Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fruit brewing  (Read 1728 times)

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
Fruit brewing
« on: July 08, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »

Hi everybody!

I just figured I'd ask.  Is it possible to brew fruits at the moment?  I figured I'd embark with a few since they where only 2 points each really and it looks like you should be able too, but for some reason, I just can't brew them.  In my case, I brought along blueberries.  I can brew plump helmets just fine.  Everything is unforbidden, they are sitting in a stockpile, I have available barrels and the like.  I have also set them to be brew able and cook able from the kitchen screen.

I know it may just be possible that they aren't brew able since I'm hearing on the forums that fruits aren't even harvest able properly yet.  They are considered a spice it seems.  I just figured I would ask to see if anybody else is having this problem or not.  This is not a big deal either as it was only 50 embark points and I have tons of plump helmets to brew too so I don't have any big problems if I can't, but I just figured it would be nice if I could really.  (It would be really cheap alcohol if I could.  I'm always looking to min-max my alcohol production if I can.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fruit brewing
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 02:10:41 pm »

I haven't experienced it myself but others have mentioned a brewing bug where they can't brew anything at all.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 02:35:51 pm »

I figured I'd embark with a few since they where only 2 points each really and it looks like you should be able too, but for some reason, I just can't brew them.  In my case, I brought along blueberries.

I have some "blueberry bushes [4]" which I gathered with Herbalism.  They do not appear in the z -> Kitchen menu at all, so there's apparently no way to Cook or Brew them (or to turn off Cooking or Brewing thereof).

"Blueberry Bush" does appear in the plant stockpile settings screen.  Four times.  So at least they get stockpiled properly....

Oho!  There is another stockpile settings section, Food -> Fruit/Leaves, which has "Blueberry" inside it.  So apparently there is supposed to be a way to convert the "blueberry bushes" into "blueberries", but it probably isn't implemented yet.  Or we haven't discovered it yet.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:41:11 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:23 pm »

I think that plants are modelled correctly now, I've watched my blueberry plants go from shrubs, to having flower buds, to flowers. If they are gathered anywhere in there, you don't get blueberries, just stacks of leaves.

mauricio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:59:53 pm »

I've managed to brew my embark-bought fruit after taking them off their bags, tough i'ven't tested it again to check if it was just that.

Neckbeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The Mouthiest of Breathers
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:25 pm »

I've managed to brew my embark-bought fruit after taking them off their bags, tough i'ven't tested it again to check if it was just that.

Okay, next embark I'll have to try that.

Edit:  Do you remember which fruit you brought along?

Edit 2:  It seems to be that the fruit must not be in the bags in order to be brewed.  Either that or I had to buy them from the caravan.  Either way, I now have blackberry wine.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:37:27 pm by Neckbeard »

Pancakes

• Bay Watcher
  • Cancels drink: Too insane
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 07:25:01 pm »

I've noticed where if I purchased [5] Strawberries from the caravan, I could brew them all and get their respective seeds. However, upon going to repeat the process for the harvested crop, I can no longer brew the strawberries, and in the kitchen screen, the strawberries do not have brewing even listed as a possibility, even though prior it had been an option (and turned on). I'm assuming one of the following things:

A) Certain crops have bush forms/forms that require processing before they may be brewed

-or-

B) There is a glitch with some harvested crops where they have a different... "identity" of sorts, where they are not like their "un-bugged"versions brought by embark/caravans.               (2 versions of the same crop, the harvested version is bugged, but the purchased version is not)

mauricio

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2014, 05:00:45 pm »

B) There is a glitch with some harvested crops where they have a different... "identity" of sorts, where they are not like their "un-bugged"versions brought by embark/caravans.               (2 versions of the same crop, the harvested version is bugged, but the purchased version is not)
That's the one. Just look at the raws and you can see that the harvested plant and fruits/leaves are different objects, and there's no way to change one into the other unless you edit them.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2014, 08:55:52 am »

That's the one. Just look at the raws and you can see that the harvested plant and fruits/leaves are different objects, and there's no way to change one into the other unless you edit them.
Fruit conversion mod go go go!
(Seriously, it sounds like a fairly simple custom workshop: Turn fruit type X into fruit type Y)