Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: DF .40 Out, And the effect on kickstarters  (Read 1548 times)

gomez

• Bay Watcher
  • [Hysterical and Useless]
    • View Profile
DF .40 Out, And the effect on kickstarters
« on: July 08, 2014, 07:33:22 am »

I tend to lurk in the other games part of the forum and as a result every game I have bought or "aqquired" in the last couple of years have been from seeing it there.

I was wondering what percentage of steam and kickstarter revenue comes from Bay 12 people.

wouldn't it be funny if steam execs were browsing the DF forums and going Shiiiiiiiit!!!!!!!!
"They accused us of suppressing freedom of expression. This was a lie and we could not let them publish it."
- Nelba Blandon (as Director of Censorship, Nicaragua)

Still Standing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF .40 Out, And the effect on kickstarters
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 12:28:47 pm »

I am a "bay 12 people" I guess.  I've put £670 on the Kingdom Death kickstarter and £480 on the Wargods of Olympus kickstarter.  Was going to jump on a few others, but figured I'd spent enough on kickstarter!

EDIT: And neither of them have shipped yet, despite waiting for 2 years almost for Kingdom Death, and 1 year so far for Wargods.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:38:49 pm by Still Standing »
Diggy diggy hole.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 12:34:06 pm »

I think I've put a total of $10 into Kickstarters, but that's because I don't really pay attention to them. I have bought several Steam early access games, though, which may or may not of come from Kickstarter.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:40:37 pm »

Bay12 doesn't have enough active users to have a noticable effect, really. I'd say there's about 700 active users.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:11 pm »

Bay12 doesn't have enough active users to have a noticable effect, really. I'd say there's about 700 active users.
Bay12 might not, but there's a lot of people interested in DF who don't come here.

That said, I would be surprised if Toady got more than $30k this time - that would be nearly double the last major release, and that's a high-ball. That amount of money just isn't comparable to the amount that flows through kickstarter on a regular basis.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 05:00:04 pm »

I plan to donate 3 times the maximum ammount I donated this times. I don't know how much I have donated through the years, but it is not too much. Though certainly DF is the game I have spent more money ever. But the brothers deserve.

sirdave79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 05:13:38 pm »

Wow, the forums are still working !

On a serious note I hate kickstarter have spent 0 on it and never will. Frankly its offensive the fundage that thing is generating when you even think of comparing dwarf fortress in any way that makes any kind of sense (there isnt a way).

Im gonna donate to bay 12 before I play the latest version. Never done that before neither.

Cheers Bay 12

EDIT donation done.

God I forgot about therapist. And DFHack. and tilesets. Its sacrelige I know but I dont think I can play like that
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:16:16 pm by sirdvae79 »