Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454264 times)

Thunderclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3240 on: May 11, 2017, 08:53:25 am »

Just breached a cavern for the first time. What's the best way to stop the incessant "Item Inaccessible" spam?

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3241 on: May 11, 2017, 06:06:56 pm »

[d]esignate - [b]ulk - [f]orbid, then draw a 3D box over the caverns (including hidden tiles). You can then use [d]esignate - [b]ulk - [c]laim to unforbid things you actually want your dwarves to move/use.

Thunderclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3242 on: May 12, 2017, 02:02:49 pm »

Thanks.

While on the topic, when the job gets cancelled like that, is there a way to see which item the dwarf was trying to fetch? Earlier I was having similar spam issues because some logs fell in the river and it took me a while to figure out what was wrong.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3243 on: May 13, 2017, 02:21:00 pm »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to UN-SELECT what is grown on a farm. Lets say I don't want plump helmets to grow in spring. What I want is nothing to grow but I can't set the farm plot to nothing, can only switch to some other plant.

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3244 on: May 13, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to UN-SELECT what is grown on a farm. Lets say I don't want plump helmets to grow in spring. What I want is nothing to grow but I can't set the farm plot to nothing, can only switch to some other plant.

There is an option to leave the fields fallow in the same menu used to select a season or crop type. Like the f key.

knedl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3245 on: May 13, 2017, 02:37:21 pm »

There is an option to leave the fields fallow in the same menu used to select a season or crop type. Like the f key.

AH TNX! Life saver lol

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3246 on: May 13, 2017, 05:03:09 pm »

Anyone know if mechanism quality effects accuracy or anything else when it comes to weapon traps?

Snafu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3247 on: May 13, 2017, 05:50:21 pm »

Only time (from trigger to effect), if even that IIRC

Thunderclaw

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3248 on: May 14, 2017, 06:40:24 am »

Wiki says mechanism quality affects the accuracy of weapon traps and probably stone fall traps.

Quote from: Dwarf Fortress Wiki
All of the above traps other than Upright Spear use mechanisms in their construction. The quality of the mechanism used impacts weapon traps beyond their value. However, in weapon traps the mechanism quality seems to act similarly to weapon skill in an entity and will play a part in determining whether a strike lands. Code analysis suggests that mechanism quality also impacts the effectiveness of stone fall traps, though it has no effect on cage traps.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3249 on: May 14, 2017, 12:27:22 pm »

https://www.ddo.com/forums/showthread.php/483566-Most-efficient-TR-questing?p=5934019&viewfull=1#post5934019

Havne't specifically tried it myself, but I would ~think~ you could separate your non-edible crops (dyes, I assume?) into a separate area, and then use Burrows to restrict which dwarves harvest, and where. A "harvest plants" job is a job, after all. :/

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #3250 on: May 14, 2017, 07:35:02 pm »

When making shell helmets, do the kind of shell has an effect on the quality and properties of the helmet? Or is a pond turtle helmet equivalent to a mussel shell helmet?

Additional question : Where do shell armor falls in the cloth-leather-metal armor tiers? What should I expect from it?
« Last Edit: May 14, 2017, 07:37:33 pm by Cathar »

Vorox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3251 on: May 16, 2017, 10:49:31 am »

When making shell helmets, do the kind of shell has an effect on the quality and properties of the helmet? Or is a pond turtle helmet equivalent to a mussel shell helmet?
Creature type doesn't affect leather strength, so I'd assume it's the same for shell.

Additional question : Where do shell armor falls in the cloth-leather-metal armor tiers? What should I expect from it?
material_template_default.txt says "used bone for all of these, no data" next to IMPACT YIELD and others so it's exactly as protective as bone
Vorox likes gremlins for their tears.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3252 on: May 16, 2017, 01:37:10 pm »

Question on hauling optimization;
I have observed many times that when a (craftsdwarf) workshop is very full of items and a stockpile with space and bins is readily available, dorfs generate a hauling job for every item individually, rather than sending one dorf WITH a bin to collect however many happen to fit in the bin.

Is it possible to stimulate smarter bin usage or is it just not part of the current hauling logic?

Rusty Shackleford

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3253 on: May 16, 2017, 03:23:29 pm »

I think every item creates a job, but dwarves will pick up as many items as they can carry when they go to do one.

Try looking at your haulers inventory during a big job, they are usually carrying more than one item. I see them carry multiple small items in their hands without a bin too I think.

dharthoorn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3254 on: May 16, 2017, 03:44:16 pm »

I've seen them picking up more than one food items but I've *literally* watched them put one earring at a time in the stockpile for 100 times in a row without exception.

At the very least, picking up more than one is unpredictable.
Pages: 1 ... 215 216 [217] 218 219 ... 268