Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: What is killing my dwarves?  (Read 5065 times)

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: What is killing my dwarves?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2014, 12:56:04 am »

I also have a missing "flame haunt” in my units list. Maybe there are trees growing down there, and the flame haunts are falling out of them?
Or they tried to climb out of the Circus and failed. After all, if it was easy everyone would be doing it.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2014, 05:30:47 am »

So far in each fort I've started (3) my dwarves begin dying within the first year, confirmed drowning, and possibly timber-related injuries.

This never used to happen in 34.11, is it because of the new climbing behaviour and is it considered a bug?

KingKaol

• Bay Watcher
  • This is a magma.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2014, 06:35:06 pm »

So after a couple more drownings I'm beginning to think that my dwarves were thirsty and went down a down-slope into a pond without any up-slope to escape.

Is the best solution then to make sure every pond on the embark screen has some method of escape to prevent drownings?
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 07:25:25 pm by KingKaol »

CapnUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Sure, it's safe to drink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2014, 07:52:58 pm »

If they fell far enough into the pond to knock themselves unconscious, they could have drowned before waking up. The easiest fix I've found for dwarven climb-itis is creating a meeting hall (either a zone or from a dining room), and then your idle dwarves will gather there instead of roaming about the map exploring and testing gravity. I haven't seen if individual rooms/suites will help this as well; if not, dwarven friendships (or suicide rates) will certainly be on the rise.
"My doctor says I have a malformed public duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fiber [...] and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes."

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 15, 2014, 11:10:07 am »

I saw whole migration waves try to climb over the river instead of going to the bridge, only to tumble out of the branches and drown, even using traffic designations didnt help

Miuramir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 15, 2014, 12:48:52 pm »

It looks to me like the pathing calculation puts the same weight on climbing that it does on walking on the same Z-level, so dwarves climb trees (and then get stuck).  When the branches fall out of the tree, or something else happens, they fall and hit with the observed results.

Possible work-around idea: has anyone with this problem tried designating the above-ground "treetop" Z levels as Restricted Traffic?  That should increase the effective path cost enough that they would only climb if they're actually after something in the tree (or running away from something below it).  Combined with having a nice meeting hall, this would hopefully do the job. 

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 19, 2014, 11:11:52 am »

Does it work on invaders?

if migration waves will happily charge up trees to their deaths, maybe you could use drawbridges and unclimable walls to direct invaders up them.

Bobnova

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 19, 2014, 11:37:47 am »

My climbing related injuries dropped drastically when I designated a meeting space for idle dumbasses dwarves to hang out in.
One of toady's last dev blog updates mentions working on fixing this.
how do I lizard Werewolf
ther seems to be a little gecko problem somehwere.
O gawd, drank all ten beers. And 3/5 of this at dinner.  I'm dronk.

Dorf and Dumb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 22, 2014, 07:51:36 am »

Stilll have not seen a single timber related injury, ever.  This is with the windows version, no sound, not the legacy whatever-it-is.  Maybe logs are only a threat on Linux? :)

HammerDave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 23, 2014, 08:14:04 pm »

I've seen the collateral wounds from tree chopping, which surprised the heck out of me the first time but made sense.
Then a siege during the first winter ended with several goblin recruits up in the trees instead of leaving the map with their squad.
I have yet to see if they will come down if a dwarf walks by.

Jorn Stones

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 23, 2014, 09:54:31 pm »

A gray langur was sitting halfway up a tree.. I ordered it cut down. The langur got hit by 'spinning wood'  in mid air, and then crashed into the ground, heavily wounded.

Also, kill the roots, kill the tree, dig up from underneath, mine the root, watch the gobbies fall.
Pages: 1 2 [3]