Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: 40.01 framerate issues?  (Read 5632 times)

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40.01 framerate issues?
« Reply #30 on: July 09, 2014, 12:17:46 am »

well that's frikkin' bizarre. Definitely not experiencing that, or ever have before. Do you have an epic computer, or just a normal one?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

M.C.

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 09, 2014, 12:23:03 am »

I do have frame rate issues, but they feel a bit different from what others are reporting. A brand new game (just the original 7 dwarves) is chugging along happily at about 100 fps... however, every few seconds everything on the screen freezes for about 200-500 msec. This is with a medium-sized, 125 years old world.

So, not a low frame rates, just... choppy. Inconsistent. And very irritating.

Had the game been based on a different technology, I would have blamed garbage collection running rampant. Is there anything going on in the background that causes these constant stop-the-world pauses?

(Obligatory disclaimers: yes, sufficiently powerful computer; yes, enough RAM; no, malware or viruses are not involved; no, none of the other programs suffer from this kind of symptoms)

When was the last time you changed the thermal paste on your CPU?

I only ask because I was experiencing microstutters in not only DF but other games, as well. Check my box and my paste is dust. I had to apply new paste and all my problems went away.
I've never changed the thermal paste, but the computer is relatively new, so I doubt that was the issue. Besides, like I said, none of the other programs I use (games or otherwise) stutter like that.

Just checked CPU utilization for the DF process. It was unremarkable until I changed affinity to use a single core only. The process ran at 99% CPU with 100% mini-spikes every couple of seconds. Those spikes didn't seem to coincide with stutters, though. On the other hand, every once in a while CPU utilization would fall by a few percent, and those moments did coincide with stutters. It's almost as if the game would pause periodically and then continue running.

I have no idea what to make of it.

TheSaberTooth

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:BITE:16]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 09, 2014, 12:32:51 am »

well that's frikkin' bizarre. Definitely not experiencing that, or ever have before. Do you have an epic computer, or just a normal one?
If by epic, you mean half of a rusty toaster-

Then yes. ._.
When all is lost, remember the bees.
What the fuck. Is some random undorfed recruit now our new Darkwing? Hell, even Darkwing just managed to kill two clowns before he went down. It's beyond me that a frigging recruit in the Official Voidspawn Feeding Detachment managed a triple kill on Forgotten Armokhumping Beasts.

Skuggen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 09, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

You should find a Wasteland 2 player with toaster repair, then.

I'm a bit worried about how my poor old laptop will handle the new version, since I was planning to start testing in when I go on vacation next week :)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 09, 2014, 08:38:59 am »

Had the game been based on a different technology, I would have blamed garbage collection running rampant. Is there anything going on in the background that causes these constant stop-the-world pauses?

I believe there is a mini-worldgen-continuation that takes place every day in fortress mode.  This is the same as the 2 weeks of calendar you see before embarking, except it's 1/14 as long, but takes place periodically in the background.

Until Toady optimizes this mini-worldgen, we should consider using smaller worlds and shorter histories.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2014, 08:52:29 am »

So I got a fey mood and suddenly my FPS droppet to 3. What?

Dakkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2014, 09:26:34 am »

What was the items your fey mood dwarf was looking for? Did you have any on the map, but were inaccessible? I've noticed a few times that long distance pathing destroys my FPS, such as issuing my dwarves to attack from the magma sea to a creature on the surface. Just a straight staircase to the surface, so it wouldn't have been a problem before (And still only 7 dwarves anyway),  but now it seems something extra is happening.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 09, 2014, 11:58:21 am »

He won't even claim a workshop, he just stands there, then the framerate went down to 0 so I left. I'm on a shitty laptop though, so I'm not sure if it's a bug or just particularly bad optimization.

Gukag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 09, 2014, 11:21:52 pm »

Pocket world, limited Fort pop to 20. FPS seems to slow down from ~100 to ~30, then back up again seemingly at random. Both FPS statuses exist for quite some time before reverting to the other, it's not stuttering. I haven't found the reason for it so far. Could it have something to do with flyers? Everytime I've looked at the unit list while it was slowed down there were either ravens or animal man flyers. Or maybe cavern creatures being spawned en masse despite not having breached?

