Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9

Author Topic: [SPOILERS] 0.40 Secret Content Discussion [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]  (Read 29130 times)

thgntlmnfrmtrlfmdr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [SPOILERS] 0.40 Secret Content Discussion [NOSERIOUSLYSPOILERS]
« Reply #105 on: July 17, 2014, 12:21:01 pm »

dbay
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Congratulations btw on being the first to beat a vault.

Also was it incredibly laggy near the
? Because I'm in a particularly bad laggy spot right now.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 12:29:42 pm by thgntlmnfrmtrlfmdr »
Sid Meier's Tarn Adam's Dwarf Fortress: Civilization
Armok : Total (D)War(f)
Urista Universalis

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 18, 2014, 04:51:14 pm »

Decided to explore a vault:
Take 2:
3-4 deaths later:
EDIT:
Zombies. Typical, really:
More deaths..
Edit:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 09:40:58 pm by palu »
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Scruiser

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 19, 2014, 01:37:33 am »

Whats the status on identifying RAW tags that go with the demon binding interaction?
Things I have never done in Dwarf Fortress;

- Won.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 19, 2014, 06:43:39 am »

It will be neat to see who the first player to legitimately defeat this new HFS will be. They're name will immortalized in the legends of the Bay12 forums for years to come. From what I have gathered, conquering all the vault guardians is truly a challenge beyond challenges. Even just killing one of these things is quite a feat.

Didn't DBay already say he did it on the end of Page 6?  He said it took him building a fort specifically to crank out Masterpiece-quality Adamantite gear, and that even then it took him a lot of save-scumming (though partly due to crashes), so maybe you don't consider that legit, but it doesn't sound like he modded his adventurer or world, at least...

Regards,
Northstar

I mixed up DBay with the invincible adamantine colossus style modded character. Although saving and restarting over and over is an exploit, conquering a vault without any modding is an amazing feat. When I go back and read my comment it comes off as a bit indirectly belittling to all the amazing work people have done on this which was certainly not my intent. My apologies if that was the impression I gave.

Everyone who has worked on this subject, regardless of what tools they used to do it, have done an admirable job. All craftsmanship is of the highest quality. It menaces with spikes of awesomeness.

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 19, 2014, 02:12:00 pm »

My badass vampire necromancer adventurer travelled into a vault in an evil territory. Her only defense were a steel helm, two steel mailshirts and an iron mailshirt. Her weapons: a steel shield and an iron sword. She managed to kill an tricky messenger swordman and take his weapon. Now the slaughter began: most of the vault creatures got killed with one hit. The master demon was killed with the help of some undead tricky messengers. The Slab and a lot of divine metal scrap was recoverd and was brought to a near volcano, were I build a fortress. I melted the flashing metal weapons down and now I have a lot of flashing metal bars and a slab in my fortress.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 19, 2014, 03:19:40 pm »

My badass vampire necromancer adventurer travelled into a vault in an evil territory. Her only defense were a steel helm, two steel mailshirts and an iron mailshirt. Her weapons: a steel shield and an iron sword. She managed to kill an tricky messenger swordman and take his weapon. Now the slaughter began: most of the vault creatures got killed with one hit. The master demon was killed with the help of some undead tricky messengers. The Slab and a lot of divine metal scrap was recoverd and was brought to a near volcano, were I build a fortress. I melted the flashing metal weapons down and now I have a lot of flashing metal bars and a slab in my fortress.

Aww, you missed having vampire necromancer adventurer with demon pet

Saram-61-97-kon

• Bay Watcher
  • cum hoc ergo propter hoc
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 19, 2014, 05:58:49 pm »

Aww, you missed having vampire necromancer adventurer with demon pet

I will reactivate the adventurer, when I create a masterwork flashing metal armor ;)

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 21, 2014, 05:44:32 pm »

After reading through this thread, I kind of feel cheated with the vault I just finished. It was filled with a bunch of weak servants of jealousy. I was able to one-shot almost all of them with either an iron two-handed sword or a bronze longsword. There was only one guy that was different, and he managed to knock me over and tear up my leg. I managed to kill him after stabbing him in the neck a few times, rested in a corner for a few hours to heal up my leg, and went back to killing the easy guys. At the end, the slab was on top of some small pyramid thing, and now my guy is on his way to get a pet demon.

Am I the only one who got a bunch of easy monsters in their vault? None of that cool metal everyone keeps mentioning either. Just a bunch of squishy hedgehog monsters with no equipment.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 21, 2014, 05:49:47 pm »

There should be three races in there: a race of sentient guardians, a race of pets, and a single boss. Maybe your sentient race died out or something?

