Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New Discipline skill?  (Read 1726 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
New Discipline skill?
« on: July 07, 2014, 10:46:40 pm »

Does anyone know what the Discipline skill is supposed to do? Does it make military dwarves better at following orders?
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New Discipline skill?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:47:30 pm »

In theory, yes. In reality, maybe.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:58:30 pm »

The devlogs said emotions will factor into combat decisions, so a soldier could get scared and run away from a fight, for example. Presumably the discipline skill counters this tendency.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 12:37:56 am »

The devlogs said emotions will factor into combat decisions, so a soldier could get scared and run away from a fight, for example. Presumably the discipline skill counters this tendency.

That's my theory exactly. I'm diving right into the militia since it's my bread and butter for dealing with anything nasty that doesn't exude gases or webs.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 03:08:49 am »

As far as i could tell, while testing things in the arena (which now lets you set temperature from absolute zero to dragonfire's temp, one of the rare times you'll see "your caught in a burst of boiling iron!") people did indeed seem to stop running away, even from very fearsome enemies. Unfortunately, regardless of your power, it seems that once somebody starts to really get fucked up, everyone fucks off.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 09:04:33 am »

being horrified and witnessing death trains discipline, so theoretically, you can discipline your dwarves by constantly dropping tick men onto meeting halls.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 09:14:44 am »

being horrified and witnessing death trains discipline, so theoretically, you can discipline your dwarves by constantly dropping tick men onto meeting halls.

So discipline is essentially a skillified version of "doesn't care about anything anymore"?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.