Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How do conflict levels work?  (Read 2148 times)

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
How do conflict levels work?
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:49 pm »

Does anyone know what the various combat levels do?

christopher1006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How do conflict levels work?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 04:26:32 pm »

It's the goal of the entity trying to attack you. For example if it's non-lethal, it'll try using attacks that can knock you unconscious or disarm you. On the other side of the scale, no quarter would be a crazy bloody axe murderer trying to chop your head off.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:07 pm »

I know that, but I want to know what they actually effect.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 08:28:18 pm »

I haven't really tested it out, but I would assume their effect is as stated above. For non-lethal they are trying to subdue you so they aren't going to try and slash your throat or stab you and you can cease combat by yielding. For lethal they are making possibly fatal attacks but you are still able to cease combat by yielding. No Quarter means yielding is either not possible or a death sentence so it is a death match.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 08:49:57 pm »

Those aren't the only levels of conflict through.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:49 pm »

I can only think of two other possibilities offhand engage/d and the one where they aren't doing anything. Engaged means they are trying to begin combat with you, and not doing anything means the aren't going to attack you if you don't interact with or get noticed by them. There might also be an alert one where they are expecting to be attacked by you and are prepared for it. I think I have seen engaged but the other two are just what I figure might/should be there. All of them seem pretty straight forward to me in what they mean.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2014, 02:10:24 am »

The combat levels according to arena:
Lethal
Non-Lethal
No Quarter
Brawl
Training
Horseplay
Encounter

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 03:37:23 am »

How does surrendering work? I've set the combat level to non-lethal and beaten people half to death, but I still can't get anybody to yield... even after I've broken every joint in their body and they're lying on the ground bleeding to death.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2014, 02:05:21 pm »

The combat levels according to arena:
Lethal
Non-Lethal
No Quarter
Brawl
Training
Horseplay
Encounter

As far as I can tell, in the order you listed them:
Lethal: Obviously, combat will be to the death, with all weapons and techniques available to all battling parties.
Non-lethal: Weapons will not be used, just fist fighting, but don't let the name fool you, if somebody doesn't yield, someone will die.
No quarter: Everything goes, anybody in this conflict level will attack everything they see until they yield for some reason or die.
Brawl: Fist fight, people in this conflict level will normally only target a single person until they are unconscious, but i'm pretty sure it will also end if somebody simply falls to the ground.
Training: People will use weapons and punch, but nobody will receive damage, just be "tapped lightly".
Horseplay: People will grab others and let go, and repeat.
Encounter: Don't think this is a "real" conflict level, it's probably what the default is for characters, so when they aren't attacking anyone.

I'll note that a player controlled character is not restricted to any conflict level, and even auto-attack will engage people with everything at it's disposal at all times.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2014, 02:07:38 pm »

How does surrendering work? I've set the combat level to non-lethal and beaten people half to death, but I still can't get anybody to yield... even after I've broken every joint in their body and they're lying on the ground bleeding to death.

I'm pretty sure that at this stage, how much someone hates you dramatically over-rides their need for self-preservation.
So if you really want somebody to yield to you, stab somebody that likes you and ask them to surrender.

Edit: sorry for the double post, just noticed somebody else had another question I could answer and forgot that I already had a post here. Somehow...
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 04:21:42 pm by RealFear »
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2014, 02:15:16 pm »

^ This is awesome on some level.

christopher1006

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2014, 11:17:20 pm »

Lethal: Obviously, combat will be to the death, with all weapons and techniques available to all battling parties.
Non-lethal: Weapons will not be used, just fist fighting, but don't let the name fool you, if somebody doesn't yield, someone will die.
No quarter: Everything goes, anybody in this conflict level will attack everything they see until they yield for some reason or die.
Brawl: Fist fight, people in this conflict level will normally only target a single person until they are unconscious, but i'm pretty sure it will also end if somebody simply falls to the ground.
Training: People will use weapons and punch, but nobody will receive damage, just be "tapped lightly".
Horseplay: People will grab others and let go, and repeat.
Encounter: Don't think this is a "real" conflict level, it's probably what the default is for characters, so when they aren't attacking anyone.

I'll note that a player controlled character is not restricted to any conflict level, and even auto-attack will engage people with everything at it's disposal at all times.

That sounds about right except for the No Quarter vs. Lethal. In no quarter, the enemy will never surrender as for whatever reason they either hate you or have to fight you. In Lethal, they want to kill but it is theoretically possible to make the attacker yield or run.

ff2

• Bay Watcher
  • The Occasional Poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2014, 09:49:38 am »

I thought that no quarter meant that they wouldn't accept your surrender and in lethal they could.