Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The next version  (Read 2245 times)

Uristsonsonson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The next version
« on: July 08, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »

What do you think Rana Magna will work on next? When will it come out?

*Insert hype here*

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: The next version
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:16:21 pm »

...Within the next two weeks we will see the first bugfix release which should address some critical issues and maybe introduce content Toady had to leave out for release such as harvesting fruit...

...What, you think he's going to jump straight onto 0.43 or something?

Obibun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:32:14 pm »

Honestly as someone who plays for fortress mode alone, I'm fairly disappointed by having waited two years for largely no great improvements - it's as though we got approximately one or two bullet points out of ten

Two years ago the army arc was all the rage, that seems to have mostly disappeared

I wonder if the devs realize 90% of DF players play fortress mode exclusively, because seems like they shafted us on this release

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 02:34:14 pm »

Honestly as someone who plays for fortress mode alone, I'm fairly disappointed by having waited two years for largely no great improvements - it's as though we got approximately one or two bullet points out of ten

Two years ago the army arc was all the rage, that seems to have mostly disappeared

I wonder if the devs realize 90% of DF players play fortress mode exclusively, because seems like they shafted us on this release

I want to say it's more of a 50~% range, and this is coming from someone who doesn't play Adventure. We did get some things - combat speeds, double decker trees, uh. Plants. And to be fair - mayhaps AvMode got a bit more love, but we all got persistent, living, breathing worlds. And that means that all the stuff you *want* for Fortress can be more easily implemented.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 02:41:34 pm »

Hey.
You Fortress mode people have been getting content and mechanics for pretty much the entirety of DF's development cycle, stop bitching about it. Adventure Mode was really barebones in the last release compared to where Fortress mode stood (which is why the adventure mode community was the minority), and now they're more or less equally deep and engaging.

Abalieno

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 02:44:13 pm »

...Within the next two weeks we will see the first bugfix release

What? Two weeks?

I REALLY do hope Toady goes back to how he used to develop this when only an handful of us knew about it, namely with very frequent releases, often just one day or two apart.

And I also do hope for a very long time he won't go back at doing total rewrites that take months or years. It's about time he spends some time fixing the most basic stuff and polish this to a sheen. THEN he should think of starting something big again.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:52:21 pm by Abalieno »
 HRose / Abalieno
cesspit.net

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 02:46:21 pm »

...Within the next two weeks we will see the first bugfix release

What? Two weeks?

I REALLY do hope Toady goes back to how he used to develop this when only an handful of us knew about it, namely with very frequent releases, often just one day of two apart.

And I also do hope for a very long time he won't go back at doing total rewrites that take months of years. It's about time he spends some time fixing the most basic stuff and polish this to a sheen. THEN he should think of starting something big again.

Well, I said "two weeks" only because of a principle I once heard from another game dev:

"Anything can be done in two weeks."
;)

If it's sooner than that, I'm all for it.

Matt_S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:50:42 pm »

I'd guess that within a couple of days there will be another release that fixes the reproducible crashes.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 03:14:01 pm »

What? One of the things that went in this release was that armies exist and move around post-worldgen (and you can even find them as an adventurer). That's a humongous prerequisite for the army arc.

[citation needed]
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 03:17:18 pm »

Are you kidding me? That's literally the entire point of this update. How the HELL can you say the "army arc has disappeared" when armies are wandering the map and stuff actually happens outside the fort?

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 03:39:41 pm »

Other than everything you're saying being false as others have pointed out, people really need to stop thinking of DF as 'fortress mode' and 'adventure mode' and thinking of it as the fantasy world simulator it actually is. Everything added to either mode will eventually tie together. Besides, whining about adventure mode getting attention instead of fortress mode is like whining about feeding starving 3rd world children when we could be spending that money on Hollywood celebrities. 
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:43:07 pm by Dyret »

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 03:42:12 pm »

Are you kidding me? That's literally the entire point of this update. How the HELL can you say the "army arc has disappeared" when armies are wandering the map and stuff actually happens outside the fort?

Wisdom has been given.

Sebastian2203

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 05:20:15 pm »

EXACTLY guys, so if anyone else says Today did not spent his time properly. SHAME ON YOU !

My Urist Eternal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 05:29:16 pm »

Other than everything you're saying being false as others have pointed out, people really need to stop thinking of DF as 'fortress mode' and 'adventure mode' and thinking of it as the fantasy world simulator it actually is.

To be fair, these are still distinct modes within the game. It's reasonable to view them as separate, because they are. You have to choose one or the other when you start a new game.

I only play fortress mode, and while I would have loved this to be a more fortress-centered update, I believe Toady should work on whatever the hell he wants to work on. It's his game and we're just along for the ride.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 06:13:07 pm »

Other than everything you're saying being false as others have pointed out, people really need to stop thinking of DF as 'fortress mode' and 'adventure mode' and thinking of it as the fantasy world simulator it actually is. Everything added to either mode will eventually tie together. Besides, whining about adventure mode getting attention instead of fortress mode is like whining about feeding starving 3rd world children when we could be spending that money on Hollywood celebrities.

EXACTLY. A lot of people don't seem to get the bigger picture with this thing. Toady is aiming towards a PROCEDURAL FANTASY WORLD GENERATOR, not just a Fortress game or an adventure game. Those are just windows to interact with the world. Presumably we'll eventually have more windows, plus starting scenarios, and whatnot. This update is absolutely the biggest update since Z levels, no question about it. The world is now ALIVE post worldgen, this is a HUGE HUGE HUGE deal. What we have now is the foundations to add everything else mentioned in all the dev notes.

Anyway, for the next big update after bug fixes I am hoping for more site related stuff. I.E. taverns & inns, mines and other industry sites, more realistic village layouts, schedules for NPC's inside sites so they are not just faking activities but actually doing things with an actual purpose and schedule, etc, oh and improvement and expansion of sites for other races as well. Probably throw in the crime and justice stuff along with this, so we have drama and thievery and justice going on inside these improved sites.  Oh and throw in the ghosts and other additional night creatures that Toady hinted at back before DF2012 was released. I want those ruined/abandoned towns to have haunted structures! This stuff should come before the Army ARC in my opinion because it will give the armies and nations things to actually fight over and it provides a framework to start adding real faction diplomacy, politics, etc, I.E. wars and diplomacy with REAL purpose and not just faked or abstracted stuff. I.E. the humans and Dwarves go to war because human miners have taken over a valuable mine near the border and are refusing to leave, etc. I admit this stuff will have more immediate benefit for Adventure Mode players BUT it helps Dwarf Mode in the long term by creating a great foundation for the Army ARC that could come after.

Pages: [1] 2 3