Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454532 times)

gaite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #420 on: August 14, 2014, 04:16:49 pm »

Is there a way to get the first cavern layer to be placed closer to the surface in worldgen? Also, will generating a longer history result in more vampires? I keep hearing about people being accosted by hordes of vampire migrants, but I haven't seen a single one so far.

In advanced worldgen paramaters, You are looking for a series of like 5 parameters, quite low in the list.  Something like "layers above 1, 2, 3, 4, 5".  1 is the top-cavern, by default its set to like 5 i think, try tweaking that downward a little.  (2 and 3 are spacing between caverns.  4 i think is sea and 5 smr, or something like this.  I only ever adjust the first for depth to cavern 1)

It doesn't go lower than 5, unfortunately. Guess I'll try getting rid of the other two cavern layers instead and hope that doesn't also remove the HFS layer.

Does someone know how I get an artefact Bucket out of my hospital?
Even deleting the hospital zone does not make my dorfs haul it back to the artefact vault.
Have you tried dumping it?
I'm pretty sure you can't dump artifacts.

I know that used to be the case, but there's nothing about dumping in the wiki for the current version, so I assumed that'd been changed. I apologise if I was wrong, anyway.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 04:27:53 pm by gaite »

Quitschi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: August 14, 2014, 04:25:47 pm »

Even deleting the hospital zone does not make my dorfs haul it back to the artefact vault.

Thats the thing...

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: August 14, 2014, 05:16:43 pm »

Thats the thing...
Could you build a well close to where you need it, deconstruct and then forbid it?
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 06:24:11 pm by Edmus »

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: August 14, 2014, 07:28:39 pm »

How do Advanced World Gen options:

1) Cull Unimportant Historical Figures
2) Reveal All History

affect Fortress Mode?

I'm guessing 1) might lead to different artifacts.I have Culling set to 'ON'; most of my artifacts seem to relate to Dwarves becoming King/Queen; if I have it turned 'OFF' would I see events like combat events? I think this also leads to a smaller size on disk since less history is recorded but I'm unsure if it would make a difference in performance while playing.

For 2) I'm unsure the effects as I've never played Legends Mode (which is what it seems to relate to). My guess is that it wouldn't effect Fortress Mode at all.

Edit: Also, is there a way to see what 'Age' a world is in *after* it has been generated (as opposed to during generation)?
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 07:32:00 pm by KingKaol »

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: August 14, 2014, 09:19:13 pm »

How do Advanced World Gen options:

1) Cull Unimportant Historical Figures
2) Reveal All History

affect Fortress Mode?

I'm guessing 1) might lead to different artifacts.I have Culling set to 'ON'; most of my artifacts seem to relate to Dwarves becoming King/Queen; if I have it turned 'OFF' would I see events like combat events? I think this also leads to a smaller size on disk since less history is recorded but I'm unsure if it would make a difference in performance while playing.

For 2) I'm unsure the effects as I've never played Legends Mode (which is what it seems to relate to). My guess is that it wouldn't effect Fortress Mode at all.

Edit: Also, is there a way to see what 'Age' a world is in *after* it has been generated (as opposed to during generation)?

I believe if you don't have those then sculptures won't sculpt it.

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #425 on: August 14, 2014, 09:48:41 pm »

Yes you can review the current age.

You will need to save the fort and backup the region save folder.
Reload and abandon, start playing the region in legends mode.
Its possible to view the events of each age of the world in chronological order, this obviously shows you the current one, its still being written and holds references to your fort..It probably ends with it's abandonment.

Take a moment to checkout the historical map too, thats awesome if a bit messy and hard to read.  Rise 'n' fall of Empires.  Good stuff.

Replace your save file, reload your fort.

The 'Reveal all History' is important if you want to use Legends mode.  Otherwise Legends is only populated with what your adventurers/forts learn.  I always flag that YES incase i want to use legends since I dont play Adventure much at all.  I dont know how or if this flag pertains to sculptors and engravers.  Im never certain how my dwarves know what they do, like the death of a random elf to a giant scorpion in our badland home 375 years previously.  They seem to have full knowledge of their civ's history plus every site within a decent distance of the fort.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:01:49 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Elarys

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: August 14, 2014, 09:58:17 pm »

If I create a large world with a very short history, can I expect huge FPS drops in fortress mode? Or is small/smaller (I really hate small worlds), still the recommended?

