Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454492 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #390 on: August 12, 2014, 01:09:31 pm »

Weird.  My world, generated in 0.40.08, seems pretty normal:
        11843 Dwarves
        4567 Humans
        7043 Elves
        12601 Goblins
        520 Kobolds

Total: 36574

Non-advanced world gen, small world, 125 year history.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

m-logik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: August 12, 2014, 11:42:47 pm »

Aren't standing orders for outside refuse hauling supposed to include refuse in caverns? Unless I'm terribly mistaken, this was the case in 34.11. Is anyone else having trouble keeping dwarves from grabbing vermin remains from the caverns? I don't want to seal them, but I also don't want my dwarves blundering into giant cave bats while they chase down cap hopper remains.

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: August 13, 2014, 06:45:50 am »

Allrighty, I'm messing around with the dev build of DF hack and am trying to drive my only dwarven civilisation extinct... according to map information, there were only 140 dwarves in the world when I started exterminating them, and now (about 6 months later in-game- using the reveal and exterminate dwarf method means my adventurer dies too, but takes out everyone on-map) I've killed around 250, and the final 35 refuse to stay dead. Am I missing something? Do hillock sites spawn new dwarves infinitely? If, when I embark on a fortress, am I just going to get a whole heap of new, randomly genned dwarves, or will I get my dream of rebuilding dwarf society from the ground up?
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: August 13, 2014, 08:41:40 am »

I'm not sure about all of the details of the question you just asked, but for now I'm almost positive that the game just generates 7 new dwarves from nothing when you embark anywhere.  I don't think they come from population numbers anywhere and aren't historical figures.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: August 13, 2014, 12:57:07 pm »

I'm making a fortress in the ocean, a few quick questions:

- Will goblin invaders swim to get at me? 
- If I built a bridge 1-z level up, do I need to worry about waves knocking my dwarves into the ocean.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: August 13, 2014, 01:34:36 pm »

I'm making a fortress in the ocean, a few quick questions:

- Will goblin invaders swim to get at me? 
- If I built a bridge 1-z level up, do I need to worry about waves knocking my dwarves into the ocean.

-No, invaders won't path through deep water (unless they have innate swimming abilities, if my memory is correct)
-No, you can build a bridge directly over the ocean and be completely safe, if I understood what I read on the wiki.
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:16 pm »

Great, thanks!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: August 13, 2014, 04:36:52 pm »

Ok what do I do with these 6 crow people skeletons? Most of my dwarves aren't afraid of them except for my damn mason, who is such a big coward that every time he sees a skeleton he freezes up for 10 seconds.

When I first embarked my 1 male dog decided it didn't like them so he tore through the entire ....flock(?)..murder....whatever they are called, he even got a name after that. I was so proud of the dog I trained him and assigned him to the militia commander.

Suddenly my Mason wont work on work orders, he has no job, masony active,mats, and I have 10 people in my fortress.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:03:45 pm by locustgate »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: August 13, 2014, 05:30:24 pm »

Ok what do I do with these 6 crow people skeletons? Most of my dwarves aren't afraid of them except for my damn mason, who is such a big coward that every time he sees a skeleton he freezes up for 10 seconds.

Put them somewhere they won't be seen, or destroy them entirely.  Options include dumping them in a hole in the ground with a hatch cover on it; atom-smashing them with a bridge; dumping them into magma; or continuing to let the mason confront his fears until he grows a beard....
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: August 13, 2014, 05:38:36 pm »

Put them somewhere they won't be seen, or destroy them entirely.  Options include dumping them in a hole in the ground with a hatch cover on it; atom-smashing them with a bridge; dumping them into magma; or continuing to let the mason confront his fears until he grows a beard....

They've been there for a year......I don't think he's capable of.......such a sad fate a male dwarf without a beard.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2014, 05:41:04 pm by locustgate »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #400 on: August 13, 2014, 06:29:52 pm »

The Hatch cover page on the wiki has this paragraph:
Using a hatch cover, a garbage dump can be designed to drop items on the same Z level as the dwarf doing the dumping, thus removing risk of falling items causing injuries. This is done by channeling one square, and then constructing the hatch over the hole. Designate a dump zone over the hatch, and haulers will neglect to open the hatch, leaving the hauled items on the floor nearby instead.

Now, this is factually wrong -- if you designate a garbage zone on a hatch cover which is on a hole, or if you designate a garbage zone on a tile next to a hatch cover which is on a hole, the dwarves dump the items directly onto the hatch cover, not "on the floor nearby" -- and I can fix that, but I don't know what to change it to.

I don't understand what the intent of this paragraph was.  If you just want garbage to be on the same Z-level as your dwarves, you can simply not designate the garbage zone next to a hole.  They'll happily dump items in a heap on the floor.  What purpose does the hatch cover serve here?  For that matter, what purpose does the hole serve?  If you don't want the garbage to go down a hole, why dig the hole at all?

Actually, what I was hoping for was a covered oubliette.  I wanted the dwarves to bring an item to the hatch cover, open the hatch cover, drop the item in the hole, and close the hatch cover.  Of course, they don't do this (that would be too logical).  But if there's a way to make that happen, I'd be happy to document it.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: August 13, 2014, 07:37:59 pm »

They've been there for a year......I don't think he's capable of.......such a sad fate a male dwarf without a beard.

What's his current discipline skill level?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

locustgate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: August 13, 2014, 08:38:02 pm »

What's his current discipline skill level?

Shrug....he's a civi.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: August 13, 2014, 09:01:40 pm »

if you designate a garbage zone on a hatch cover which is on a hole, or if you designate a garbage zone on a tile next to a hatch cover which is on a hole, the dwarves dump the items directly onto the hatch cover, not "on the floor nearby"

This turns out to be only partly correct, after further testing.

If I dig a hole, put a hatch cover on it, declare a dump zone either on it or next to it, and dump things there, the dwarves dump them onto the hatch cover.

If I link a lever to the hatch cover, and pull the lever, all the items fall down into the hole.  If I pull the lever again, the hatch closes.

If I dump more items after that, with the dump zone next to the hatch, the items are placed on the ground (in the dump zone), rather than on the hatch.  I guess a hatch that's linked to a lever (and closed) acts different from a freely openable-and-closable hatch, with respect to dwarves deciding where to dump crap.

If the dump zone is directly on the hatch, and the hatch is linked to a lever and closed, then the items are once again dumped directly onto the hatch.

If the dump zone is next to the hatch, and the hatch is levered open, the items are thrown into the hole.

So, the only scenario I've found where the items end up "on the floor nearby" is when the dump zone is next to the hatch, and the hatch is linked to a lever and closed.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: August 13, 2014, 09:19:04 pm »

Actually, what I was hoping for was a covered oubliette.  I wanted the dwarves to bring an item to the hatch cover, open the hatch cover, drop the item in the hole, and close the hatch cover.  Of course, they don't do this (that would be too logical).  But if there's a way to make that happen, I'd be happy to document it.

Link the hatch to a pressure plate on the approach?
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27] 28 29 ... 268