Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454670 times)

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #615 on: October 25, 2014, 11:35:01 pm »

Big fat nope, and here's why: there are like, a dozen and a half seeds sitting in the stockpile, unforbidden, each in their own tile and in neither a bag nor a barrel. What's more, the q-menu of the farm plot specifically says "no seeds available"... but only next to Plump Helmets. (Despite it being winter and not having any dimple cups seeds because fuck dye-only plants.) It does NOT say "no seeds available for this location"... I dunno if those are different errors though. Either way, I'm actually almost tempted to call bug, if we don't get shit worked out soon. And yeah, I know for sure the seeds are accessible cause they were just hauled by hand... 99% sure the plot is, but I can just dig and irrigate another if it comes down to it. I guess. Highly unlikely though.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: October 26, 2014, 05:15:36 am »

Anyone else problems with cutting multilevel mushrooms in the caverns? I had some where ramps kept hanging around in the air - while others fell fine.

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: October 26, 2014, 06:42:41 am »

What is the best way to build a slow and space/resource-efficient repeater? Say to trigger an event about daily?

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: October 26, 2014, 06:51:53 am »

What is the best way to build a slow and space/resource-efficient repeater? Say to trigger an event about daily?
* Cut one leg off a dwarf.
* Assign him to lever pulling and have a two levers on the opposite side of the map from each other
* ... ?
* Profit

Sorry, I don't really have any idea. The thought of a very slow moving dwarf as vital component just popped into my head. :P
Using pressure plates with a long thin aqueduct might work, but not be very space efficient at all.
()==[:::::::::::::>

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: October 26, 2014, 07:58:13 am »

1. Lever with pull orders seted to repeat in front of dinning hall, with a lot of good mechanisms (to bump in room value).
2. pressplate in your fort entrance or other crowdered place.
3. Not that easy like two above, place minecart onto looped tracks, who will be pushing pressplate.
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: October 26, 2014, 10:51:24 am »

Unfortunately, the one-legged dwarf thing would only work until he got better at crutch-walking.

Anyhow, I have a(nother) question of my own - is there any quick way to jump to the center of the map? I mean natively, not by using the hotkeys you set up.

I'm wondering because I'm analprecise and like to have my core fortress (especially the stairwells) centered, so it gives me the same room to dig in every direction and one central point that accesses everything without huuuge amounts of travel across the entire map on a floor.

*cough* anyway.

I ended up with an embark where because of large trees, etc., the starting wagon was way way way offcenter, and I ended up having to do counting exercises to figure out the center. (I guess I COULD have just winged it and all, but enh. It would bug me later on.) So I got to wondering if there's a quicker way to get to "oh hey, center!"

laularukyrumo

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs More Socks
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: October 26, 2014, 11:04:17 am »

I'd expect it to be trivial on a 3x3 (or 5x5 but why would you do that) embark, but good luck on 4x4. Just guessing. I don't think there's actually a feature in-game to do that.
Quote from: Dwarfotaur
Everytime one of my militia has given birth in the Danger Room, it's lead to instant baby smoothies for everyone.

Gotta Catch 'Em All!

Dat Sig Thread

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: October 26, 2014, 11:25:07 am »

Oh, and re: the planting thing:

Last version and this one I've had problems on two embarks (one last time, and my current one this version) where farm plots for my outside plot are being canceled during building, because of "cannot reach site." This seems to be (best I can guess) from being covered with huge amounts of wood from chopping the trees/tree roots in the area, even though normally the dwarfs will just move stuff like that off the plot-to-be. Maybe because there's not enough nearby room or something. Or it could just totally and completely be a bug.

At any rate, wonder if it's related somehow. Although I doubt it, if yours is underground (cause plump helmets). At least not if it's caused by huge amounts of Stuff, and not just Random Bug. Plus it seems to be different error messages.

FrankyPlaysGames

• Bay Watcher
  • Immolated Dwarf Punches
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: October 26, 2014, 11:28:18 am »

Oh, and re: the planting thing:

Last version and this one I've had problems on two embarks (one last time, and my current one this version) where farm plots for my outside plot are being canceled during building, because of "cannot reach site." This seems to be (best I can guess) from being covered with huge amounts of wood from chopping the trees/tree roots in the area, even though normally the dwarfs will just move stuff like that off the plot-to-be. Maybe because there's not enough nearby room or something. Or it could just totally and completely be a bug.

At any rate, wonder if it's related somehow. Although I doubt it, if yours is underground (cause plump helmets). At least not if it's caused by huge amounts of Stuff, and not just Random Bug. Plus it seems to be different error messages.
This happened to me, I just removed it and rebuilt it twice until he actually did it. Ttrees could have definitely been the root of the cause if u c wut i did thar. 

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: October 27, 2014, 12:13:39 am »

Two pieces of track, a minecart, and a pressure plate. Pressure plate is set to trigger on track (default weights are okay.) Two stops are defined to guide the minecart on and off the pressure plate always every 1 day. You may set one to always immediately if you want a short pulse instead of switching states everyday. Uses a 1x2 area, a log, a rock, and dwarf power.

The tracks wouldn't actually be necessary except for the fact that the pressure plate won't work without a track underneath.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 12:16:56 am by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

taptap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: October 27, 2014, 05:31:13 am »

Two pieces of track, a minecart, and a pressure plate. Pressure plate is set to trigger on track (default weights are okay.) Two stops are defined to guide the minecart on and off the pressure plate always every 1 day. You may set one to always immediately if you want a short pulse instead of switching states everyday. Uses a 1x2 area, a log, a rock, and dwarf power.

The tracks wouldn't actually be necessary except for the fact that the pressure plate won't work without a track underneath.

Thanks, didn't occur to me that it can be that simple.

Sadly, I have to abandon the fort. Despite my attempts to salvage FPS, I currently am below 20 with 30 dwarves, most of them idle. If I attempt to do sth. it collapses down to 10-12. That is on a 2x2 4th year embark in a pocket region w/ shortish history.

nekoexmachina

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #626 on: October 27, 2014, 08:49:28 am »

My baron was killed in 1 day after he was appointed. Should I expect in DF2014 that I will have new baron come up by himself at some point?
Whenever i read the "doesn't care about anything anymore" line, i instantly imagine a dwarf, sitting alone on a swing set. Just slowly rocking back and forth, somberly staring at the ground, and stopping every once in a while to sigh.
It's mildly depressing.

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: October 27, 2014, 09:42:25 am »

How effective are diamond horns against a steel breastplate?

Also, has anyone found out if there are forgotten beasts that aren't the only ones of their kind? If it's an animal FB that has a kin somewhere, would it be able to breed?
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 11:54:06 am by tonnot98 »
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: October 27, 2014, 12:00:25 pm »

horns and hooves used to be absolute killers (War Yak!), diamond horns sound scary

as far as I know, FB and titans can't breed or interbreed
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: October 27, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »

horns and hooves used to be absolute killers (War Yak!), diamond horns sound scary

as far as I know, FB and titans can't breed or interbreed
They are actually unique creatures, each one.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 268