Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 453971 times)

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept stringed instrumentalist
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3450 on: March 23, 2018, 01:42:28 am »

Sounds like at tree with a gather zone.  I did this 7x7 around the base of an apple tree, but needed 7z to cover/ceiling the top of the tree.  Apple cider and apple fruits!

Yeah, that's the idea -- but I'd prefer to grow the tree/plant/crop in my farm, rather than having to set the gather zones around where I find the trees when I embark.
Give your dwarves a pet
My holiday mod (only offensive to elves)
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: March 23, 2018, 04:10:01 am »

Sounds like at tree with a gather zone.  I did this 7x7 around the base of an apple tree, but needed 7z to cover/ceiling the top of the tree.  Apple cider and apple fruits!

Yeah, that's the idea -- but I'd prefer to grow the tree/plant/crop in my farm, rather than having to set the gather zones around where I find the trees when I embark.

Unless you're selective with cutting trees and paving over the wrong types of tree that you want , you can't specifically plant trees to get fruit its just not a feature, it would also take about 10 ingame years of growth to sprout because all trees have a same growth pattern (which isn't really like real trees that are variable). Treefarms are a longstanding development target.

On the other hand there is a wide variety of plantable crops aboveground and harvestables that pop up yearly inside specific biomes and embarks, all you require to start farming them is to wet a area of outside exposed land. Which can either be a building above-ground if you want to keep it safe, a open air farm or a underground farm with the layers dug out as long as its swept over with water to leave mud to irrigate it.

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: March 23, 2018, 12:06:07 pm »

Unless you're selective with cutting trees and paving over the wrong types of tree that you want , you can't specifically plant trees to get fruit its just not a feature, it would also take about 10 ingame years of growth to sprout because all trees have a same growth pattern (which isn't really like real trees that are variable). Treefarms are a longstanding development target.

On the other hand there is a wide variety of plantable crops aboveground and harvestables that pop up yearly inside specific biomes and embarks, all you require to start farming them is to wet a area of outside exposed land. Which can either be a building above-ground if you want to keep it safe, a open air farm or a underground farm with the layers dug out as long as its swept over with water to leave mud to irrigate it.

So I'd have to set up a tract of empty ground and hope that some garden vegetables sprout there?
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

Just give the Crossbow weapon the [AMMO:CROSSBOW] tag in the raws. You can make a crossbow that shoots crossbows.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: March 23, 2018, 01:56:31 pm »

Yeah, pretty much, just conserve some natural space or find plants that are naturally sprouting.

Sanctume

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: March 23, 2018, 02:10:30 pm »

I've collapse a square of surface dirt down to the stone layers.  I know trees turn into logs.  But I do not recall if sapplings survive. 

I do know that new sapplings can sprout since the tiles are still originally from the surface, relocated down a few z-layers.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: March 23, 2018, 02:48:34 pm »

If I make a farm plot for an above-ground crop with the [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF] tag on its fruit, is it possible to get my dwarves to just pick up the fruit that falls off and leave the actual crop where it is without harvesting it? [...]
Unless you're selective with cutting trees and paving over the wrong types of tree that you want , you can't specifically plant trees to get fruit its just not a feature, it would also take about 10 ingame years of growth to sprout because all trees have a same growth pattern (which isn't really like real trees that are variable). Treefarms are a longstanding development target. [...]

It seems like people are misinterpreting the original question. They're asking if you can mod farm crops to behave like trees.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: March 23, 2018, 06:07:38 pm »

If I make a farm plot for an above-ground crop with the [GROWTH_DROPS_OFF] tag on its fruit, is it possible to get my dwarves to just pick up the fruit that falls off and leave the actual crop where it is without harvesting it? [...]
Unless you're selective with cutting trees and paving over the wrong types of tree that you want , you can't specifically plant trees to get fruit its just not a feature, it would also take about 10 ingame years of growth to sprout because all trees have a same growth pattern (which isn't really like real trees that are variable). Treefarms are a longstanding development target. [...]

It seems like people are misinterpreting the original question. They're asking if you can mod farm crops to behave like trees.

No, I'm asking if I can plant un-modded plants on a farm plot and have them act like naturally-occurring shrubs.

It looks like I can't, though; apparently a shrub is actually a type of tile.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

New man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: March 24, 2018, 11:29:27 am »

Currently you can't, however, you can achieve this via dfhack script.

Another way I made in my own mod (https://github.com/AngelicosPhosphoros/AngelicosPhosphorosDFMod/). I grow plant on farms, then form logs from them via special reaction.
You can watch my commits that related "farm wood", etc.

If you need actual trees instead of logs, you can just place shrubs via DFHack (`plant` command), they will eventually grow up. Look further here:http://dfhack.readthedocs.io/en/stable/docs/Plugins.html?highlight=plant#plant
« Last Edit: March 24, 2018, 11:31:00 am by New man »

Jazz Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: March 24, 2018, 02:57:18 pm »

Oh neat, that's a rad script. I should've checked DFHack's docs first.
Give your dwarves a pet
The check-laundry script

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: March 26, 2018, 11:35:43 am »

Do derwes that share a room need more than one bed?
Love, scriver~

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: March 26, 2018, 11:51:20 am »

Depends.  If they're family members, then no, they can share the bed.  If you want to stuff two unrelated dwarves in the same physical room, then yes, you'll need to give each a bed and assign it as theirs.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: March 26, 2018, 11:56:41 am »

Yeah, I was referring to family members. And thanks, I've been wondering that for years. I guess my available room space just doubled!
Love, scriver~

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: March 26, 2018, 12:26:00 pm »

Yeah, I was referring to family members. And thanks, I've been wondering that for years. I guess my available room space just doubled!

Because the room space is shared, they will also share the available furniture for containing clothes & items hence ideally need one set of furniture each per dwarf currently living there, usually upgrading the room space to about 3x5 minimum (however you want to interpret that with 2 coffers, 2 cabinets & a bed) or really cramming it into a smaller space.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: March 26, 2018, 07:58:53 pm »

It's funny if you take this out of context of DF.
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: March 26, 2018, 10:14:15 pm »

Does anyone having issues with civilians sometimes not respecting burrows in alerts and jumping lemming-like outside of the burrows limits towards invaders? They always have the No Job listing while doing it. I think it is a bug, but I am not sure if it was already reported. It is similar with the issue with suicide markdwarves, but civilians shouldn't be leaving burrows while in alert state.
Pages: 1 ... 229 230 [231] 232 233 ... 268