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 09, 2014, 11:40:34 pm »

So I got a fey mood and suddenly my FPS droppet to 3. What?

Similar situation here. He got the mood, claimed the shop, started construction.... and then everything ground to a near halt. Small world, 125 year history, high civs and sites, normal beasts and savagery. Now I'm waiting for it to chug through the whole thing, hoping it clears up after the construction is done.

It's kinda making this werelizard attack agonizingly slow.

EDIT: She finished the mood (wooden grate) to no improvement in FPS. I'm gonna try restarting the game.

EDIT 2: And that didn't work, either... No good.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 11:44:17 pm by Mentalpatient87 »
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

lianopbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 12, 2014, 04:04:44 am »

Im pretty sad nothing has been done to help the framerate in this update  :(

2 things I have noticed :

Fliers hurt FPS a lot, probably due to pathing with the new trees... one bird is ok but when a flock of ten ravens enters your map, you can definitely feel it.
so I nerfed them to the ground
I deleted the following lines from creature_birds_new.txt for ravens, kea, and falcons
Code: [Select]
[FLIER]
[APPLY_CREATURE_VARIATION:STANDARD_FLYING_GAITS:900:691:482:251:1900:2900] 35 kph

World size has a HUGE impact on FPS, was it the case before ? the wiki on maximizing framerate says its irrelevant...
 but now it is !
for a 2x2 embark, no water, TEMP and WEATHER OFF
on a LARGE REGION : 70 FPS on embark
on a SMALLER REGION: 300cap FPS on embark

then its all back to the DONT MINE, DONT PRODUCE  protips to keep your FPS  :-X
ill wait therapist now for trying a long term and efficient fortress on a small world size  8)

peskyninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Natural de-selector
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 12, 2014, 04:33:56 am »

2 things I have noticed :

Fliers hurt FPS a lot, probably due to pathing with the new trees... one bird is ok but when a flock of ten ravens enters your map, you can definitely feel it.
so I nerfed them to the ground
I
I can comfirm this at least here. Fliers really harm FPS way greater than they did in the previous versions (they didn't at all IIRC). Must be related to stuck fliers and fliers ramming themselves against trees/ground/walls.
Burn the land and boil the sea. You can't take the sky from me

Thou son of a b*tch wilt not ever make subjects of Christian sons; we have no fear of your army, by land and by sea we will battle with thee, f**k thy mother.

Mortimer1066

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 12, 2014, 10:27:09 am »

I think, from following the dev reports on the main site, that 40.02 was originally meant to focus on FPS and crashes, but there were so many reports of corrupt saves that Toady had to switch gears and push out a save fix.  I am guessing the next update will be more of an FPS fix

But the fps is playable.  Up until 2 months ago, when I upgraded my pc, my whole experience of the game was after about the first 2 or 3 seasons I was running 18-20 fps.  It was still fun just a little slow :)

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 12, 2014, 10:40:06 am »

I typically set my FPS cap to 500 to speed things up a little.  That works to start with, but as time passes (no matter what) 40.02 slows down, quite a lot.

Even with only a modest population, or no trees, or a pocket world with almost no history... FPS declines every in-game month.

After about the fourth year, FPS has dropped to 25% of what it was at the start.  On the plus side, the game does make it to the fourth year, so there's that.

Panando

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 12, 2014, 06:50:43 pm »

For me setting the graphical FPS from 50 to 25 has helped a bundle. “Unfortunately” I'm using a blazing fast laptop so it's a bit hard to tell. Also I never tried reducing GFPS in .34 so I don't know if you get proportionally more advantage is this version. But I find that having made that change I get about the same performance as the last version with default GFPS.
Punch through a multi-z aquifer in under 5 minutes, video walkthrough. I post as /u/BlakeMW on reddit.
Pages: 1 2 [3]