Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tree Weaponization  (Read 1441 times)

Chessrook44

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Tree Weaponization
« on: July 08, 2014, 06:01:47 am »

So I won't be playing the new version quite yet (Give time for the tilesets to come out and the Brewing Bug to get fixed), but in the meantime, I've already seen people discussing and figuring out how to weaponize the new giant trees.

I'm just curious if anyone has figured it out yet.  And more importantly, if they've done so on the Elves in a fit of Dwarven Irony.

Let's hear some !SCIENCE!, people!

KiBoy

• Bay Watcher
  • You have been struck down! It was inevitable.
    • View Profile
Re: Tree Weaponization
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 06:09:28 am »

Well, as I played the new release for a bit, trees give HUGE amounts of logs. In a couple trees ( 4-5 ) I had roughtly 150-200 logs! And I've heard that they can hurt the woodcutters while falling... So the only thing I can think of is making a depot near a tree and cutting it down. With some luck you'll see messages of elves being nailed by logs. :D
"Ha-ha-halt in the name of the Obeisant Vegetation!  Okay, Princess, you can speak to the Necromancer now."
"A-anou, Necromancer-san, could...  C-Could I have your autograph?"
If you imagine an 8-bit Hinata with elf ears, it gets even more ridiculous ^_^

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 06:36:54 am »

classic irony.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 06:46:18 am »

Are the tunks treated as walls?

Maybe one can make a road that uses trees to fill in the gaps, have bridges between trees. Siege comes, gets trapped, urist cuts down a tree, goblins fly into a pit.

Oh, who am i kidding, its not urist but a magma system that burns them down as well, so its raining molten goblinite instead.

TheChosen

• Bay Watcher
  • Human Peasant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 07:13:24 am »

Are the tunks treated as walls?

Ah, classic Age of Empires tactic
TheChosen cancels Mega-project: Too sane

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »

(posted this idea in the first impressions thread as well, but it's going to get lost there anyway)

At the moment, flying creatures have a problem with trees, because they tend to fly right into them and splatter themselves.

Trees weaponised... as barrage balloons!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Mentalpatient87

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:27 pm »

Someone try using falling logs to effect. First, dig a pit all around the tree, down a few z-levels. Then, funnel the enemy under the tree at the bottom of the new pit. Cut down the tree as they go by and whammo! Log rain trap.
Whoever appeals to the law against his fellow dwarf is either a fool or a coward. Whoever can not take care of themself without that law is both. For a wounded dwarf shall say to his assailant, "If I live, I will kill you. If I die, you are forgiven." Such is the rule of honor.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 02:11:29 pm »

Someone try using falling logs to effect. First, dig a pit all around the tree, down a few z-levels. Then, funnel the enemy under the tree at the bottom of the new pit. Cut down the tree as they go by and whammo! Log rain trap.

Haven't tried it, but I know 'digging' the roots (which are directly under the [ ]) will cause all of the roots and the tree to disappear as if it never existed. Not sure if channeling a tile above where the roots are will affect it.. it may, since it turns the tile below into a ramp. So you must dig arouuuund the roots, to make a big, big hole. And then build a bridge or a floor to the tree to cut it down.