Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37

Author Topic: DF2014 (v0.40.24) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!  (Read 159780 times)

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 (v0.40.08+) Worldgen Cookbook Thread!
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2014, 04:21:07 pm »

Beautiful!! Thank you.
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 16, 2014, 04:47:06 pm »

In earlier versions, I found that making the caverns have maximum openness and minimum passage density (saying those two terms from memory, might be inaccurate) also caused them to be very, very flat. Since they didn't span more than a few z-levels, and the amount of z-levels between caverns can be set freely, it also led to a shallow embark, if that's what you want.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 16, 2014, 05:06:02 pm »

Has anyone noticed Sites where Dwarves and Goblins (or Elves and Goblins) are living together? I haven't visited in adventure mode, just looking through the sites for my world I have a few of these where there are Goblins listed under the inhabitants of a Dwarven fortress site. Are they just visiting or are they living in peace?
I just embarked on one and it had 200 hostile goblins, 8 hostile dwarves, and 1 hostile goblin administrator.
Everyone (as in, EVERYONE) except the administrator were sleeping.
/shrug  ???

Dwarf_Fever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 16, 2014, 05:14:54 pm »

A couple of things of things change the longer history generates for, good and bad. Civilizations will weaken and die out, removing potential threats and possibly creating points of interest to reclaim in fort mode or raid for loot as an adventurer.
It's the same story with megabeasts, the longer you wait the less you'll have to deal with and the ones that do arrive will be far more prolific than specimens from younger worlds. Case in point dragons, who need a thousand years to reach their massive adult size.
Goblin civilizations that stand the test of time will diversify greatly due to snatching, and in older worlds these so-called goblin nations may contain no goblins at all. Other nations will accumulate foreign sentients over time as well, but in my experience dwarven nations acquire the least amount of foreigners and fort immigrants will always be dwarves.
I also notice shrine dwelling monsters such as colossi and titans tend to acumulate much more wealth over time, with something similar for rocs and their nests.

It's the little things that make a difference.

Bolded bit may be relevant.  :D If it's actually a dwarven site, quite possibly the goblins invaded it, set up shop, and snatched dwarves from the area? (Possibly from the very site they invaded, prior to taking it over)
"Whatever exists, having somehow come into being, is again and again reinterpreted to new ends, taken over, transformed, and redirected by some power superior to it; all events in the organic world are a subduing, a becoming master, and all subduing and becoming master involves a fresh interpretation, an adaptation through which any previous 'meaning' and 'purpose' are necessarily obscured or obliterated."

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 16, 2014, 05:44:38 pm »

That makes more sense. The map in question has a large Dwarven civ confined to a mountain valley very close to a goblin civ:

(It's year 4401 by the way and still in the Age of Legends if I remember correctly, 11 civs, 401 site cap, default megabeast/titan settings)

Map
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Worldgen

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 16, 2014, 09:46:59 pm »

Okay, since there's no response yet to my last question, I'll narrow it down somewhat: What in this set of parameters is keeping the other races away? I generated 10 worlds without any other races but dwarves, and I'd really like all three other races to be around.

