Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 268

Author Topic: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread  (Read 454210 times)

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
Re: DF2014 Question and Answer Thread
« Reply #3630 on: June 28, 2019, 09:35:55 am »

Not normally, as far as I know.  I'm pretty sure only animals are chosen as valid werecreature curses, although I don't know how the game chooses them and suspect it has some other restrictions it applies based on size, body plan or tag.

Duplicated raws (from botched mods) could possibly lead to werehumans, weredwarves or wereelves, but I think some of the duplicated raws bugs might have been fixed since I haven't heard anyone talk about it in a long time.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3631 on: June 28, 2019, 11:18:23 pm »

When a trap gets triggered, does the game announce it to you?

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
  • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
    • View Profile
« Reply #3632 on: June 28, 2019, 11:49:23 pm »

Sort of. For weapon/stone/upright spike traps it will generate a combat report, I 'm not sure about cage traps.
Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3633 on: June 29, 2019, 02:26:38 am »

No announcement or report for the triggering of a cage trap. I place Animal stockpile (with no empty cages allowed) somewhere where I visually will notice the new food supply.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3634 on: July 01, 2019, 01:54:57 am »

Also, even were-cavy will outweigh your dwarves. "Twisted into a humanoid form" means that I haven't been able to find any raws for weres smaller than humans, though some were just small enough that they and humans could, theoretically if they were inclined to do that, share Ostrich man (I think) or even Wild Boar Man sized clothes.

If your dwarves are too slow, don't use them. Lock hatches above the beast instead.

Tbh, after fps/boredom death, I'd wager werebeasts are probably the greatest cause for unexpected abandoning of a fort, and they're also likely the first, so no shame in prepping harder for them. (Though that's partly due almost all other fort-wreck-capable enemies knocking first before walking towards your fort.)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3635 on: July 01, 2019, 11:30:25 am »

Is it best to just kill those who are were-infected? Worrying about keeping those dwarves trapped all the time because they'll always transform can't be a fun thing to always keep track of.

Dunamisdeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Duggin was the hero we needed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3636 on: July 02, 2019, 08:15:56 pm »

Your options for werebeasts are:

1) Lock em away
2) Use em' for stupid dwarf trick (sealed lever room, megaproject of some kind, etc).
3) They will kill everyone
FACT I: Post note art is best art.
FACT II: Dunamisdeos is a forum-certified wordsmith.
FACT III: "All life begins with Post-it notes and ends with Post-it notes. This is the truth! This is my belief!...At least for now."
FACT IV: SPEECHO THE TRUSTWORM IS YOUR FRIEND or BEHOLD: THE FRUIT ENGINE 3.0

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3637 on: July 03, 2019, 02:35:39 am »

1.) Does Miasma float up to higher z-levels?
2.) I've had corpses laying in my base for months. They keep scaring away my animals and my dwarves will. not. dump. them. No matter what command they're given, they just leave them there.
3.) Is further study needed for the proof of climate change?

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #3638 on: July 03, 2019, 05:05:12 am »

Dumping does seem to be a low priority task, so dwarves will do just about everything else you have queue'd up first, including hauling things to stockpiles.  Fortress layout also has a factor - I had a doctor take on the dumping task, but was so far away that he would cancel it to drink before getting there, then took on other tasks instead.  As he was walking toward the corpse, no other dwarves could be tasked to dump it.  This happened quite a bit before I just made a few squads inactive and some of them dumped the corpses. 

I believe the refuse hauling labor is what's required to dump items, so you could try disabling all other professions on a dwarf to encourage it.  I had a dedicated food hauler to help prevent roasts from rotting in the kitchen.  Adding refuse hauling to that dwarf might shouldn't be too much of a distraction.  Unfortunately they were killed so I need to find a replacement now.

Loam

• Bay Watcher
  • a Moal
    • View Profile
« Reply #3639 on: July 03, 2019, 08:03:55 am »

1). Yes, it does.
2). Are these citizen corpses, or non-citizen/animal corpses?
     Citizen corpses will be buried in any available coffin if they are accessible - do you have coffins available?
     Non-citizen/animal corpses should be taken to a Corpse or Refuse stockpile. Do you have these stockpiles? Also, are the corpses inside/underground, or outside (check with 'k')? If outside, make sure to set your 'o'rders to allow dwarves to dump outdoor refuse - otherwise they will ignore any refuse-hauling jobs for outdoor items, whether putting them in refuse stockpiles or dumping them.

