in adv. worldgen should I mess with?

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 04, 2015, 03:01:34 pm »

1) If you have all three cavern layers, that will help, and increased savagery overall will generate more animal-men races.
2) For major rivers you need lots of rain, and lots of elevation change, over a lot of horizontal river-course.  Of course, there's "major" and then there's "MAJOR", some examples are in this thread regarding the difference.  Some rivers can be as much as an entire tile wide, but flat, while others can carve a perfectly vertical canyon over 50Z deep, on the surface.

I'm working through an @WAR with 15k goblins pocket world, and if it works that they attack within the first year, I'll post the parameters.

Thuellai

• Bay Watcher
  • Nobody's business but the Turks
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 05, 2015, 11:45:42 pm »

Playing a mod with a lot of civs with diverse biome requirements, so I'd like a medium sized world (to have enough space for everyone) with varied terrain - not necessarily patchwork, but probably smaller individual biomes so that there's room for lots of variance on the map.  If it has some easily accessible (IE not in unembarkable mountain ranges) volcanoes that would be excellent as well.  A volcano next to sand or clay would be especially appreciated.
When you're following an angel, does it mean you have to throw your body off a building?

"So kids, what story do you want me to read to you tonight?"
"Oooh!  Oooh!  Goldibeard and the The Rotting Corpses!"
~LegacyCWAL

vjek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: October 06, 2015, 01:39:20 pm »

Playing a mod with a lot of civs with diverse biome requirements, so I'd like a medium sized world (to have enough space for everyone) with varied terrain - not necessarily patchwork, but probably smaller individual biomes so that there's room for lots of variance on the map.  If it has some easily accessible (IE not in unembarkable mountain ranges) volcanoes that would be excellent as well.  A volcano next to sand or clay would be especially appreciated.
This may work, but you'll note there's no seeds.  The reason being, you're playing with a mod, and modded raws lead to inconsistent worldgen reproduction.

In any case, let me know if it's what you were looking for.  I tested it 10 times, and it generated random worlds 10 times with no rejections.  You may need to increase the number of civs, depending on your needs.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 06, 2015, 02:47:43 pm »

I am scouting for nice caverns ... but I fear the tedium of steady new world generation or looking into dozens of embarks. I usually run with 2 cavern layers, certain min openness and limited max connection so I get some open areas in caverns, but without them looking completely artificial, and a minimum amount of water. But I never figured out what governs e.g. me getting nice chasms in caverns connecting the layers. Sometimes caverns are interesting (open while structured), sometimes they are just plain boring ... Anyone?

What governs world depth? I have highly varying depth even in a pocket region from as low as 30 to over 100. Would like a flat world in swamp biome.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 37