Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Need a new graphics card :I  (Read 4997 times)

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
Need a new graphics card :I
« on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:11 am »

But I don't have any idea how you choose a new graphics card. >_> Something about your PCU not supporting the power needed? My current one is 4 or 5 years old and it cannot run Planetside 2 on medium settings, which is kinda important because one of the in-game classes aren't very visible with "Graphics Quality" on Low. I'm reasonably sure it's a GPU limit, because my CPU is pretty much top-notch (i7 3.4 GHz) and I have heaps of ram :(

Any help?

bay12 lower boards IRC:irc.darkmyst.org @ #bay12lb
"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
Re: Need a new graphics card :I
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2014, 03:54:06 am »

disclaimer: generic advice inbound

What's your current system specs, and what's your budget for a new card?
Also, have you consulted logicalincrements.com yet?
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2014, 04:06:06 am »

What kind of specs are you asking about?

"Oh, they never lie. They dissemble, evade, prevaricate, confoud, confuse, distract, obscure, subtly misrepresent and willfully misunderstand with what often appears to be a positively gleeful relish ... but they never lie" -- Look To Windward

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 04:12:30 am »

In your case, the following:
    PSU wattage
    RAM
    motherboard model
    current graphics card spec

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:17:23 am »

Let's see...

500 watts
16 GB
Not sure how you find the motherboard model.
AMD Radeon 6700 series.

Incidentally there is a huge amount of dust inside. Dunno how to clean it o.o

edit: seems to be GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H. I accidebtally unplugged a lot of tiny cables while trying to replug a fan, so I'm going to buy a can of air and clean it out since I unplugged my computer anyways.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:22:00 am by Skyrunner »

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 05:19:47 am »

If you're not going to upgrade the PSU, you could get an nVidia GTX 750Ti, which seems to have lower power consumption than its AMD counterpart.

If you are planning to upgrade the PSU though, you could do many, many other things..

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 05:25:25 am »

Aren't PSUs very expensive?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 06:02:20 am »

Relative to a good graphics card or strong CPU? Not at all.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 10:40:59 am »

They're expensive in the way that you must get a well-rated one (like mentioned in the Generic Computer Advice Thread), otherwise you'll probably need to get one sooner than you expected.
Relative to a good graphics card or strong CPU? Not at all.
This too.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

gigaraptor487

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Lunatic now civilised
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 06:34:15 pm »

Dependant on connectors you have and space in the case the R9 270 is good. I play Planetside 2 on maximum at 1080p with a lesser cpu than that (although for some reason it feels like the game is lying to me).
Hehe, you thought there would be an interesting sig here

I now run a program which brings old multiplayer games back to life : click

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 10:08:19 pm »

Wow same motherboard i have xD

With that said i can see your mobo and cpu at most burning 150w which leaves alot of head room. I would recommend you the AMD R7 265 since its the same price as the 750TI but better performance. If you do upgrade your PSU to say 600 you can get a R9 270x which is 20 bucks and 30w more but double the performance over the 265 and the measly 750TI.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 11:55:25 pm »

Cool--I might upgrade to a 700W PSU and get dat R9, even though it's pretty costly all together.

Incidentally, is it possible to upgrade only the PSU, or is getting a new case, too, similar in cost/effort?

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 12:05:07 am »

The PSU is mostly just "unplug everything, plug everything into the new one." It's pretty simple.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2014, 12:06:17 am »

Cool--I might upgrade to a 700W PSU and get dat R9, even though it's pretty costly all together.

Incidentally, is it possible to upgrade only the PSU, or is getting a new case, too, similar in cost/effort?
Only if you don't have enough room for cables, for some reason higher wattage equals more cables unless you get a modular psu (which costs extremely more for no reason).
Also, check to make sure you got enough length clearance for the card, cards are getting bigger nowadays so you might need a new case or move some hard drives around.

Skyrunner

• Bay Watcher
  • ?!?!
    • View Profile
    • Portfolio
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2014, 01:50:15 am »

Don't nvidia cards usually run better than AMD ones for games, if only because the programmers optimized on them?

Also CUDA.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5