And re: were-infected dwarves - be wary of killing them, at least with militia, since doing so can start a loyalty cascade.
Thob Goes to the Surface (Adventure Mode story, in progress)

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3640 on: July 03, 2019, 02:54:12 pm »

2). Are these citizen corpses, or non-citizen/animal corpses?
     Citizen corpses will be buried in any available coffin if they are accessible - do you have coffins available?
     Non-citizen/animal corpses should be taken to a Corpse or Refuse stockpile. Do you have these stockpiles? Also, are the corpses inside/underground, or outside (check with 'k')? If outside, make sure to set your 'o'rders to allow dwarves to dump outdoor refuse - otherwise they will ignore any refuse-hauling jobs for outdoor items, whether putting them in refuse stockpiles or dumping them.

And re: were-infected dwarves - be wary of killing them, at least with militia, since doing so can start a loyalty cascade.
These are non-citizen corpses. They're all random animals that jumped in the walls and got killed. I even added extra refuse stockpiles and my dwarves have been walking right past them for months. No matter what I tell the dwarves, the game just keeps going "nope, you can't move them. sucks d0000d."

Forgive my barrage of questions, I'm trying to absorb as much info as humanly not-so-possible, as I'm growing increasingly addicted to this game, but my Christ on a crucifix stick is it frustrating. I just got sieged by some nasty goblins and uhh...
Good news: I actually managed to defeat the siege, and I really, really, really think I wouldn't. Every cloud I guess?
Bad news: My population went from like ~130 to around 40. I can rebuild slowly, but my good lord there's corpses everywhere, and imagine how long that's gonna take WHILE rebuilding everything. Now let's throw in some nice grief and depression in there. Should I tough it out and keep playing or just abandoned the beaten fort to ruin? If I get sieged again in this state, I'm brown bread.

Large Wereroach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3641 on: July 03, 2019, 03:04:12 pm »

Hi there,
I'd like to improve the settings for game interruption upon attacking events. I just had 3 dwarves bitten to near-death by an unnoticed cave crocodile and I only found out when I was accidentially looking at the hospital room...
does anyone know which line in the announcements.txt is the right one for a dwarf being attacked, or "initially attacked" like starting a fight?

I expect that game interruption on every attacking event may be a little bit too much in larger fights since it's (deducing from the fight reports...) a flood of "charging" events, but on the other hand I'd really like to avoid unarmed civilians hopelessly fighting without running for help... How do you manage these things?

xZippy

• Bay Watcher
  • ■■ ■■■■ ■■■
    • View Profile
« Reply #3642 on: July 03, 2019, 03:11:28 pm »

I also would love to know what the above poster wants to know. If I could tightly squeeze just one more in: do I have to designated a room size with a bed if it's just a 'free bed'? Or can I just build a bed in an enclosed room and leave it at that?

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #3643 on: July 03, 2019, 05:11:24 pm »

Personally, I like to set building destruction to pause the game - this is so I know to react to trap fb/werebeast/croc/whatnot with the bait building. However, to comfortably do what you want probably requires a new dfhack script. Uncomfortably, you could set pauses on whatever event you want (used to set for charging, to look at so-called 'spar through walls' bug), and then use nopause or save/quit/swap files/restart. Desired event is troubled by same announcements being used for sparring, so I would maybe want to use various bad status lines such as "gives in to pain", were I to want to do this solely through text editing. (The latter also has the advantage of being mentioned immediately, as opposed to week later when dwarf being missing is announced.)

But I don't want it much, either way - at the time of first combat report, your military may not arrive in time to prevent injury, any of which can give infections if not kill on their own. Better to prevent it from happening in the first place via layered defence of cage traps followed by ladder of bait buildings surrounded by raising drawbridges.

@xZippy: Note that random animalmen are stored in corpse stockpile, not refuse stockpile (differences being less sorting options, and not rotting armor and clothes).

I'd say try to rebuild at least once. You'll become more experienced.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3644 on: July 03, 2019, 10:01:07 pm »

You can also use a 3rd party tool like SoundSense to receive an audible alert when a fight includes an injury. The default Soundsense settings make a lot of combat noise when there is sparring, but if you limit the battle sounds to those involving bruising, tearing, and dismembering, you will know the moment a fight involves an injury to someone or something.

I also keep the SoundSense command line output open and this allows me to eyeball the text when I want to know specifically what caused a sound, so can see if it is something unimportant like hunting or an FB eating a crundle, or something important like a werecreature killing wildlife on the edge of the map, or that jabberer biting the leg off your web-collector.
Quote from: dragdeler
There is something to be said about, if the stakes are as high, maybe reconsider your certitudes. One has to be aggressively allistic to feel entitled to be able to trust. But it won't happen to me, my bit doesn't count etc etc... Just saying, after my recent experiences I couldn't trust the public if I wanted to. People got their risk assessment neurons rotten and replaced with game theory. Folks walk around like fat turkeys taunting the world to slaughter them.
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 [243] 244 245 ... 268