Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454637 times)

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #570 on: October 17, 2014, 05:05:44 pm »

How dangerous does this FB sound?

I want to know before I invite it for fun inside.

It cannot path into my fort, and solid stone is blocking it.

I have not been able to test it's dust, and I've seen it flying around the caverns.

I finally found it, but on the third cavern level instead of the 2nd where he was originally. His "deadly dust" was called "Boiling Extract" in the combat logs, and I can only assume that it was melting the dwarves almost instantly. I lost my champion and quite a few weapon masters before he fell to a lucky headshot.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: October 17, 2014, 05:36:49 pm »

Hey, what's emotional shock do?  Is that any different than 'mortally afraid'?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: October 18, 2014, 01:07:08 am »

Say, I've just had my first dragon attack, and I managed to trap him behind some fortifications eventually (hoping to UNLEASH DRAGONFIRE upon my enemies).

Unfortunately, right now the entire countryside is on !!FIRE!!, which is worrying me enough to order my dwarves to stay in the fort. Will I have to just wait out the fire, or is it safe enough to just let my dwarves do their outside business without bringing a whole barrel of fun back to my fortress?

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: October 18, 2014, 07:11:11 am »

Dwarfs are awful at fire safety. If there's a wildfire around, beards will only avoid currently-burning tiles, so when the fire spreads, it can spread right onto them, turning Urist McHerbalist into ‼Smokey the Dwarf‼ . Fortress parts in soil are also quite susceptible when the caverns have been breached - cavern vegetation burns nicely.

Bearskie

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyam nyam
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: October 18, 2014, 12:10:10 pm »

That answers one of my questions; I was gonna ask why my dwarves decided to avoid going through my main entrance and instead take the long 400-odd steps to a different entrance, but I guess they're too terrified of the burning refuse pile next to it that they dare not use the main gates.
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 12:41:56 pm by Bearskie »

tonnot98

• Bay Watcher
  • Damp stone located.
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: October 19, 2014, 05:39:47 pm »

How many megabeasts is the "Very High" megabeast setting? I wish to make a world with much more than that, and I need to know how much it actually is.
Not sure if dying of old age is an honor or a shame for weaponmasters. On the one hand, it means they never got the opportunity to die in glorious battle. On the other hand, it means nothing could beat them in glorious battle.
Meow.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: October 19, 2014, 05:42:45 pm »

Gen a very short world with it and ex(p)ort it.  worldgen paramiters should tell you.  my guess  offhand is 200 or its size dependent
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

ptb_ptb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: October 20, 2014, 06:38:35 am »

How have weapons changed in DF2014? (Briefly)
()==[:::::::::::::>

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: October 20, 2014, 09:10:32 am »

Whips (and maybe scourges), bows and crossbows were all made less deadly.  I'm not sure what the precise differences are for whips, but armor actually helps against bows and crossbows now.

I don't think anything else has significantly changed.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:39 pm »

It's been almost two seasons, and fire is still razing the hills of Nourishedfloors. Any ETA on when will it finally die out? Quarantine is turning into more than a minor hassle right now.

Usually a fire spreads until every grass- or moss-covered tile on the entire Z-level has been burnt, unless there are large physical barriers to stop the spread of the fire.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Nikow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: October 20, 2014, 04:26:50 pm »

It's been almost two seasons, and fire is still razing the hills of Nourishedfloors. Any ETA on when will it finally die out? Quarantine is turning into more than a minor hassle right now.

Usually a fire spreads until every grass- or moss-covered tile on the entire Z-level has been burnt, unless there are large physical barriers to stop the spread of the fire.
Or water?
In my fortress dwarves are dying from old age.
Dwarven wine is a little bit like good chicken soup:  solid at room temperature.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: October 20, 2014, 05:13:09 pm »

Does anybody know why dwarves wont typically start wars?  They defend quite well, but usually arent aggressors themselves.  Elves have no issue doing such things . . .
PKs DF Mod!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:17 pm »

Or water?

a river is a physical barrier, dunno about rain. You can make dirt roads to stamp down the grass so the fire won't spread
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CatKate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: October 21, 2014, 05:58:23 am »

Hey guys,

one question concerning aquifers:

I am currently playing a map with aquifers and different biomes. Last four or five days (oh my god ...) I spent with digging through eight layers of aquifer using the double slit. "Near" the biome borders the aquifer is fluctuating horribly, I am encountering water virtually everywhere - enough to make me stop that fortress. And I also have struck the caverns, and all this with my dwarfs settling into two layers of sand so far. I guess I will start a new one.

My question:
I guess these fluctuating aquifers are a result of the biomes meeting - or can I encounter these in a single-biome aquifer map, too? Guess this would rule the aquifers out for now ...

Second question:
Is there a way to safely dig up to an aquifer (without actually piercing it)? Since stairs won't reveal the tile one z-level above I don't get no "damp" warning this way ...

[Edit] Oh, and third question:
How does an quifer behave if an aquifer biome meets an no-aquifer biome? Will it simply stop? Or also fluctuate wildly?

Thanks for your help!
Cheers,
Cat
« Last Edit: October 21, 2014, 06:00:51 am by CatKate »

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: October 21, 2014, 06:04:50 am »

1: aquifers an vary in depth based on ground level and what comprises them.  These all can hold aquifers, and will do so throughout their whole level.  If they go all the way to the magma sea and one tile holds the aquifer, than the aquifer goes all the way to the magma sea.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So it does vary a bit, and is further complicated by height (what is considered '0 zlevel') and by veins of gems and ore.  Ores and gems may not carry the aquifer, meaning with a big enough cluster of them you can dig through them.

This page should help some
http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Aquifer

And AFA seeing the aquife 'above'.  Nope.  Its a blind guess, so be sure to secure all tunnels, lest your fort flood.
PKs DF Mod!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 268