Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: Need a new graphics card :I  (Read 5007 times)

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new graphics card :I
« Reply #15 on: July 09, 2014, 01:28:39 pm »

Don't nvidia cards usually run better than AMD ones for games, if only because the programmers optimized on them?

Also CUDA.
>__> please don't use CUDA, its another level of hell for C++ slapped with proprietary code for Nvidia, stick with OpenCL. As for gaming i still don't see the large difference between brands, i still go off of prices and the R9 270x sits right between the gimp 750TI and the pricey 760. All it really matters is how much money are you willing to cough up for performance.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #16 on: July 09, 2014, 04:48:43 pm »

CUDA looks a lot easier to use than OpenCL.

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2014, 05:49:19 pm »

CUDA looks a lot easier to use than OpenCL.
Boo for closed source :P

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2014, 04:31:57 am »

With your CPU (an i7 2600, I surmise? That has a 95w TDP), you probably do not need a power supply upgrade to hand an R9 270x. Even if we assume your current one has aged and is capable of handling less than advertised, the CPU/PSU are only asking for 250 watts on the 12v rail.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: July 10, 2014, 04:45:06 am »

It's an i7-3770.

What's the difference between the X and the non-X version of the R9 270?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2014, 08:54:50 am »

Just clock speed, and not by much.

With the PSU, a 500W will be plenty already if it's decent (i.e. good brand and/or official 80+ efficiency rating). Even a powerful gaming pc can run at ~300W, you only really need higher for SLi/crossfire/overclocking/multi-cpu/etc.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #21 on: July 10, 2014, 09:04:22 am »

Ok, I guess I'll order an AMD R9 270x, and if my PC shuts off with it plugged, I'll get a new PSU :P

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 10, 2014, 09:47:42 am »

The 270x is the newest generation card while the 270 is a rehash.

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 10, 2014, 05:58:36 pm »

my CPU is pretty much top-notch (i7 3.4 GHz)

is the same CPU I had put in my computer 3 years ago
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 10, 2014, 06:13:59 pm »

Now now, no need to brag.

Anyway, i7 3770 = 77w TDP. Yeah, you're totally fine in the power department. Go right ahead and pop in an r9 270x!
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ArmokGoB

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 10, 2014, 06:17:45 pm »

Sorry if it came across that way. What I'm trying to convey is that he might want to get a newer CPU, since it's not "top-notch."
Cyclopes, prepare to meet your demise at the metaphorical hands of my cushion ruby cabochons.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:48 pm »

Sorry if it came across that way. What I'm trying to convey is that he might want to get a newer CPU, since it's not "top-notch."
I'm still running an i5 2500k at 4.5Ghz, Intel performance has pretty much stagnated so you aren't really getting that bump with the new architectures (unless you are using the integrated graphics but god why would you).

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #27 on: July 10, 2014, 07:16:17 pm »

Sorry if it came across that way. What I'm trying to convey is that she might want to get a newer CPU, since it's not "top-notch."
Sorry for not having a i7 3770k to overclock to 4 GHz :I

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 10, 2014, 07:54:21 pm »

Tip for buying a PSU: Read the online reviews on places like Newegg.

I've seen things along the lines of "The inside of my case lit up like a christmas tree, frying the mobo and cpu. Would not recommend." :P

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #29 on: July 10, 2014, 08:15:07 pm »

What manufacturer should I buy the graphics card from, though? O.o

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5