Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: 40.01 framerate issues?  (Read 5638 times)

Carch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
40.01 framerate issues?
« on: July 08, 2014, 09:55:53 am »

anyone else having framerate issues with this new release? it was fine for me in 34.25, but now it's chugging even when I only have 7 dwarves.
Carch likes steel, tin, pewter, sharks for their sharp teeth, dragons for their possessive nature and magma smelters for their warm glow.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
Re: 40.01 framerate issues?
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 10:01:11 am »

I'm fine so far.  Did you maybe use a larger embark?  Waterfall nearby?
Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Speakafreak22

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 10:13:26 am »

I'm having pretty bad FPS issues. With 34.11, I could run 300 FPS for a while with no problems. With the new release I can barely push 70. Small embark, small world, temp/weather off.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 10:20:58 am »

I'm having pretty bad FPS issues. With 34.11, I could run 300 FPS for a while with no problems. With the new release I can barely push 70. Small embark, small world, temp/weather off.

I'm not sure, I'm running the same settings I was in 34.11 and I've got the exact same framerate as I did before. There was somebody who was having problems in another thread that said their FPS was bad but it kicked back up during Winter, something about cave monster migration or...something like that. I don't remember, I started drinking when 40 was released :p. But on any size world, with just temperature off (and weather on) I've not noticed any difference.

Sylterix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 11:13:38 am »

On a large world I get about 40-70 fps with 7 dwarves. On a pocket world, I get 100 fps. I could do 100 fps on oarge worlds in 34.11

Nimtike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:01:19 pm »

I started off on a 4x4 embark next to a stream and when my fps starting hitting the fan after the first wave of migrants (almost down to 30 fps) I relocated to a 3x3 embark with no running water... the first wave of migrants hasn't even showed up yet and I'm still at about 50 fps. 

I'm thinking with the new additions of growing plants, changing leaves, larger tree networks, on top of out of site processes that anyone with older computers is going to have a hard time playing the newest build on the biggest, grandest level it can be played at.

I'm going to experiment with a 4x4 embark in a place with no vegetation (maybe ice cap or something) and see if that is indeed the problem.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 12:11:27 pm »

I'm using a Small world with 10 years of history.
Try that, it gives me above-average FPS.

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:50 pm »

If you had a slow calendar advance, that'll bleed directly over to your fort (just smeared out over a longer time for each day -- the exact same stuff is being done).  Speeding up the calendar is one of my top priorities, and it is very do-able, but until that is done, smaller worlds with shorter histories should have you zipping along.  Aside from any other FPS stuff I'm not aware of yet.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 01:05:36 pm »

Thanks for the verification Toady.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 01:25:21 pm »

If you had a slow calendar advance, that'll bleed directly over to your fort (just smeared out over a longer time for each day -- the exact same stuff is being done).  Speeding up the calendar is one of my top priorities, and it is very do-able, but until that is done, smaller worlds with shorter histories should have you zipping along.  Aside from any other FPS stuff I'm not aware of yet.

I don't want to argue with the master, but my 256x256 that took aaaaaages to get past the calendar runs just fine in my Fortress embark - I'm getting the same FPS yearly (100(50)) as I do with a 64x64 or 32x32 world after a few migraint waves. It just takes a helluva lot longer to go through the calendar on the bigger maps :) Or are you not saying what I think you're saying? Too much/not enough ale for me!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 01:27:31 pm by Zeranamu »

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 01:43:57 pm »

I've experienced the slow calendar advance in a larger world and using a young pocket world certainly helped a bit, however I still am experiencing much worse FPS than in previous versions, and I believe it is the pathfinding for me. Did the usual test of breaching hell to gain a bunch of new pathing entities on a new fortress, and FPS were destroyed, much more than they should have been. Dropped from 80-120 to 1-3. I've had better FPS on a map with 2 waterfalls and ~100 dwarves in the previous version.

Also on a different fortress a small wave of migrants that brought my fortress population from 7 (2 immobile) to 12 and reduced FPS by about 75%.

Oh, and ocean waves seem even more FPS-destructive as well.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 02:16:16 pm »

I've experienced the slow calendar advance in a larger world and using a young pocket world certainly helped a bit, however I still am experiencing much worse FPS than in previous versions, and I believe it is the pathfinding for me. Did the usual test of breaching hell to gain a bunch of new pathing entities on a new fortress, and FPS were destroyed, much more than they should have been. Dropped from 80-120 to 1-3. I've had better FPS on a map with 2 waterfalls and ~100 dwarves in the previous version.

Also on a different fortress a small wave of migrants that brought my fortress population from 7 (2 immobile) to 12 and reduced FPS by about 75%.

Oh, and ocean waves seem even more FPS-destructive as well.

That's really weird, minus the HFS I'm up to 120 dwarves right now on a 257x257 world (only 3x3 embark, though) and I'm at the same FPS I was in 34.11. Which is to say, 100 FPS/50 GPS. I know it sounds stupid, but did you remember to edit the d_init to turn things off? I only turn off temp myself, and even with weather raining or snowing it stays consistent. The only thing else I use is the Large Address Aware program to 'theoretically' allow DF to use more than 2GB of RAM (I'm not entirely sure if it works or not)

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2014, 03:38:15 pm »

Yes, I've done all my usual changes to the init files, including the FPS-relevant ones. Tried several things to narrow down the culprit, but the game frequently crashes on reload, making that difficult.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2014, 03:41:32 pm »

Yes, I've done all my usual changes to the init files, including the FPS-relevant ones. Tried several things to narrow down the culprit, but the game frequently crashes on reload, making that difficult.

That's very weird - I've saved and loaded multiple times on three different forts and I don''t have any problems... are you using a custom graphics set and overwrote the wrong raws? Or anything else?

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:19 pm »

Nope. I've also re downloaded the whole game to try that out.
Pages: [1] 2 3