Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454575 times)

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #2970 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:48 am »

What does the 'Other' (k) category in the refuse section of standing orders cover?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #2971 on: September 19, 2016, 02:47:30 pm »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Standing_orders#Refuse_orders

k toggles other refuse not mentioned above, including vermin remains, rotten products, withered plants, damaged furniture, or tattered clothes ("Gather Vermin Remains" must be on for outdoor vermin remains to be collected)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2972 on: September 19, 2016, 04:32:19 pm »

Ok, so here is the question.

In the legends mode I can see that invading megabeasts sometimes steal items and bring them back to their lairs.

Is it possible in fortress mode to drop a giant on a pile of jewelry/food/gold bars and have it steal items and run away?

I am in possession of a giantess, who is the only one of her kind.
After my dwarves had their fun with her, used and abused her in their dark and pervert experiments with werecurse transmission I would like to toss her a bar of gold for her trouble and kick her out of the fortress.

Is there any way to set her free aside from abandoning the fortress?  >:(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 04:43:03 am by Evans »
getlost.lua # How to get rid of tavern guests
function getlost ()
   local unit = dfhack.gui.getSelectedUnit (true)
   unit.flags1.forest = true
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2973 on: September 19, 2016, 04:55:31 pm »

I think those megabeasts might be just ones with steal items tag, such as rocs (and dragons, perhaps? looking at toady's devlog).

To answer your question, I believe no with just vanilla (incl. retiring under abandoning). Fort mode stealing seems limited to just animals and thieves.

You could perhaps use dfhack to flag her as merchant so that it will leave with the next caravan. Not sure how to do this exactly, but the script for making unhappy dwarves do this is called emigration.

You could also perhaps mark her as tame, stick her in a cage and either trade that away or have it stolen by kobold, but I suspect this would just get her deleted or never released.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2974 on: September 19, 2016, 05:28:36 pm »

Really?Really?  >:(

It is just so stupid.
Am I the first on the forum who ever thought that *maybe* killing a megabeast is not *always* a good idea?

In every world I generate civs tend to spam cities like crazy. I had to limit year to 200 otherwise generation gets *very* messy.

But once I am past that I would sometimes like to make a world even messier place.

Setting a giant with transmittable werecurse on the loose really sounds like a lot of fun to me - but it seems like I won't have it.

Damn.

I wonder what would the world look like if every creature was turned into werebeast?
Do they still have children?

function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2975 on: September 19, 2016, 05:57:48 pm »

You're not the only one. I've wondered and asked about that exact same question before myself, though I didn't go as far as actually experimenting on one.

Mm. Werebeasts do rampage in world gen, but partially since they die of old age and don't kill all the time they have vastly smaller killcounts than vampires. Nonetheless, if it was every creature, you'd have civs get wrecked by them probably. Ogres from evil shrublands already travel across the sea to cut down forest retreats by punching them in the tree.

And no, they're sterile. Though, they can give birth if pregnant. Additionally, if you're modding every creature to have werebeast syndrome anyway, you can additionally mod them to not be sterile by removing that line from the syndrome.

Shurikane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.shurikane.com
« Reply #2976 on: September 19, 2016, 08:06:28 pm »

I recently finished a fortress and wanted to glance at its Legends.  I found it to be devoid of the info I was looking for.

Have I got any way of pulling more statistical information out of the Legends file?  Ideally I'd like to see my fort's citizens, their lifespan, and especially their kills - I'd love to know how many kills my best militia unit has gotten in the fort's history.

Is this possible at all?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2977 on: September 19, 2016, 09:17:18 pm »

Yes, it is. Just have to export legends data in legends mode, then look in the .xml file it outputs (having to look at citizens and each kill one by one, I think). If on older version, dfhack can be used to output more data which can then be looked at with legends viewer.

(You can also use legends viewer on newest version exports, I think, but I think the vanilla export isn't as complete.)

Some instructions here
« Last Edit: September 19, 2016, 09:20:41 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2978 on: September 20, 2016, 01:38:40 am »

You're not the only one. I've wondered and asked about that exact same question before myself, though I didn't go as far as actually experimenting on one.
For all that Dwarf Fortress is and isn't, the fact that mega-beast-like stuff in the legends does all the crazy stuff but in fortress simply gets trashed is something really bothering me.
These are objects of worship, destroyers of cities and bane of many starting civs. Making them berserk building destroyers who never run away even tho half of their limbs are missing is kinda... wrong.
On so many levels.

Mm. Werebeasts do rampage in world gen, but partially since they die of old age and don't kill all the time they have vastly smaller killcounts than vampires. Nonetheless, if it was every creature, you'd have civs get wrecked by them probably. Ogres from evil shrublands already travel across the sea to cut down forest retreats by punching them in the tree.

And no, they're sterile. Though, they can give birth if pregnant. Additionally, if you're modding every creature to have werebeast syndrome anyway, you can additionally mod them to not be sterile by removing that line from the syndrome.
Nah, I was just wondering. I might go adventurer and do some crazy stuff like bringing back necro books to my fort etc.
The above was just one scenario I considered.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2979 on: September 20, 2016, 02:40:33 am »

I kinda get what you mean, at least in terms of intelligence and such (though I find giant elephants tend to be the bane of some of them reasonably often).
Raw modding, making them steel legendary ambushing trapavoid non-buildingdestroyers would be far more deadly, though even vanilla I've lost an embark to lair and have heard reports of dragonfire, now affecting metals, vapourizing entire steel squads.

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2980 on: September 20, 2016, 05:02:36 am »

I will continue my werebreeding programme.

Will give it a try with dropping giantess on a top of some very expensive items with exit path open, but I doubt it will change anything.
Will probably have to save scum afterwards.

Good thing I have some siege prisoners handy so I can take their weapons and feed them to giantess once she turns - they will escape my fort once released, hopefully carrying the curse with them.

They do not get deleted from the world like other random creatures, right?
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2981 on: September 20, 2016, 05:10:01 am »

Nope. Visitors/siegers leaving your map may return at later date, though.

feelotraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • (y-sqrt{|x|})^2+x^2=1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2982 on: September 20, 2016, 05:18:39 am »

http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Standing_orders#Refuse_orders

k toggles other refuse not mentioned above, including vermin remains, rotten products, withered plants, damaged furniture, or tattered clothes ("Gather Vermin Remains" must be on for outdoor vermin remains to be collected)

Nice.

Were you the one who edited the wiki entry in the last 3 weeks?   :)

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2983 on: September 20, 2016, 05:24:23 am »

Nope. Visitors/siegers leaving your map may return at later date, though.
Will they now?
I read on wiki that werecursed people leave their civilisations and inhabit the areas around.

I would love to bring entire race back into stone age by infecting them all with werecurse.
That would also make the game world somewhat more... fun. For other civs too perhaps.

Thanks for the answer.
My only one of her kind giantess might not be vessel of total annihilation, but she will be instrumental in laying waste to their nation and turning their cities into bleak, desolate ruins.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2016, 06:23:01 am by Evans »
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()

Evans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2984 on: September 20, 2016, 04:39:40 pm »

Failure.

Giantess thrown on pile of expensive junk proceed to kill the kitten (and was knocked unconscious by it!).
Once she got up and killed the kitten she rushed back to my dwarves.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also the legends do not track giving curse to some random beast men, meaning they will not propagate it further.
function getlost ()
end
getlost ()
Pages: 1 ... 197 198 [199] 200 201 ... 268