How large of an FPS drop do we expect from large worlds in fortress mode?

celem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: August 14, 2014, 10:07:04 pm »

I didnt see much noticable in past versions, but this may have changed with 40.xx and active world

They always seemed to save, load and generate slower (with all that stuff to load/offload).  as the historical figures rises sharply the generation speed dies very quickly.  the entire embark process seems slower too, selecting the site etc.  Once i was embarked i never minded or noticed so much

Now that we have the calendar and active world...the calendar will also be heavily affected, and the stuff deciding the events of the world in the background could get quite weighty depending how often its happening.  Really not sure yet.

I also hate small/smaller, i gen medium/large with around 300 years and am happy as larry.  I rarely pass 300 years just because it takes so long to generate.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 10:09:43 pm by celem »
Marksdwarf Pillboxes
I wish I had something cool to say about this.  Because it's really cool.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: August 15, 2014, 06:41:17 am »

-snip-

thank you! I should be able to get on with losing horribly on my own terms now :)
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: August 15, 2014, 07:54:29 am »

okay here are my questions, can i fish from my well? it is an enclosed cistern system with grates and flood gates.
do i need to worry about mud messing with my clean drinking water?
what does it mean if a liaison doesn't come with the trade caravan?
i had my first siege and it lasted no more than a minute. is that normal?
i have a crap ton of copper, what do i do with it?

SeelenJägerTee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: August 15, 2014, 08:10:26 am »

okay here are my questions, can i fish from my well? it is an enclosed cistern system with grates and flood gates.
[...]
Yep perfectly fine. You can even dig a hole in an aquifer and fish there.
It isn't important if the tile of water could realistically contain fish.

[...]
Yep.
Smooth the floor, make the reservoir 2 high. The second and higher levels of water is always non-muddy.

[...]
Don't know. If your civ was annihilated you should get no caravan either.

[...]
Can happen. Wouldn't worry about it.

Don't know. Giant spiked balls for traps? Copper goblets for trading? Build a road out of copper blocks? A dwarfen apartment complex, a skyscraper out of copper blocks with rooms for all your dwarves to avoid cave adaption? A hellish maze to trap invaders filled with traps (insert copper spiked balls here)?

damnit,urist,youhadonejob

• Bay Watcher
  • ugh don't build your self on that side of the wall
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: August 15, 2014, 08:21:35 am »

[...]
Yep perfectly fine. You can even dig a hole in an aquifer and fish there.
It isn't important if the tile of water could realistically contain fish.

[...]
Yep.
Smooth the floor, make the reservoir 2 high. The second and higher levels of water is always non-muddy.

[...]
Don't know. If your civ was annihilated you should get no caravan either.

[...]
Can happen. Wouldn't worry about it.

Don't know. Giant spiked balls for traps? Copper goblets for trading? Build a road out of copper blocks? A dwarfen apartment complex, a skyscraper out of copper blocks with rooms for all your dwarves to avoid cave adaption? A hellish maze to trap invaders filled with traps (insert copper spiked balls here)?
thank you

Kneenibble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: August 15, 2014, 04:36:28 pm »

I asked this question in another thread, not having seen this one -- which I suppose is a more fitting place for it.

I punctured the first cavern last night and found it devoid of all vegetation, which I had never seen in version 0.34.  I looked up some very old discussions (circa 2010) about this being caused by no water anywhere in the cavern.  Is it still so?  Or does Armok hate me?  No gaudy fungus wood beds for me.

WanderingKid

• Bay Watcher
  • The Overfiend
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: August 15, 2014, 04:59:04 pm »

No vegetation can still occur.  It's rare, but it can happen.

Lewa263

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: August 15, 2014, 07:22:11 pm »

(Hey, I have a barren cavern layer in my fort too. I was actually relieved that I won't need to worry about mushroom trees growing in my wagon entrance.)
Does hair thread get put in cloth stockpiles? Because there's no mention of it in the stockpile menu and it's cluttering up my Farmer's Workshop despite a bunch of cloth stockpile space nearby.
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 268