Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454129 times)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3900 on: December 15, 2019, 12:53:55 pm »

If you assign a dwarf some doctor-related labors, and/or make him a chief medical dwarf, will he learn some doctor skills on his own? Such as "wound dresser" or "diagnostician"? Or do you need to set all that up before embarking or hope you get a migrant dwarf with those skills?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3901 on: December 15, 2019, 02:40:08 pm »

Like all skills, doctor skills are learned by using them. He'll still treat your injured dwarves resting in hospital when idle, but will be slower and you wont get health screen until your CMD is at least Novice Diagnostican (which is the only effect assigning a dwarf as one has). You can give everyone doctory labours and later see who shake out to be your medics.

It's possible to ditch treating dwarves in favour of pondering in library, but if your dwarf has no scholarly skills odds they pick doctory ones at random is going to be low.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3902 on: December 15, 2019, 04:17:15 pm »

It could be partly due to incompetence on my part, but I assign 3 dwarves full doctor abilities, and remove everyone else's - and those 3 level up their skills reasonably quickly dealing with the aftermath of werebeasts, hostile wildlife, cave-ins, forgotten beasts, etc.  3 because odds are 1 or 2 of them will need treatment by a doctor themselves.

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #3903 on: December 17, 2019, 06:18:49 pm »

Yeah the doctor/nurse jobs gain skill when used.
I always embark with one surgeon: and give her the mining main job.
   [SKILL:7:DIAGNOSE:2]
   [SKILL:7:SURGERY:3]
   [SKILL:7:SET_BONE:2]
   [SKILL:7:SUTURE:1]
   [SKILL:7:DODGING:2]
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3904 on: December 18, 2019, 12:19:28 pm »

Soooo, do kobolds and goblins do sneaky sneaks?

Kobold thieves and goblin kidnappers?  And also raiders?  Do they appear in fortress mode reliably yet?

Im trying to rebuild my old DF modding files for the new version, and I would like to know about the aggressiveness of civs before I assume.  And testing would mean hours of work when you all presumably already have the answer.

Do civs attack your fort regularly?  Is it still buggy to send out your own raiders?

Can I start a war by murdering diplomats or chopping trees still?
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:21:18 pm by pisskop »
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3905 on: December 18, 2019, 12:38:40 pm »

44.12 is still the latest update, so it's still buggy to send your own raiders. Civ aggro is as it is in .44 - bit better than before in 43 and 42 (they're now supposed to recruit from multiple sites),  but guidelines to help ensure it in those are still good.

I've seen both kobold thieves and goblin kidnappers in .42 if you're from before that, but haven't really checked post-raids. Goblin ambushes haven't been in the game since the ambusher and siege tokens were made proper-function other-exclusive.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2019, 12:40:33 pm by Fleeting Frames »

DrFunke

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3906 on: December 18, 2019, 01:44:06 pm »

Quick question...
Are constructions made from Non-magma safe materals (like a microcline bridge) safe from magma-mist?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3907 on: December 18, 2019, 02:03:17 pm »

Yes.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3908 on: December 19, 2019, 12:53:10 am »

Quick question...
Are constructions made from Non-magma safe materals (like a microcline bridge) safe from magma-mist?
I would be wary about a wood (or other non-fire safe material) bridge. The center tile of a bridge is susceptible to heat, even when the bridge is closed and that tile becomes open space.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Romeofalling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • The Art of Amul
« Reply #3909 on: December 19, 2019, 03:37:31 am »

Are there any more robust collections of stockpile settings for DFHack/stocksettings? One that's been updated to include all the new items from the last year or two?

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3910 on: December 20, 2019, 01:16:30 am »

You might do better asking in the DFHack thread http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=164123.0.

neotemplar

• Bay Watcher
  • The [Weapon] has lodged firmly in the wound!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3911 on: December 20, 2019, 01:24:14 pm »

I’ve got a new fort running that is built between the 3rd cavern and the magma sea. I have no tavern but a bunch of monster hunters arrived and I accepted their petitions to join the fort. Now several have gone missing and at least one was found in a state suggesting they starved to death in the cavern where they were found. There have been no combat logs and the only dead creature in the whole fort is a surface dingo killed by a caravan.

So my questions are as follows:
Why are they apparently starving themselves to death in the cavern?

Are they just bad at hunting monsters? Its been a year now with no combat. A family of troglodytes even came and left the map...
If not under Neotemplar look for Vellum.

<22:07:06> "Terry": If a kid is old enough to play D&D
<22:07:20> "Terry": A kid is old enough to experience a dolphin being strangled

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3912 on: December 20, 2019, 02:09:32 pm »

Due to their convolutent layout it's notoriously easy for creatures to get stuck in otherwise impassable or dead end tiles (climbing/dodging on mushrooms/ledges, etc), which could explain the starvation issues. Assuming, they did die of starvation and that you have an otherwise open path to your stockpiles.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3913 on: December 20, 2019, 06:42:09 pm »

It does seem strange they appeared to die without leaving blood all over the place. You might be able to engrave a slab for them because they joined your fort, then read it to see the cause of death, but I am not sure.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3914 on: December 21, 2019, 12:14:50 am »

Hey, does legends viewer still work?  is there a new one?  and dwarf therapist?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 259 260 [261] 262 263 ... 268