Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159800 times)

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #360 on: December 12, 2014, 11:48:33 am »

Hmmm, I could swear I remembered how to do that, was it the last world you generated perhaps? If so that is the easiest because it will show the seeds, and you can just replace the history seed with random and use it like that.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #361 on: December 12, 2014, 01:46:24 pm »

Well, I actually did that. But I must have made a mistake because the world looks different.

After all, I've found out how to do it.
You'll need to export world gen information from Legends mode with 'p'.

And changing the seeds for history and creatures changed the world until it was full of goblins!
Now the world looks like fun. Have a look by yourself, if you like...

The name comes from my favorite embark location in the "Horns of Pregnancy" Mountains.
Careful prospecting was promising and all races are around.

Have fun!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 12, 2014, 05:04:21 pm by nasobema »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #362 on: December 12, 2014, 04:46:38 pm »

Well, I actually did that. But I must have made a mistake because the world looks different.
Is there another way to extract the seedsbfrom the world save somehow?
From your ebark, press Escape to get the menu, then choose Export local image, then 'e'.  The worldgen parameters will be placed in your DF directory, prefixed with the name of your embark/fortress.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: December 12, 2014, 05:03:36 pm »

From your ebark, press Escape to get the menu, then choose Export local image, then 'e'.  The worldgen parameters will be placed in your DF directory, prefixed with the name of your embark/fortress.

Or this, thanks for the help!

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: December 13, 2014, 05:32:24 am »

This is why I declared him a wizard (well, I assume him, haven't checked under the beard yet) with world workings.

Gelatinous yam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: December 14, 2014, 07:54:54 pm »

Yo Vjek/Max, I'm looking for a world that'll be fun to play on for a long time. I don't really care about specific perfect embarks or anything, I'm kind of just looking for a mid-large-sized world with lots of interesting stuff going on in different areas so I can play a bunch of adventurers and forts in succession in the same world.
Also, I like to play with minerals on the scarce side, but other than that just give me something cool that'll sustain my interest. Thanks  :)

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: December 16, 2014, 04:46:09 am »

Yo Vjek/Max, I'm looking for a world that'll be fun to play on for a long time. I don't really care about specific perfect embarks or anything, I'm kind of just looking for a mid-large-sized world with lots of interesting stuff going on in different areas so I can play a bunch of adventurers and forts in succession in the same world.
Also, I like to play with minerals on the scarce side, but other than that just give me something cool that'll sustain my interest. Thanks  :)

Well that's ... unspecific.

What's wrong with the usual randomized worlds? Just generate and if you're curious you may check out legends mode or the legends viewer to get an idea of how fun the world is.
And needless to say, that the definition of a fun world is completely up to you and others might have other preferences.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #367 on: December 16, 2014, 08:01:28 am »

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140180.msg5654385#msg5654385

It's a small world, so easier to move around on. Would suggest increasing the megabeast cap, to give your adventurer some more dragons and roc's to kill. But ye, i've used that a few times with a few minor modifications (such as more megabeasts). The amount of volcano embarks on a tiny map (so good fps) is pretty impressive.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Gelatinous yam

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #368 on: December 17, 2014, 10:22:25 am »

Nasobema, I definitely use the default world generator a lot. I just feel like the guys with a lot of worldgen experience might have some particular ideas about how to make something cool to spend my time with. It's definitely very open ended and subjective, lol.

I'll take a look at that world for sure, Bigheaded.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: December 18, 2014, 01:26:19 pm »

Nasobema, I definitely use the default world generator a lot. I just feel like the guys with a lot of worldgen experience might have some particular ideas about how to make something cool to spend my time with. It's definitely very open ended and subjective, lol.

I'll take a look at that world for sure, Bigheaded.

