Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Can't Get Through Calander Thingy  (Read 1473 times)

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
Can't Get Through Calander Thingy
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:19:42 pm »

When ever I start an adventure mode game, I cannot get passed the "updated world" phase. It just freezes and doesn't do anything. How fix?
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

RageBob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • This is the link to my stream. Don't click it :^).
Re: Can't Get Through Calander Thingy
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:22:20 pm »

Wait. All you can do.
Apparently as a streamer I must be a sell out. So I'm selling myself here; I do streams.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:58:03 pm »

:(
Sig

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:54 pm »

It's just loading (or rather, running a couple weeks' worth of history), you can see the day change on the calendar if you look closely and wait long enough (although the color needs to have more contrast). Toady's mentioned that it desperately needs some optimization done, and we'll likely see that in a hotfix in the next day or twelve. Until then, I'd recommend using medium or small worlds, and not letting history run longer than a couple hundred years in worldgen.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:37:25 pm »

The entire game needs optimizing. The lag is unbearable.
Sig

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:49 pm »

Everything is slower.
Except the world-gen.

Armok is doing rush-job with his worlds, apparently.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING] [CAFFEINE _DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2014, 04:06:13 pm »

This is unplayable. On an i5 based laptop it is still sitting there after 15 minutes. Waiting for a new release patiently for two years and it has a completely unplayable bug that would be apparent with simply playing an adventure or two. Bravo.

Edit: It loaded just now so about 15-20 mins for every adventure.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 04:09:37 pm by Proudnerd »
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"
"Eh how am I supposed to know which one's his?"
"I dunno, just grab the one that stinks the least and throw it in."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2014, 04:11:55 pm »

So are one-liners about it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 04:15:17 pm »

So are one-liners about it.

It was inevitable.
"Oi Urdim! Monom just died, can ye go fetch his old hand from the pile o' severed limbs?"

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2014, 04:15:25 pm »

This is unplayable. On an i5 based laptop it is still sitting there after 15 minutes. Waiting for a new release patiently for two years and it has a completely unplayable bug that would be apparent with simply playing an adventure or two. Bravo.

I have an i5 based HP too; guess what?

They're ass.  Intel plays itself up on pushing boundaries and I literally have to downgrade my drivers to be able to play ArmA 3 without crashing.

Furthermore, yeah it was two years without a public release, so there WILL BE many issues.  I understand you're angry--anyone would be--but Toady hasn't been dragging his feet.  He's been adding and replacing new, insane features that make the game way better than most probably dared dream it could be before.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Proudnerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My writing profile
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2014, 04:24:51 pm »

I have an i5 based HP too; guess what?

They're ass.  Intel plays itself up on pushing boundaries and I literally have to downgrade my drivers to be able to play ArmA 3 without crashing.

Furthermore, yeah it was two years without a public release, so there WILL BE many issues.  I understand you're angry--anyone would be--but Toady hasn't been dragging his feet.  He's been adding and replacing new, insane features that make the game way better than most probably dared dream it could be before.

Mines an ASUS, but yeah it's not a particularly great laptop. I've never been able to get window update to work for one. I manage to play Rome 2 and game like that on it but not well of course, seeming as it has a hd4000

And yeah I understand hes been working hard and stuff but this is just a bit hard to swallow after so long. Also the lag has to be seen to be believed. I started an elf adventurer couldn't work out now to get down from the new tree homes (awesome btw) and the game was lagging so much like 5-6 seconds for a move. I eventually jumped off the tree and broke my spine. lol.

I guess there will be a hotfix for these issues sooner rather than later.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2014, 04:35:42 pm »

Dudes, the release have just gone out. Wait a little for bugfix/optimization and it should be fine.
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2014, 12:00:26 am »

You know why it's running slowly? BECAUSE IT'S SIMULATING AN ENTIRE WORLD! Which was literally the entire point of this release! That's literally the main feature of the game! /rant

Also, it's hard to take anyone who calls it the "Calander thingy" seriously. At least you dont say lol every few sentences.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:44:00 am by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Bloax

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2014, 12:26:10 am »

Guys, cut the negativity - especially the ones on the defending site.

Just leave it running for a while you do something else is all I can say to this issue - besides advising you to play on a world smaller than Medium/Large. (The latter being absurdly time intensive at the moment.)

oh_no

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2014, 12:41:53 am »

I find that running a medium world for around 200 years has a very tolerable calendar thingy.

Meanwhile, the history thingy should be fixed in .03 or .04, so larger/longer worlds should be more playable within a week.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 12:44:47 am by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: [1] 2