Code: [Select]
[WORLD_GEN]
[TITLE:Volc 2]
[DIM:257:257]
[EMBARK_POINTS:2500]
[END_YEAR:99]
[BEAST_END_YEAR:999:80]
[REVEAL_ALL_HISTORY:1]
[CULL_HISTORICAL_FIGURES:1]
[ELEVATION:20:400:800:800]
[RAINFALL:0:100:400:400]
[TEMPERATURE:25:75:400:400]
[DRAINAGE:0:100:400:400]
[VOLCANISM:0:100:400:400]
[SAVAGERY:0:100:400:400]
[ELEVATION_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[RAIN_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[DRAINAGE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[TEMPERATURE_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[SAVAGERY_FREQUENCY:1:1:1:1:1:1]
[VOLCANISM_FREQUENCY:5:10:1:1:1:5]
[MINERAL_SCARCITY:800]
[MEGABEAST_CAP:75]
[SEMIMEGABEAST_CAP:150]
[TITAN_NUMBER:33]
[TITAN_ATTACK_TRIGGER:80:0:100000]
[DEMON_NUMBER:13]
[NIGHT_TROLL_NUMBER:13]
[BOGEYMAN_NUMBER:13]
[VAMPIRE_NUMBER:13]
[WEREBEAST_NUMBER:13]
[SECRET_NUMBER:13]
[REGIONAL_INTERACTION_NUMBER:13]
[DISTURBANCE_INTERACTION_NUMBER:13]
[EVIL_CLOUD_NUMBER:13]
[EVIL_RAIN_NUMBER:13]
[GENERATE_DIVINE_MATERIALS:1]
[GOOD_SQ_COUNTS:200:2000:4000]
[EVIL_SQ_COUNTS:50:200:400]
[PEAK_NUMBER_MIN:2]
[PARTIAL_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[COMPLETE_OCEAN_EDGE_MIN:0]
[VOLCANO_MIN:200]
[REGION_COUNTS:SWAMP:500:4:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:DESERT:1032:4:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:FOREST:4128:4:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:MOUNTAINS:4000:4:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:OCEAN:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GLACIER:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:TUNDRA:0:0:0]
[REGION_COUNTS:GRASSLAND:4000:4:5]
[REGION_COUNTS:HILLS:4000:4:5]
[EROSION_CYCLE_COUNT:250]
[RIVER_MINS:800:800]
[PERIODICALLY_ERODE_EXTREMES:1]
[OROGRAPHIC_PRECIPITATION:1]
[SUBREGION_MAX:75000]
[CAVERN_LAYER_COUNT:3]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MIN:90]
[CAVERN_LAYER_OPENNESS_MAX:100]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MIN:0]
[CAVERN_LAYER_PASSAGE_DENSITY_MAX:10]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MIN:30]
[CAVERN_LAYER_WATER_MAX:100]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_1:1]
[HAVE_BOTTOM_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_GROUND:15]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_1:5]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_2:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_3:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_4:1]
[LEVELS_ABOVE_LAYER_5:2]
[LEVELS_AT_BOTTOM:1]
[CAVE_MIN_SIZE:5]
[CAVE_MAX_SIZE:25]
[MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:100]
[NON_MOUNTAIN_CAVE_MIN:200]
[ALL_CAVES_VISIBLE:0]
[SHOW_EMBARK_TUNNEL:2]
[TOTAL_CIV_NUMBER:40]
[TOTAL_CIV_POPULATION:5000]
[SITE_CAP:500]
[PLAYABLE_CIVILIZATION_REQUIRED:1]
[ELEVATION_RANGES:0:0:0]
[RAIN_RANGES:0:0:0]
[DRAINAGE_RANGES:0:0:0]
[SAVAGERY_RANGES:0:0:0]
[VOLCANISM_RANGES:0:0:0]
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 16, 2014, 10:38:31 pm »

What in this set of parameters is keeping the other races away? I generated 10 worlds without any other races but dwarves, and I'd really like all three other races to be around.
I generated one and it is ok. All races(even kobolds)are present.
Spoiler: WORLD_GEN (click to show/hide)
2,5Mb map:http://i.imgur.com/s9PocYo.jpg
« Last Edit: August 16, 2014, 10:42:34 pm by sv-esk »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 16, 2014, 10:43:15 pm »

What in this set of parameters is keeping the other races away? I generated 10 worlds without any other races but dwarves, and I'd really like all three other races to be around.
I generated one and it is ok
Spoiler: world (click to show/hide)
2,5Mb image of world:http://i.imgur.com/s9PocYo.jpg

So it had all the different races? Hrmm. Time to try it in a completely vanilla version I guess, might be a raws thing...

Just genned your world in the version I was using, and only neighbours are dwarves. So yeah, seems like my version.

