Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159801 times)

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.10+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #345 on: December 01, 2014, 09:57:59 am »

thanks! my current attempt was really laggy.

I can't give any guarantees about lag, unfortunately. That's a 'rectangular' worldgen half way between a large and a medium. So it shouldn't be as laggy as a full large. I pumped it full of all sorts of monsters. :P
()==[:::::::::::::>

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: December 04, 2014, 04:40:08 pm »

How do I gen a world without annoying evil rains? I did set number of evil rains to 0 (hoping to get something more interesting than a silly rain), embarked multi-biome (haunted+terrifying), but now it rains fricking dwarf blood. (Not that it matters. Was wiped out shortly after by a pack of boar corpses.)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 04:51:13 pm by taptap »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: December 04, 2014, 07:41:39 pm »

How do I gen a world without annoying evil rains? I did set number of evil rains to 0 (hoping to get something more interesting than a silly rain), embarked multi-biome (haunted+terrifying), but now it rains fricking dwarf blood. (Not that it matters. Was wiped out shortly after by a pack of boar corpses.)
I consider this behavior a long standing bug, but opinions will vary.

If you want -some- evil effects, evil rain is a possibility.

If you want -no- evil effects, set Regional Interactions to None, along with evil clouds and evil rain to None.

Raining blood of some kind appears to be the most common Regional Interaction, and the ~first to be applied to the ~first evil biome.  If you only have one or a few biomes, then, it will likely be what you get.  As a result, you either need to increase both the number of biomes and the number of regional interactions to get a variety (which may or may not include raining blood) or set them to none, and meditate on the the glumprongs stark beauty. ;)

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: December 07, 2014, 12:57:13 am »

I'd like a map with plenty of iron ores, trees, and goblins please.

Badger Storm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: December 07, 2014, 05:23:07 am »

Is this the place to ask worldgen questions?  If so, I'd like to know how to fiddle with the savagery mesh to get moar savagery.

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: December 07, 2014, 08:29:14 am »

Good a place as any I'd say, vjek is handy with that stuff.

I think changing the savagery mesh sizes to the highest for the map size, then something like 4, 6, 8, 10 for the other options with the x/y variation set to 3200 works, or at least it does for volcanospam everywhere.

Bigheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: December 07, 2014, 11:01:01 am »

Is this the place to ask worldgen questions?  If so, I'd like to know how to fiddle with the savagery mesh to get moar savagery.
Savagery as far as i can tell, just means the animals wandering around the top are more aggressive, and get far more "giant" versions of animals. As an example, half of a fort of goblins were eaten by a small force of alligators according to the legends in a fort i made with quite high savagery.

I.e, more of the map is "untamed wilds" where aggressive animals are common.

Personally, i would mostly leave the minimum and maximum values alone, can increase the minimum a tiny bit, but if increased too much will give a lot of rejects.

Increasing the variance should be fine, if you get too many rejects, lower it slightly.
Also try increasing the number of high savagery areas. i,e this:
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:<mesh>:<0-20 weight>:<20-40 weight>:<40-60 weight>:<60-80 weight>:<80-100 weight>]
Increase the number of 80-100 weights to about 6 can enforce more "very savage" areas on your map.

Bear in mind if you go over the top, you may lose out on some megabeasts, as in the legends of the same map with goblins getting eaten, a dragon took out about 200 dwarves/elves/animals and then died to an elephant.

I'm unsure how you "force" iron onto maps. I think a general idea is to try and increase the amount of sedimentary layers. I usually find they're more common in mountainous regions and occasionally near volcanos.
I suggest embarking where there is flux stone on a high mineral map and hoping for the best.
Goblins and trees are easy to deal with though.

Here was my attempt at getting all 3:
[WORLD_GEN]
   [TITLE:IronTreeGob]
   [DIM:33:33]
   [EMBARK_POINTS:1024]
   [END_YEAR:40]
   [BEAST_END_YEAR:50:80]
   [REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
   [CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
   [ELEVATION:1:310:102:102]
   [RAINFALL:10:100:80:80]
   [TEMPERATURE:30:75:51:51]
   [DRAINAGE:0:100:51:51]
   [VOLCANISM:0:100:51:51]
   [SAVAGERY:0:100:100:100]
   [ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
   [SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:2]
   [VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:2]
   [POLE:NORTH_OR_SOUTH]
   [MINERAL_SCARCITY:250]
   [MEGABEAST_CAP:5]
   [SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:2]
   [TITAN_NUMBER:1]
   [TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
   [DEMON_NUMBER:20]
   [NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:10]
   [BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:10]
   [VAMPIRE_NUMBER:10]
   [WEREBEAST_NUMBER:10]
   [SECRET_NUMBER:20]
   [REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
   [DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:20]
   [EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:10]
   [EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:10]
   [GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
   [GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:0:2:0]
   [EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:2:32:0]
   [PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:0]
   [PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:1]
   [COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
   [VOLCANO_MIN:2]
   [REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:0:0:0]
   [REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:0:0:0]
   [EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
   [RIVER_MINS:6:6]
   [PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
   [OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
   [SUBREGION_MAX:2750]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:70]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:25]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:5]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:15]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
   [HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
   [LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
   [CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
   [CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
   [MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:1]
   [NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:3]
   [ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:1]
   [SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
   [TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:10]
   [TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:15000]
   [SITE_CAP:68]
   [PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
   [ELEVATION_RANGES:60:100:0]
   [RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
   [VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]

Pretty much standard, i've made the cavern layers very empty of water, so you can wander around down there quite easily, so if you want to try and catch some GCS/Cave dragons, it's a possibility.
More evil squares helps the goblin count, lower good squares means less elves.
Should get you an embark reasonably quickly.

