Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: What is killing my dwarves?  (Read 5075 times)

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What is killing my dwarves?
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »

In my first 0.40 fort, I was surprised to find that my dwarves are getting hurt by... something.

First one.

Second.

And the winner, he killed himself.

Are they climbing the trees and then falling down, somehow? I'm unsure, because I never paid attention to reports of dwarves falling down if they were any, but can't see any other reason. It happened in a fresh fort, with no meeting area, or personal bedrooms, so they could wander freely on their own.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: What is killing my dwarves?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:15 pm »

Any ramps/hatches in the fort? They may be taking a tumble from trying to avoid sharing a tile/a hatch opening suddenly while they were about to use it.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 03:47:46 pm »

Zoom to where the injuries happened, or search for the bloodstains or whatever, see if they all seem to be suspiciously near a climbable wall or tree.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

decev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:07 pm »

Chopping down trees can fall on dwarves now and injure them

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:04:39 pm »

Any ramps/hatches in the fort? They may be taking a tumble from trying to avoid sharing a tile/a hatch opening suddenly while they were about to use it.
Nope. Judging from the location of the dead one, dwarfs are probably getting hurt somewhere outside my fort.

I thought it might be causes by a falling tree, as my woodcutter died first, 7th of Felsite. Since I had a lot of logs already, I didn't designate any other dwarf for woodcutting, but two other accidents happened 10 and 17 days later.

Cuddles

• Bay Watcher
  • Who wants to cuddle?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 04:50:35 pm »

It might be falling branches, which also might be the cause of the collapse on the surface messages.
I don't bite.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 04:55:05 pm »

Yeah.. you might want to pay attention to the trees when this is happening. The tree will fall in the direction the cutter is facing (Ie: DT->wood), and if things are in the way it can get messy. Some trees only drop like 4 stacks of wood, others drop 20, so it can be a semi small square-ish thing to a large what the hell you just squashed my wagon thing.

From what I've seen the 'cutter' of wood will never get landed on.. but if the wood landed on dwarves, I guess it is entirely possible that limbs or wood bounced off and nailed him. Was your 'Planter' the woodcutter?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:57:07 pm by Zeranamu »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:04:40 pm »

I'm getting those too, and it's not when I'm cutting down trees.  My initial theory is that the dwarves are climbing into the trees and falling out of them.  But I have seen nothing concrete yet.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 06:24:36 pm »

I've noticed many of my dwarves travelling through the treetops, and they fall through occasionally. Gives the same type of messages you're seeing.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 06:26:51 pm »

I'm getting those too, and it's not when I'm cutting down trees.  My initial theory is that the dwarves are climbing into the trees and falling out of them.  But I have seen nothing concrete yet.

This is exactly what it is, I believe. I've had the same thing happen to my carpenter and mason on my latest map. Dwarves with 'no job' will often randomly climb trees, so it now pays off to designate a meeting zone.

I've also had several dwarves climbing around the caldera of my local volcano, just for kicks (apparently). That's considerably more dangerous. :/

What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 06:32:53 pm »

I'm almost sure that your dwarves are climbing and falling. I think a character hitting something else (and not something hitting the character) is the only thing that will say "takes the full force of the impact". I also don't think that falling/flying objects can damage more then one limb. I see character's failing to hold onto a wall alot in adventure, but I've never been in a particularly high area when it happened, so nobody ever gets hurt. So yeah, your dwarves are climbing, failing a dice roll, and falling to their deaths, and since trees can get pretty high, most casualties will be near them.

I could also be using knowledge that I've not confirmed and/or seen in quite awhile, and if that's the case, your dwarf's limbs are simply exploding.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:20 pm »

I'm almost sure that your dwarves are climbing and falling. I think a character hitting something else (and not something hitting the character) is the only thing that will say "takes the full force of the impact". I also don't think that falling/flying objects can damage more then one limb. I see character's failing to hold onto a wall alot in adventure, but I've never been in a particularly high area when it happened, so nobody ever gets hurt. So yeah, your dwarves are climbing, failing a dice roll, and falling to their deaths, and since trees can get pretty high, most casualties will be near them.

I could also be using knowledge that I've not confirmed and/or seen in quite awhile, and if that's the case, your dwarf's limbs are simply exploding.

This has seemed to happen to me, and I'm 99% sure it's just dwarves with low agility falling out of trees. Luckily my dwarves have all just been bruised so far, but my woodcutter managed to chop a tree down and have a piece of wood ricochet into his hand, breaking it. 
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Detharon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 02:46:45 am »

I've abandoned and reclaimed the said fort, and I watched what my dwarves are doing in their free time.

Yes, they're climbing the trees. Since they had nothing to do at all, at one point every single dwarf was sitting on a tree, some attempted to sleep there, but failed to do so due to "dangerous terrain". It's a matter of time until one of them slips and falls.

I know that dwarves like to live dangerously B) but perhaps they should avoid climbing trees, unless it's necessary.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 04:24:00 am »

Live dangerously my ass, my dwarves are apparently a bunch of peace-loving hippies who're too scared to fight even with plenty of back-up.
Pages: [1] 2 3