Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's in the slab?  (Read 4539 times)

samanato

• Bay Watcher
  • @ Gardevoirite
    • View Profile
Re: What's in the slab?
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 10:40:52 am »

Apparently it doesn't work atm. That's what one person said, anyway.

I want to know if this means there are other valid reasons to seek out Secrets than immortality.

There are at least more goals than immortality it seems.  They're drawn from the same yellow text in dwarf mode, that tells a dwarf's lifelong aspirations.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 10:52:02 am »

From the very first world I genned in the new version:
Giltaqua was a legendary zinc slab.

In a time before time, Giltaqua was created by the bull monster Vama Borespasm the Nettles of Fear.

In a time before time, The Golden-Keeper of Blockading aided the bull monster Vama Borespasm the Nettles of Fear in becoming a permanent part of the living world that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege. The ritual took place in Goldcradle using Giltaqua.

In a time before time, Giltaqua was stored in Goldcradle by the bull monster Vama Borespasm the Nettles of Fear.

So I figure this has replaced the part where demons used to "escape from the underworld."
The demon made a slab and used this to create a connection to the surface ("Goldcradle", located under the Dark Fortress of the goblin civ the demon is the master of).
"The Golden-Keeper of Blockading" is a dwarven goddess that for some reason helped the demon apparently.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:12 am »

Maybe you can use the slab to summon a demon?

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2014, 11:04:02 am »

No, I think the demon had a goal of "becoming part of the living world" and used the slab in a ritual to do so.

Actually he made the connection to the surface first, became the master of the goblin civ and then created the slab and performed the ritual:
In a time before time, Vama thrust a spire of slade up from the underworld, naming it The Ruined Fortress, and established a gateway between worlds in Pathmenace.
In a time before time, Vama became the master of The Poisons of Squeezing.
In a time before time, Vama settled in Pathmenace.
In a time before time, Vama ruled from The Ruined Fortress of The Poisons of Squeezing in Pathmenace.
In a time before time, Vama created Goldcradle.
In a time before time, Giltaqua was created by Vama.
In a time before time, The Golden-Keeper of Blockading aided Vama in becoming a permanent part of the living world that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege. The ritual took place in Goldcradle using Giltaqua.
In a time before time, Giltaqua was stored in Goldcradle by Vama.

Solon64

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2014, 11:06:58 am »

It would seem the slabs are sort of like the new "Secret Fun Weapons" in curious underground structures.  Legends mode seems to indicate that they are the means by which demons escape from the HFS and become permanent parts of the living world.

Usually seems they need the help of a deity to do this, actually.

One slab in my world was created "after pondering the ineffable subtleties of darkness." Perhaps these are just the ostensible use of the slabs, to give the demons physical form in the world?  Wonder what would happen if a dwarf used the slab, hmm?

Side note: kobolds are BADASS in my world.  A demon raised a dark fortress by thrusting a spire of slade from the underworld, naming it The Fortress of Tunnels.  And then a kobold civ snuck in several times and stole cave swallow bone rings, limonite scepters, etc.  Right from under the nose of a DEMON.

And we wonder why kobold civs keep dying out.  It ain't bonecarn, folks, they're just messing with powers they can't possibly comprehend.
PS: Seriously, you must have, like, super-getting-lost skills. You could go missing in a straight corridor and impale yourself on flat ground if I don't tell you where to go.

guitarxe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2014, 11:13:45 am »

Maybe it'll try to teach your monkeys dwarves how to use bone tools?  ;D
Feeling down? Click Here!

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 09, 2014, 11:14:36 am »

Wonder what would happen if a dwarf used the slab, hmm?
Yeah, obviously I haven't managed yet to take an adventurer to the slab so far.. ;)

Noobazzah

• Bay Watcher
  • Make lye, not war.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2014, 01:49:00 pm »

I think the wording 'permanent part of the living world that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege' means that the slab somehow activates the Circus or maybe an external siege of some description.

Basically it's for when you feel like "man, I'd really like my ass handed to me right now", I suppose.

I'm going to try and find a Clown site in Adventure more, seems unlikely but I can't really seem play Fortress mode without Phoebus (which I believe hasn't been updated yet). I'll probably die horribly in the deep dark.

XXSockXX

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 09, 2014, 02:08:33 pm »

I think the wording 'permanent part of the living world that great fortresses might be raised and tested in siege' means that the slab somehow activates the Circus or maybe an external siege of some description.
I rather guess it refers to Dark Fortresses being built.

If you're looking for a Vault, they seem to be located under the capital Dark Fortress.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 09, 2014, 04:34:45 pm »

Slabs show up in legends viewer as artifacts. they appear to be created by demons.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 09, 2014, 05:00:20 pm »

Slabs show up in legends viewer as artifacts. they appear to be created by demons.

Created by demons, used by gods, and stored in vaults.
Without fail.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Cobbler89

• Bay Watcher
  • Cobbler cancels celebrate Caesar: mending soles
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 09, 2014, 05:14:50 pm »

(A)ctivate it to turn on 3d render first person shooter mode.

Or this:

I don't know where you got that, but you need to post it next time somebody complains about the 2d graphics. More to see what their reaction is than anything else, of course.

Side note: kobolds are BADASS in my world.  A demon raised a dark fortress by thrusting a spire of slade from the underworld, naming it The Fortress of Tunnels.  And then a kobold civ snuck in several times and stole cave swallow bone rings, limonite scepters, etc.  Right from under the nose of a DEMON.

And we wonder why kobold civs keep dying out.  It ain't bonecarn, folks, they're just messing with powers they can't possibly comprehend.
Mind if I try to draw this? I was going to start drawing my adventures, but they keep being erased from history by crash bugs... and none of them seemed this badass so far anyway.
Quote from: Mr S
You've struck embedded links. Praise the data miners!
Quote from: Strong Bad
The magma is seeping under the door.

Quote from: offspring
Quote from: Cobbler89
I have an idea. Let's play a game where you win by being as quiet as possible.
I get it, it's one of those games where losing is fun!
I spend most of your dimension's time outside of your dimension. I can't guarantee followup or followthrough on any comments, ideas, or plans.

Nyxalinth

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
    • My facebook page.
« Reply #27 on: July 09, 2014, 07:07:24 pm »

Speaking of crappy fanfiction...

"No, Urist, you are the demons."

And then Urist was a demon.

Nyxalinth likes the color blue, gaming, writing, art, cats for their aloofness,  Transformers for their sentience and ability to transform, and the Constructicons for their hard work and building skills. Whenever possible, she prefers to consume bacon cheeseburgers and pinot noir. She absolutely detests stupid people.

Dyret

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 09, 2014, 10:23:34 pm »

Crappy? Repercussions of Evil is deep! :P

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 10:44:19 pm »

Badly written fanfiction.

I just hope it's not one of mine. Geesh, that was some crappy writing I did.

Worse: Bad Twilight fanfiction of *that kind*. Reading this causes the dwarf’s brain to collapse into a reality-destroying rift, which then expands and consumes the rest of the world while sparkling.

I do hope the swords still show up. I know there were bugs were you could not get dwarves to equip the particular sword (before the release, I’d considered a few ways around it), but I’d really like to have that feature retained. I’ll see whether I can make a new fortress and dig down that deep really quickly.......
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.
Pages: 1 [2] 3