Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: 40.01 framerate issues?  (Read 5647 times)

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
Re: 40.01 framerate issues?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2014, 04:52:39 pm »

Nope. I've also re downloaded the whole game to try that out.

Well.. only thing I can think of is my processor is better for DF than I thought it was :o
I kid, I kid. Checked your outside programs in task manager? Made sure virus scanners didn't decide this was a good time to run? Not sure if you're using W7, but it defrags when I'm not using the computer and stops as soon as I do, so unless you forced it that shouldn't be a problem. What about indexes? The more things you have indexed for search can cause slowdown just because it's always prepared to look them up. Uh. Hm.

Have you installed, changed, done ANYTHING between 34 and 40? Can you load up 34 now and get the same FPS that you are used to?

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2014, 05:47:16 pm »

If you had a slow calendar advance, that'll bleed directly over to your fort (just smeared out over a longer time for each day -- the exact same stuff is being done).  Speeding up the calendar is one of my top priorities, and it is very do-able, but until that is done, smaller worlds with shorter histories should have you zipping along.  Aside from any other FPS stuff I'm not aware of yet.

I don't want to argue with the master, but my 256x256 that took aaaaaages to get past the calendar runs just fine in my Fortress embark - I'm getting the same FPS yearly (100(50)) as I do with a 64x64 or 32x32 world after a few migraint waves. It just takes a helluva lot longer to go through the calendar on the bigger maps :) Or are you not saying what I think you're saying? Too much/not enough ale for me!

This is not necessarily inconsistent with what Toady said. He's saying that if it took, say, 6 seconds per day in calendar advance, then it will take 6 seconds to calculate each day of world progress in game.

At 100 FPS, it takes 12 seconds to get through a day.

THUS, if your computer is fast enough to do EVERYTHING ELSE but calendar advancing at a rate of 200 FPS or higher, then there are already 6 spare seconds available for calendar advance without you noticing any dip below your throttled 100 FPS. It's still just as slow as during world gen, it's just that since you're forcing your FPS down to 100, your processor has room to spare to accommodate it.

If you change your initialization settings to "unrestricted FPS" then you should see the difference (in my toy example, what you would see is 200FPS in 0.34 and just barely 100FPS in 0.40)
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

ledgekindred

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh Boy, Microcline
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2014, 06:45:23 pm »

I have a personal theory that this is related to the "mystery babies" problem mentioned here:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=140075.0

My own fort was running along just fine until I visited the unit list at one point and noticed a "Goblin Baby (Tame)" on the unit list.  The more started showing up under the "Other" list, until I had a good 75 mystery babies wandering around somewhere in my starting area.  The more I got, the slower the game went.

For those of you seeing big slowdowns, see if you have a ton of babies that aren't actually in your fort under your unit lists.  I'd like to know if they are related.
I don't understand, though that is about right with anything DF related.
I just hope he dies the same death that all dwarfs deserve: liver disease.
The legend of Reg: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=65866.0
Atir Stigildegel, Legless Hero of Diamondrelic: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=83136.0

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2014, 08:16:57 pm »

I'm playing a pocket world with temperature and weather turned off and the second shortest history option but my fps is 30 to 40 about  three seasons in.
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2014, 08:20:24 pm »

Parallel to this topic...  what are the current recommended Print_Mode settings?  I'm running with Standard at the moment, but I don't know what other people find works well.

Actually, I just did a pretty simple test of changing each of the graphics modes in turns, loading a fort I'm currently playing, and then running the game for 60 seconds unpaused. 
From this, I found that Standard was the fastest @ 95, followed by VBO, Partial:2, Partial:3 and Frame_Buffer @ 89 FPS.  Then, the 2d modes represented an almost 10 FPS Drop, w. 2DASYNC @ 81, 2DSW @ 80 and 2d @ 79.
Accum_Buffer was too glitchy to use.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 08:54:49 pm by Kohou »
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 08, 2014, 10:24:13 pm »

If you had a slow calendar advance, that'll bleed directly over to your fort (just smeared out over a longer time for each day -- the exact same stuff is being done).  Speeding up the calendar is one of my top priorities, and it is very do-able, but until that is done, smaller worlds with shorter histories should have you zipping along.  Aside from any other FPS stuff I'm not aware of yet.

I don't want to argue with the master, but my 256x256 that took aaaaaages to get past the calendar runs just fine in my Fortress embark - I'm getting the same FPS yearly (100(50)) as I do with a 64x64 or 32x32 world after a few migraint waves. It just takes a helluva lot longer to go through the calendar on the bigger maps :) Or are you not saying what I think you're saying? Too much/not enough ale for me!

