Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454018 times)

Planck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3975 on: April 13, 2020, 04:28:05 pm »

I apologize if this has been asked before, but the search function on these forums can be pretty obtuse. 

Did backpacks in Adventure Mode recently get more realistic limitations?  All of the wiki articles imply that you can fit all the stuff you want into a single bag, but I just started my first adventurer since 0.34 and he seems to be unable to carry many of the things I'm finding in a fortress and trying to equip myself with.  I'm wearing a backpack and it does contain about two dozen items, but when I try to [p]ut the objects I'm holding in, I'm told "You don't have a suitable container."  My speed has also dramatically fallen from 1.0 to 0.219 since I entered the fortress armory and started picking things up, and it can't be from a poor armor user or shield user skill as I stripped everything off to try and replace it with this new equipment -- this can only be coming from the heavy shit in my backpack.  I'm not crawling or sneaking, and I've even double-checked my gait.

If this is what's going on, how is anybody supposed to reasonably figure out what their encumbrance limits are?  Individually going through each item in your inventory, adding the weight up yourself, and experimentally dropping things until you can put more in?  This seems like a gigantic pain.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3976 on: April 13, 2020, 05:21:30 pm »

Did backpacks in Adventure Mode recently get more realistic limitations?  All of the wiki articles imply that you can fit all the stuff you want into a single bag
If both hands are full, picking up another item puts it directly into a worn backpack. There is an ancient bug that doing this ignores the limit of how much a backpack can hold.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Planck

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3977 on: April 13, 2020, 06:38:33 pm »

If both hands are full, picking up another item puts it directly into a worn backpack. There is an ancient bug that doing this ignores the limit of how much a backpack can hold.

But what's causing my speed to so dramatically decrease?  A full backpack, or the combined weight of all items?  What is the non-bugged limit to the size of one backpack's inventory?  None of the wiki pages I can find (I've scoured the pages for adventure mode quickstart, adventure mode gameplay, equipment, backpacks...) even hint at answers to these questions, and the user interface certainly doesn't explain a weight limit.  I'm completely lost.  My quiver with four stacks of 25 bolts somehow weighs me down more than my backpack full of an entire suit of iron armor and several steel weapons.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3978 on: April 13, 2020, 07:28:50 pm »

But what's causing my speed to so dramatically decrease?  A full backpack, or the combined weight of all items?  What is the non-bugged limit to the size of one backpack's inventory?  None of the wiki pages I can find (I've scoured the pages for adventure mode quickstart, adventure mode gameplay, equipment, backpacks...) even hint at answers to these questions, and the user interface certainly doesn't explain a weight limit.  I'm completely lost.  My quiver with four stacks of 25 bolts somehow weighs me down more than my backpack full of an entire suit of iron armor and several steel weapons.
The combined weight of all items will slow you down if it's more than an amount determined by your stats. (Strength mainly.) The more you carry the more it slows you, up to a point at which you can't get any slower. That includes items you are wearing, though the Armor User skill will reduce that some for armor.

For container limits the game actually just keeps track of volume and a backpack can hold 3000 cm³.

What are the bolts made of? If they're made of metal, the whole bolt is metal and that weight will add up.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3979 on: April 16, 2020, 05:08:05 am »

Can caged wild animals/animals brought by invaders be sold to merchants?
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3980 on: April 16, 2020, 05:24:13 am »

Can caged wild animals/animals brought by invaders be sold to merchants?
See selling caged creatures. :p
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3981 on: April 16, 2020, 07:18:48 am »

I've read it, but it's a bit confusing. It says that only tamed animals can be traded safely, but then also says that only sentient creatures will be thrown out of cages before selling. A caged wild/invader animal is neither of those things.
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3982 on: April 16, 2020, 05:12:57 pm »

I bet it would be released if you tried to trade it.  I think any animal that is hostile to your dwarves poses a risk of escaping if you try to trade them, but that could just be my own incorrect conclusion of caution.  I tend not to cage invaders, so I don't have a good save for testing to see what happens.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3983 on: April 17, 2020, 06:43:19 am »

2010 discussion, can't trade the animal. Build lever and connection to safely unlock cage...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=68372.0

2011: how to release caged wild animal
https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/946526-dwarf-fortress/54509997
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Urist9876

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3984 on: April 21, 2020, 10:06:35 am »

Captured beak dogs can be trained and sold after training.
You can tame most animals used as pets by other races.

Trolls are a bit of an in between case: sentient and petlike at the same time. Creatures like that are only useful for military training. Other non standard sentient creatures can have all kinds of other issues related to them. Many are best used in the same way as trolls.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3985 on: April 24, 2020, 09:51:37 am »

Regarding allowing dwarfs to meet their needs, my question is about practicing a craft.
From the wiki NEED page:

practicing a craft           being unable to practice a craft            CRAFTMANSHIP           Craft any item

How can I find a list of all the ways to satisfy this need?
Some are obvious, maybe some are not?

I'm guessing the list of crafts when you view unit "v", "p", "l", "Crafts" isn't all of the possibilities.

(edit:  Is there somewhere in the raws I can do a search by some parameter?)
« Last Edit: April 24, 2020, 09:53:19 am by Uthimienure »
FPS in Gravearmor (925+ dwarves) is 2-5 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3986 on: April 24, 2020, 10:27:24 am »

From observation, I consider crafting skills to include any skill that can produce an item with a quality level, except dying and cooking. Dying, cooking, or crafting skills such as pottery and bookbinder may also work, I just do not know.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3987 on: April 24, 2020, 02:04:32 pm »

Any reaction works. Smelting steel (but not ore), pottery, brewing plants all work. Haven't made an exhaustive list, but retested to make sure and cooking definitely works (satisfies occupied/creative/craft/practice skill needs). Said list includes dyeing as well.

In general, I think pressing and making paper are probably best for mass craft satisfication on account of not being moodable, paper having quality level (that ends up not mattering), using 1-tile workshops for space-saving and being possible on all textile-capable embarks.

Brewing/Cooking/Pottery/Glazing would also work well with needwatch. First is something you're going to be doing pretty often, while other three have quality levels, infinite resources and perhaps more useful products than paper.

If you need an useless infinite labor, smithing and melting down animal traps would do.

Actual craftsdwarf workshops jobs are mostly moodable, and the remaining tasks generally lose to above for one reason or another.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3988 on: April 24, 2020, 05:57:04 pm »

non-quality tasks(woodcutting, smoothing, smelting, charcoal/lye/potash/? making) also give experience points to dwarves. Maybe it's the xp gain that the dwarves want.
https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Skill
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3989 on: April 24, 2020, 06:31:20 pm »

While work can make them happier, most non-quality tasks don't count for crafting need (which is focus, not happiness) - smelting ore, mentioned above, is something you can test yourself. Though there's something to be said for smoothing and engraving masterworks for therapy.
Pages: 1 ... 264 265 [266] 267 268