Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mystery Babies?  (Read 16751 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mystery Babies?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 02:28:41 pm »

Winged Troll baby?... and its Husband!? What is a Winged troll baby, and why does it have a Husband? That's the question I need answered.
It's a naming convention. I've noticed it in Legends mode, when a dark/evil/w/e creature like a Crone kidnaps someone, they brainwash them and transform them in their mate, that is to say Crone Husband or Crone Wife. Apparently, that makes them a species of their own, and implicitly, their offsprings too.

Dammit guys, you're making me want to turn invasion on. Alternately, please provide a save so I can explore the caves for them.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 02:31:32 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 04:52:46 pm »

Wave o' Babies!

Suddenly Teen Girl Squad makes a lot more sense.

Cheerleader! "I am on an important mission."
So-And-So! "It is terrifying."
Whatserface! "It was inevitable."
The Ugly One! "You first, coward!"
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 05:30:20 pm »

I've found something interesting in Legends Mode: Dark Pits, which I suppose are underground (goblin) equivalents of Dark Fortresses. This may explain a few things, you may have built over one of those.
Really want one of those saves now.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

mario384

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 06:29:46 pm »

It was inevitable.

NineFourEightSeven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 07:00:25 pm »

Maybe only slightly related, but I also have wild animals in the cavern layers listed as missing.

I have yet to even break into the caverns.

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 08:29:46 pm »

It is terrifying
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 09:16:48 pm »

I've found something interesting in Legends Mode: Dark Pits, which I suppose are underground (goblin) equivalents of Dark Fortresses. This may explain a few things, you may have built over one of those.

I thought those were towers for goblins that are like an outpost with small ravines and more stuff that i dont know how to describe.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 09:20:08 pm »

I have yet to check out dark pits in adventure mode, but maybe they are connected into the cave system, and babies/babysnatchers holding babies are waltzing around underground. Quick! Someone make a expedition to those pits, for the curiosity!
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2014, 04:09:22 pm »

They're jest a bunch of towers with goblins in them, sometimes with bedrooms below, and trenches.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Archereon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2014, 07:28:16 pm »

Based on what Toady's said in the announcement thread for the hotfix, it sounds like the mystery babies are the result of newly born babies being "duped" and somehow ending up on your unit list; it's thus almost certainly not from goblin snatchers running around through the underground.
I want to tell you they were bad men, cephalo.  I want to tell you that with a better overseer the Fortress never would've gotten so bad someone would get offed in a pointless fisticuffs.
But the sad truth charlie?
It was inevitable.

Deepblade

• Bay Watcher
  • Tholtarmid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:51 pm »

Based on what Toady's said in the announcement thread for the hotfix, it sounds like the mystery babies are the result of newly born babies being "duped" and somehow ending up on your unit list; it's thus almost certainly not from goblin snatchers running around through the underground.

Sounds similar to what someone in the thread said earlier. Not sure who said it. hmmmm.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 09:10:59 pm by Deepblade »
Deepblade's Standardized Creature Parts, for when you're pissed about all the different types of animal products there are.

fearlesslittletoaster

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 11, 2014, 12:24:32 am »

I am going to call this a Babystorm. On an interesting note, while one is going on your framerate tanks. The babies go away and your frame rate goes back up. My fort only has 18 Dwarves, exactly zero mods, and its not located anywhere even remotely exotic, so it has to be the Babystorm crushing the FPS.

I am currently running 40.0.02 and it has been stable otherwise.

I have a clean save of a fortress undergoing one if anyone wants it, but I have to leave until Sunday night right after this post. I will check back here if anyone still wants one then.

Repseki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 11, 2014, 04:52:35 am »

While it's good that Toady seems to have an idea about whats going on, and hopefully how to fix it, I'm slightly disappointed it wasn't underground snatcher patrols using the caverns to return home.

Cleaning up all the goblinite/body parts can be tough enough in some situations, imagine all that And a flood of foreign babies.

Parhelion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 11, 2014, 07:51:14 am »

I'm disappointed, too.

I would love to liberate all those babies from the snatchers as they crossed into my domain, just so I could use them as a personal slave force and meat shields. 

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »

Specifically, the babies were coming from historical births elsewhere in the world. All of them. Except they were getting placed on your unit list by mistake.

It also looks like the babystorms were causing the minimap crashes a lot of people were having, so another crash bites the dust. My 40.02 fort is salvageable!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 09:41:22 pm by Untelligent »
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.
Pages: 1 2 [3]