Edit again: Nope, trying it just keeps giving me dwarves as neighbours in the starter packs, both r1 and r3... what on earth is going on here? >.<
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 12:22:14 am by Ledi »
So Ledi's been training the cats into an army of disposable warbeasts?  Why did no-one think of this sooner?!
Hellcannon seemed to be constantly on the verge of death and Levergedon before my turn helped, but ultimately what killed it was Ledi's cat army.

sv-esk

• Bay Watcher
  • sorry for my bad english
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 17, 2014, 01:45:12 am »

Edit again: Nope, trying it just keeps giving me dwarves as neighbours in the starter packs, both r1 and r3... what on earth is going on here? >.<
AFAIK, for neighbor status civs should be within 30 tiles.
So try moving the pointer around the world.
Here is zone with all neighbors:
Your world is HUGE. If you want more places with many neighbors give them more time to spread [END_YEAR] or use smaller world.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2014, 01:55:59 am by sv-esk »

Ledi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 17, 2014, 02:23:41 am »

AFAIK, for neighbor status civs should be within 30 tiles.
So try moving the pointer around the world.
Here is zone with all neighbors:
Your world is HUGE. If you want more places with many neighbors give them more time to spread [END_YEAR] or use smaller world.

*moves around world*

...And now I just feel silly. >.>;

So will you only get traders from neighbours? I might try tweaking my sites and such now to get a good neighbour ratio.

Thankyou for telling me  this!

sty

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 18, 2014, 08:19:07 pm »

Hi guys,

I've been having trouble generating a world which would have an embark for creating steel without cutting trees down... it's comparatively easy to get an embark with volcano and hematite and flux, but I've now used a few days to find fuel... and oh man it's scarce!

Somehow I had better luck with 0.34 but with 0.40 (at .8 now) it seems to be rather... difficult. Any luck?

Bonus points for aggressive neighbours to use the steel at :P

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 18, 2014, 08:26:23 pm »

You might be making minerals too prolific.  I remember in .34 that if you tweaked the scarcity number below about 1500, some of the fuel and flux stones started to get more scarce since they were being replaced by more valuable ores.

I generally don't use mineral scarcities below 2000 just for that reason.

Tacomagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Proud Sir Wordy McWordiness at your service.
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 18, 2014, 08:27:38 pm »

Woops, hit the wrong button.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 18, 2014, 08:35:36 pm »

Frequency is weird. I'd be very interested if anybody has found out in any sort of detail how it works for minerals or plants or anything (I assume it's similar for different parts of the game that use [FREQUENCY:__])

There are 2-3 relevant parameters that should exist, but not that many means of control:
* Total amount of stuff -- this is determined for plants by the biome type, for minerals by mineral scarcity, obviously
* Number of types of stuff (species of trees, number of different mineral types, etc.)
* Ratio of types of stuff

The last two variables seem to BOTH somehow be controlled by FREQUENCY tags, in some sort of complex (maybe) way that I don't understand. Does anybody understand if/how there is a way to control ratios as well as how many types of things are at a site?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 18, 2014, 08:53:24 pm »

Hi guys,

I've been having trouble generating a world which would have an embark for creating steel without cutting trees down... it's comparatively easy to get an embark with volcano and hematite and flux, but I've now used a few days to find fuel... and oh man it's scarce!

Somehow I had better luck with 0.34 but with 0.40 (at .8 now) it seems to be rather... difficult. Any luck?

Bonus points for aggressive neighbours to use the steel at :P
The wiki says:
Sedimentary layers are, on average, the most economically valuable of the four stone layers. They are your only source of bituminous coal and lignite, vital for fueling non-magma forges and for the coke steel-making requires (especially if you lack trees).
And..
Volcanoes tend to appear in mountainous igneous extrusive biomes, which means you may be hard pressed to find flux, coal or wood. You won't need it for fuel, but you will still need it for steel making. If you don't feel like searching hundreds of worlds for a volcano next to sedimentary stone or in a forest, your best bet may be to breach the first cavern for wood (or make tree farms underground once the caverns are opened up), or trade for wood, processed coke or charcoal.
Which is why you're having a hard time.

I'll ask this question.. Why do you need or want a volcano?  If you can give it up, the embark you want is trivial to find.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 37