If you can be more specific in what you're looking for, i can be more specific in my worldgen :P
One thing i suspect you may be interested in, is extra megabests, as it's fairly easy to get a good 20 even on a small map, as it's what i'm using at the moment, all of which are alive at 20 years in.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

Visus Draconis

• Bay Watcher
  • Prognosticationist
    • View Profile
« Reply #370 on: December 20, 2014, 08:29:29 am »

So after playing a bit of v40.19, I feel a bit bored with my current, "safe" embark area. I'd like to have a world with a decent-sized Evil region for me to play around in.

What I'm looking for is:

• Iron, flux, coal, maybe sand: iron/flux/coal at minimum
      • Evil region-- it can be on the border of another non-evil region, but that isn't necessary
      • Reanimation present
      • Preferably not a glacier/tundra embark

That's pretty much it. Anything else is all up to you and/or the RNG.

Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2014, 09:36:15 am by Visus Draconis »
"Armok, I would like a set of ☼adamantine socks☼ for the winter holiday."

Syndrome-causing cloud of creeping mist appears at the edge of the map.

"I'll take that as a no."

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: December 20, 2014, 08:53:05 am »

This isn't a request for a world recipe so much as a question about how an ingredient might work...

I'm trying to work out how to get more magma pools in my worlds. I know you can't see them ahead of embark, but I'd like to increase my chances of hitting one. I'm happy if more volcanoes are a side-effect but it's not a necessity (so I guess I can leave VOLCANO_MIN alone). If I monkey about with VOLCANISM, in particular increasing the variances, should that do it?
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: December 20, 2014, 11:19:44 am »

This isn't a request for a world recipe so much as a question about how an ingredient might work...

I'm trying to work out how to get more magma pools in my worlds. I know you can't see them ahead of embark, but I'd like to increase my chances of hitting one. I'm happy if more volcanoes are a side-effect but it's not a necessity (so I guess I can leave VOLCANO_MIN alone). If I monkey about with VOLCANISM, in particular increasing the variances, should that do it?
If by magma pools you mean subsurface magma tubes or half-grown-volcanoes, features that aren't the magma sea, then just make both the min and max volcanism 100.  That should make most/some/every tile igneous extrusive, and give the highest chance for those features to form.
It will also have the side effect of making sedimentary layers, and the features that appear in them, more/very rare.
Variances likely won't affect anything in this case. 

If the goal of your endeavor is to get magma closer to the surface, with very simple adjustments, you can get the magma sea to within ~20 Z levels of embark, much closer than dwarves typically have to walk on the surface to reach a surface volcano.

Wooster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: December 20, 2014, 01:26:15 pm »

If by magma pools you mean subsurface magma tubes or half-grown-volcanoes, features that aren't the magma sea, then just make both the min and max volcanism 100.  That should make most/some/every tile igneous extrusive, and give the highest chance for those features to form.
It will also have the side effect of making sedimentary layers, and the features that appear in them, more/very rare.
Variances likely won't affect anything in this case. 

If the goal of your endeavor is to get magma closer to the surface, with very simple adjustments, you can get the magma sea to within ~20 Z levels of embark, much closer than dwarves typically have to walk on the surface to reach a surface volcano.
Thanks. Next time I generate a world, I'll try increasing the minimum volcanism: probably not to 100 but I'll experiment. I should have thought of pulling out a cavern layer or two, as well!
Unofficial Lazy Newb Pack 43.03, Dwarf Mode only
Favourite utilities, mods and hacks: TWBT and Stockpile Settings Management; Masterwork Dwarf Fortress
Ubuntu 14.04 / Mint 17

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: December 20, 2014, 02:49:25 pm »

:( I haven't been able to find anything like the embark I had for the 10 hour challenge again.

It was a reanimating ocean with periodic freezing, with a joyful adjoining biome, iirc.

But what I'd REALLY like to find is an embark that is a narrow strip of land with an ocean on either side:

O O O L O
O O L L O
O O L L O
O L L L O
O L L O O

Where the land is divided into 2 biomes, the oceans are seperated, and 3/4 biomes are evil. 2/4 biomes should be Savage, doesn't matter which in relation to the evilness.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 37