This is not necessarily inconsistent with what Toady said. He's saying that if it took, say, 6 seconds per day in calendar advance, then it will take 6 seconds to calculate each day of world progress in game.

At 100 FPS, it takes 12 seconds to get through a day.

THUS, if your computer is fast enough to do EVERYTHING ELSE but calendar advancing at a rate of 200 FPS or higher, then there are already 6 spare seconds available for calendar advance without you noticing any dip below your throttled 100 FPS. It's still just as slow as during world gen, it's just that since you're forcing your FPS down to 100, your processor has room to spare to accommodate it.

If you change your initialization settings to "unrestricted FPS" then you should see the difference (in my toy example, what you would see is 200FPS in 0.34 and just barely 100FPS in 0.40)

This sort of makes sense to me. True, I'm inebriated, but it does make sense. Thanks for putting light on that, Gav

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 08, 2014, 10:50:50 pm »

So I retired and reclaimed a fort and the game slowed down to a crawl. Like 4 FPS and dwarves were scattered all through the caverns and the whole fort remained unexplored...

Just going to say, retiring and reclaiming is still very buggy :P
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Authority2

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC: INCREASE_FPS: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 08, 2014, 10:57:44 pm »

What does the graphic mode change anyway?
"But I tell you what the Queen wants is impossible. The story of her mandate to create floodgates in our desert fortress cannot be told in less than 314160 stanzas! Art bows not to any dwarf!"

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2014, 11:20:11 pm »

Is anyone else having their framerate SKYROCKET suddenly? (As in is goes way above the cap, such as 20000+)
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2014, 11:22:58 pm »

Is anyone else having their framerate SKYROCKET suddenly? (As in is goes way above the cap, such as 20000+)
Generally whenever the game pauses, it goes to 400 billion or whatever and then takes about 10 seconds after unpausing to settle back to an accurate measurement. Has always been like that. Is that what you mean?

Or are dwarves legitimately flying around taking up an entire year in 30 seconds?

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2014, 11:27:29 pm »

Generally whenever the game pauses, it goes to 400 billion or whatever and then takes about 10 seconds after unpausing to settle back to an accurate measurement. Has always been like that. Is that what you mean?

Or are dwarves legitimately flying around taking up an entire year in 30 seconds?
I mean the FPS counter (in both modes) goes up to 20k after a while, which makes everything jump forward in time by a considerable amount.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2014, 11:33:31 pm »

Right that's what I'm saying - at 20,000 FPS, in fort mode, a year should pass every 22 seconds. Are you actually experiencing that level of speed?

M.C.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2014, 11:47:37 pm »

I do have frame rate issues, but they feel a bit different from what others are reporting. A brand new game (just the original 7 dwarves) is chugging along happily at about 100 fps... however, every few seconds everything on the screen freezes for about 200-500 msec. This is with a medium-sized, 125 years old world.

So, not a low frame rates, just... choppy. Inconsistent. And very irritating.

Had the game been based on a different technology, I would have blamed garbage collection running rampant. Is there anything going on in the background that causes these constant stop-the-world pauses?

(Obligatory disclaimers: yes, sufficiently powerful computer; yes, enough RAM; no, malware or viruses are not involved; no, none of the other programs suffer from this kind of symptoms)

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2014, 11:52:53 pm »

I do have frame rate issues, but they feel a bit different from what others are reporting. A brand new game (just the original 7 dwarves) is chugging along happily at about 100 fps... however, every few seconds everything on the screen freezes for about 200-500 msec. This is with a medium-sized, 125 years old world.

So, not a low frame rates, just... choppy. Inconsistent. And very irritating.

Had the game been based on a different technology, I would have blamed garbage collection running rampant. Is there anything going on in the background that causes these constant stop-the-world pauses?

(Obligatory disclaimers: yes, sufficiently powerful computer; yes, enough RAM; no, malware or viruses are not involved; no, none of the other programs suffer from this kind of symptoms)

When was the last time you changed the thermal paste on your CPU?

I only ask because I was experiencing microstutters in not only DF but other games, as well. Check my box and my paste is dust. I had to apply new paste and all my problems went away.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 11:54:34 pm by Zeranamu »

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 12:08:19 am »

Right that's what I'm saying - at 20,000 FPS, in fort mode, a year should pass every 22 seconds. Are you actually experiencing that level of speed?
Yeah. But by the time I can act afterwards, my last dwarf goes stark raving mad.
Pages: 1 [2] 3