TacoSundae84

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 21, 2014, 06:51:11 pm »

I don't think there was a boss, unless the thing that ripped my leg was it, but he was nowhere near the slab. Also, I just looked at the logs, and I think it was a pet too "The Bane Of Asladilol (Tame)". I'm guessing the (Tame) means it's a pet. The other things were "The Servant Of Jealousy (Tame)". So two pet races (one of which only had one of its kind in there), no sentient race, and no boss. Not sure how the sentient race would have died out if they're supposed to be locked up in the vault the whole time. Is there a way figure out what might have happened to them?

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 21, 2014, 10:24:10 pm »

How do you find these things?  Just running into them?

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 21, 2014, 11:10:26 pm »

I was doing just fine killing holy wars(?; I don't quite remember what the minions were called) and master weapon users and wrestler for this Beast guy. Then I ran into the beast guy. And quickly died. I believe the minions and master fighters were ä, and the beast was Ä. I haven't read too much about vaults, so I can't say for sure if I'm correctly remembering their tiles.

(Side note, shouldn't angelic beings be represented with å and Å? Makes more sense graphically I think :P)

How do you find these things?  Just running into them?

From the thread in the adventure mode board about vaults:

Aside from cheating or random luck, there's no in-game way to find a vault.  When the book system is a little more robust we might have more options, maybe some ancient tomes hidden in tombs or locked away in the royal library, but there's certainly no living people who remember.

It'd be nice if you could see them on the map (maybe with the same kind of "view on map" option caves have in worldgen?)
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 04:28:40 am »

I don't think there was a boss, unless the thing that ripped my leg was it, but he was nowhere near the slab. Also, I just looked at the logs, and I think it was a pet too "The Bane Of Asladilol (Tame)". I'm guessing the (Tame) means it's a pet. The other things were "The Servant Of Jealousy (Tame)". So two pet races (one of which only had one of its kind in there), no sentient race, and no boss. Not sure how the sentient race would have died out if they're supposed to be locked up in the vault the whole time. Is there a way figure out what might have happened to them?
Currently the entity placement system isn't really great enough to place that boss in the last room, so it'll just appear anywhere. What you found was definitely the boss monster. And I believe that all the sentient creatures are historical figures, so you can just go check in legends mode what happened to them.

Pirate Bob

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: TORTURE_FOR_SCIENCE: ACCEPTABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:52 am »

Here are the raws for new Metals, they are all the same except for name/sphere relation and are generally better than steel and worse than adamantite

For starters, sorry if this has already been said, but I skimmed the thread and didn't see a clear explanation yet.

I agree that the new metals will be just slightly less powerful than adamantine, at least for armor.  Their effectiveness as armor (at least against projectiles, and I believe the behavior in melee is similar) is determined by (IMPACT_FRACTURE-IMPACY_YIELD/2) (see the wiki).  Adamantine has IMPACT_FRACTURE=IMPACY_YIELD=5000000, so IF-IY/2 = 2500000.  The new metals will have IF-IY/2=1500000, so they will deflect projectiles with 3/5 the momentum which can be blocked by adamantine (note that neither can block the insane momenta of vanilla bows/crossbows, but they are of course quite effective against melee weapons). 

As far as making weapons, they may actually be better than adamantine against everything except divine metal armor, because they have a higher density than adamantine (1000 vs 200), and almost as high a SHEAR_FRACTURE (2000000 vs 5000000).  Higher density means higher momentum, which in turns means higher damage and better armor penetration.  The high SHEAR_FRACTURE will cause edged weapons made of these metals to ignore any armor made of metals without SHEAR_FRACTURE and/or SHEAR_YIELD of at least 2000000 (everything except themselves and adamantine).  Adamantine, with its even higher SHEAR_YIELD, can also cut through the divine metals, but not itself.  Since neither metal can ignore adamantine armor, the divine metal, with its higher mass, stands a better chance of penetrating adamantine because it will have a higher momentum.  This is definitely true for ranged weapons, and I suspect also for melee but I have not yet worked out all the details of melee mechanics so I'm not sure (it's possible that attackers could swing heavier weapons slower, giving them similar momentum to lighter ones, but the conventional wisdom is this is not the case and heavier weapons are better).  The superior material properties of adamantine may also cause it to do more damage and/or penetrate deeper into flesh, but I am not sure about this either.

In any case, I am working on melee testing now, and would definitely like to include the divine metals.  I can't seem to find the raws for them - which file contains them?  I guess I can just copy the numbers from this post, but it would be nice to know where DF keeps them.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Certified geezer & only man to win 0.40.24
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 10:35:12 am »

What about an analysis of divine cloth? Do we even have the raws for it?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9