Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stop complaining about the new update and current dev cycle.  (Read 2160 times)

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile

Toady can't just do what you want now and add more stuff later.
It seems he's trying not hit a dead-end in development where trying to improve something would mess up half the game or add loads of work (Like the first game).
And that requires him to do what he is doing.

How do you think he's going to develop a game for ~30 years dedicating the vast majority of his time to the most sensitive parts, the engine and mechanics?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 10:18:06 pm by Xazo-Tak »
How to have recursive Fun:
Have Fun
Reclaim fort
Destroy your main graveyard with a cave-in

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
Re: Stop complaining about the new update and current dev cycle.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »

While I agree with what you are saying this topic is ill-conceived as people aren't likely going to listen and you have just given them a place they will feel it is acceptable to complain or defend their complaints. I would seriously consider locking this topic if it starts heading that direction and you sincerely want to stop people from complaining.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:38:17 pm »

It's the anti-them thread. They get angry about things and vent (although I'm pretty sure IAMTHEORIGINALBACKEREMBRACETHEOLDWAYSANDREPENT-guy was mostly just attention-whoring and being contrarian, why would he else drop that thing on a release everyone were being excited about, when everyone was being excited about it) and then we get angry about them being angry about stuff and vent. It the circle of life... or something. In any event, there is no reason why either thread shouldn't exist. Neither will accomplish anything, but hey, if you need to get things of your chest, why not? It's not like the other thread turned into a shitstorm or anything, at least not at the time of writing.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:44:17 pm »

People are allowed to complain Topic Creator.

People should complain.

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2014, 12:25:03 am »

It was inevitable.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2014, 02:50:02 am »

It was inevitable.
Please Lord Toady, set us up with a rephrasing system during the patching period.
Have Fun
Reclaim fort

Flarp

• Bay Watcher
  • and tearing apart the self-esteem!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:55:20 am »

Other than the one thread in this forum by the guy who's butthurt about z-levels (or something???), is this a problem? Everyone here seems pretty excited about the new version and fairly understanding of the necessary sluggishness of a development process manned by exactly one full-time programmer.

But then again, my complaining about your complaining about other people's complaining is just one recursion level deeper in the infinite stack of poorly-socialized Bay12 forumgoers.
He views any show of emotion as offensive, sees introspection as important, values self-control, and strongly believes that a peaceful and ordered society without dissent would be best. He believes that mastery of a skill is one of the highest pursuits, values nature, and finds romance distasteful. He holds well-laid plans and shrewd deceptions in the highest regard.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 09:07:37 am »

Other than the one thread in this forum by the guy who's butthurt about z-levels (or something???), is this a problem? Everyone here seems pretty excited about the new version and fairly understanding of the necessary sluggishness of a development process manned by exactly one full-time programmer.

He's probably counting the UI-threads of yore, which had the same 'you're doing it wrong do it my way god damnit' theme.

Xazo-Tak

• Bay Watcher
  • *Camping forever*
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 03:57:47 am »

But then again, my complaining about your complaining about other people's complaining is just one recursion level deeper in the infinite stack of poorly-socialized Bay12 forumgoers.
Hey, no metadebating.
Have Fun
Reclaim fort

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 10:19:31 am »

It was inevitable
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

inEQUALITY

• Bay Watcher
  • Living On the Mirror's Edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 10:46:11 am »

It was inevitable

It is terrifying.
Quote from: Carl Sagan
It does no harm to the romance of the sunset to know a little bit about it.
If the magma cannon doesn't count, they aren't proper scientists.
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 10:50:35 am »

It was inevitable.
Please Lord Toady, set us up with a rephrasing system during the patching period.

Complaining about in the update in your own thread telling people to not complain about the update?

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 10:52:50 am »

It was inevitable.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.