I suggest you change the amount of years to something you want, i've set it at 40 to make it less likely that any civilizations get destroyed, for at around 100, whilst necromancers start popping up, i also find several civilizations get destroyed by dragons.

Slightly increased the number of megabeasts, so it is within the realm of possibility that you'll find one, which i think will be !!FUN!!
If that's not for you, change that also,
do ctrl + f for:
[END_YEAR:40] <-- change that to what year you wish to start at.
[MEGABEAST_CAP:5] consider lowering this, but i find it amusing with dragons etc slaughtering everything. Also means if i go adventurer i may actually find one.

I like my caverns like this:
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:70]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
   [CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:25]
Means that you get wide open areas, rather than many tiny little narrow walkways. Feel free to modify. Also note, there's only about 70 layers between the surface and magma layer, often less. If this is an issue change some of these:
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
   [LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
15/10/10 should give you plenty to work with. Or just 30/1/1 to increase the space between you and the first cavern and then all 3 caverns coming up quickly.

To use the map, just copy the whole thing (including worldgen bit) and paste it:
DF folder -> data -> init -> world_gen.txt and just paste it at the bottom.
Given it a few tries, in all of them i get a decent population of goblins, a decent amount of dwarves/humans and not many elves.
Dear Urist McStockpileDrone
I just found a barrel which contained a wheelbarrow. Inside the wheelbarrow was another barrel. I don't even understand how that is possible.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: December 07, 2014, 11:15:46 am »

As Badger Storm mentioned, savagery is a biome modifier to determine what enters your map, for the most part.

The biggest detractor of savagery is that Dwarves will not start a mountainhome on a savage biome.  So if you make your whole world super savage, you get no place for the Mountainhome, thusly no dwarves, and lots of rejections.

However, with world painter, you can always leave a single world tile non-savage, to give the dwarves a place to start, if your goal is a 99.99% savagery, for example. :)

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: December 09, 2014, 11:39:24 am »

Here is a slightly unusual request.

Given these worldgen parameters...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...can you find me a history seed such that this site...
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...has all four civs in range? Obviously the site also needs to be accessible - I managed to generate one world where the dwarves on that mountain had already embarked all over my land before I got fed up.
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

rmblr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: December 09, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

To do that, just batch gen with RANDOM as the history seed, leave it overnight and check the generated worlds in the morning.

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: December 09, 2014, 01:37:26 pm »

Huh. Didn't know worldgen could be run separately from a batch file. That's a relatively useful feature, though it'd be better if it ran headlessly so I could just daemonise the script and kill it later - as is, I can only run it while I'm not using the computer since the new DF window will open on the current workspace. Still, the more people help the faster I'm likely to get an answer.

e: okay, apparently it doesn't really work all that well - after generating it gave me the Enter/[a]bort/[p]rint prompt you'd get if you did worldgen normally and then froze.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:57:00 pm by Thomas Winwood »
U+203C DOUBLE EXCLAMATION MARK (‼) is the Dwarf Fortress symbol for fire, not two instances of U+0021 EXCLAMATION MARK (!!).

Arkangel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #356 on: December 10, 2014, 07:59:12 am »

I'm having some trouble generating an embark I want for the new version. Basically, my goal is to get an embark with maximum crop (and wildlife) diversity, i.e. planting as many different crops as possible and getting lots of cool critters for taming. According to the wiki page (and my own observations), I'd need an embark with both temperate and tropical biomes to start with, those would cover a lot of the crops. If at least one tropical biome is grassland, almost everything should be available. The only biomes left then would be tropical dry broadleaf forest (tomato, buckwheat) and tropical savannah (fonio), but I can live without those. For wildlife variety, I'd like a tropical moist broadleaf forest (seems like lots of nice animals live there, I like monkeys) and a stream for aquatic/amphibious animals (I believe brooks don't allow for wildlife). Savagery needs to be as high as possible to allow for giant animals. Clay, sand, and lots of minerals would be welcome as well. Secondary, but not essential, features would be fire clay and a (surface) volcano. World size should be pocket to conserve resources (but I'd be willing to try larger), and embark should be no larger than 4x4 (4x2 would be great, fits my screen almost perfectly).

I've generated dozens of worlds, and have come pretty close to optimal results, but have never quite gotten there. I'd love some help if anyone can offer it, be it in the form of a generated world or advice on specific parameters. Thanks in advance!

Thomas Winwood

• Bay Watcher
  • Monomath
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: December 10, 2014, 10:38:13 am »

I'm a lazy jackass please do effort for me
I spent some time generating worlds while watching something trashy and found the history seed LhbzWmfjHgIqp1cYCLfv did what I wanted. Thanks for anyone who did try to help out, and hopefully if someone wants to use that site they'll find the seed helpful.

asnys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: December 10, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »

Does anyone have any sites where colored diamonds show up?   I haven't seen any for a long time.

nasobema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: December 12, 2014, 11:42:52 am »

How can I extract world gen parameters from an existing world? Especially the seed values.

I would like to regen a world with different history because I like many features of this world except the distribution of civilizations.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 37