Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Postautumn, DF2014 Sucession Fort  (Read 3611 times)

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Postautumn, DF2014 Sucession Fort
« on: July 07, 2014, 09:38:22 pm »

So it's that time of the decade again. If you hadn't noticed it yet, DF2014 has been recently released, and go have your eyes checked out because you might have some problems with your eyesight. You can't just not notice all this hype.

Anyway, with the new version out, let's use it to make a succession fort.
I've located a nice spot next to the stream Snarledtummies in The Hale Imperious Forest on The Submerged Continent in The Dimension of Enchantments, although those names are probably not important.

The fortress shall be named Postautumn, as befitting the dwarves of The Oars of Winter.

Spoiler: Location specs (click to show/hide)

The Good
The location is a wilderness taiga, which means plenty of wood and comparatively harmless wildlife. Sounds kind of disappointing, but it's still less boring than good surroundings. There's also plenty of metal, and the stream might serve as a source of fish if it isn't frozen.

The Bad
It's fucking cold, and there's a thick layer of soil on top of the rock, which means more digging.

The Worst
There's goblins in the 'hood, aquifers in the basement, and probably dysentery in the water too.

Since this is still the earliest version of the new release, expect there to be bugs and shit. But that's okay, those can be fun too.

The Chronicles of Postautumn:

Year 1: Darvi (40.01): [1] [2] [3] [4]
Year 2: MrTimms
Year 3: richeygator
Year 4: CaptainArchmage
Year 5: 10terrapin01
Year 6: Not yet claimed

If nobody claims the first year by the time I wake up tomorrow, I'll take that.

PS:
Alright, I’m making this post for a new succession game, possibly the first one of 0.40.01.
Fuck my browser.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 02:08:15 pm by Darvi »

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
  • Wolf Acolyte of the Pack
    • View Profile
Re: Postautumn, DF2014 Sucession Fort
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:44 pm »

May I request a dorfing as a Cmd. Talonis Wolf, Militaristic Bigot?
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:
The first time you see this, copy it i

MrTimms

• Bay Watcher
  • It is terrifying.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 11:19:19 pm »

Sign me up for year 3.
The vast majority of the bandits were apparently hiding in the trees because after my first few moves the majority of them fell out of their trees breaking limbs and horribly wounding themselves.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2014, 03:46:54 pm »

Welp, it was a busy day for me, but I managed to get some stuff done.

Year 550, Spring

The embark screen lied.

Not a single tree on the entire fucking map. That renders two of the dwarves largely useless. Oh well.

I found an alcove on the southern side of the hill we started on, so I told our mminers to start the excavation there. Additionally, I had them dig out a large hole from the top, just in case they'd hit the aquifer. I also let them dig out rooms for a farm plot and a food stockpile.

It didn't take them all that long to hit the blasted water. And worst of all, three goddamn layers of it. Slowly, but surely, the miners managed to get through by abusing the local weather, while I somehow started using the dug-out ice to construct walls to keep the water back, should summer prove too hot for the ice to hold. Somewhen, one of the miners went missing. I'm assuming he got stuck in the ice.

During Felsite, the snow started melting.

There's tons of blueberries around, so we won't starve for a while, but the lack of choppies is still distressing. Oh well, Talonis Wolf can keep himself busy with, I dunno, some random critters that get in his way, or something. Good call giving the woodcutter some fighting skills, really.

Eventually, the remaining miner stuck some Chert, so I can start building some actual walls and shit during the summer.

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
  • amature programer with a god-complex.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2014, 04:16:26 pm »

ill take a turn if one is still available-preferably around year 4
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:39:16 pm by richeygator »
after a long absence,
the god-complexed noob is back

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2014, 06:43:12 pm »

I’ll take turn 5 if it is still available.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2014, 08:53:31 pm »

I'm doing stuff! O: It's a miracle!

And you got no trees in spite of what the embark screen said!? Is it counting the cavern trees somehow? There might be a tunnel below or something.

Unlikely, but that's my best guess.
TalonisWolf has claimed the title of Sig-forger the Burning Champion of Lime Green!
GENERATION 32:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

Well, you're not exactly doing anything except maybe haul around some stuff. You've only been named the militia commander.

I like to imagine that you went around blowing up military instalations. Well, potential military instalations... all right, trees.

Poopicus

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2014, 09:06:51 pm »

Can you dorf me? Poopicus please, I don't have any preferences.

richeygator

• Bay Watcher
  • amature programer with a god-complex.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »

i have a few questions regarding the rules ???
1.how long do you have to play your year after the last person posts the save
2.should you post in character(is it required,not allowed,or optional)
3.are you allowed to use a tile-set as long as it doesn't mess up the save
after a long absence,
the god-complexed noob is back

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2014, 09:21:21 pm »

1. One year, if you can make it that long.
2. Not required.
3. I've never used a tileset that wasn't required for a mod so I don't know if you can remove them from your save after the fact. If so, go ahead.

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2014, 09:25:12 pm »

Removing & Re-Installing is possible, although a extreme pain to do by hand. You won't be able to easily do it until LNP is updated, and even then the save file would need to be moved into the LNP data folder in this instance.
GENERATION 32:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2014, 03:49:51 pm »

Year 550, Summer

First thing I did was get the miner the fuck out of the mines, and finish off that first wall. Good thing too, because a week or so later:

With the hole being a lethal waterslide, and no construction materials anywhere, the dwarves have nothing left to do but loaf around in the mud, drink booze, and fishing. Plenty of salmon around for that. And apparently, dwarves love themselves some camping trips because we got five migrants shortly afterwards.

Not much happened afterwards, except that some people fell into the stream and clung to the cliffs. The miner managed to save two of them, but the clerk stayed to sleep with the fish. At that point, the dead/missing screen listed four creatures: the dorfs, a raven and... a leech demon? Who would miss that bugger?

Shortly before the end of the season, everything froze over again. I doubt I can have a depot set up before the caravan arives, but I don't have anything to trade yet so I don't give a damn.

Current population:

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2014, 01:15:11 pm »

Year 550, Autumn

The outpost liaison arrived pretty damn early. When asked what I'd need, I answered "Guns. Lots of guns". Except for logs instead of guns. I also asked for pickaxes because this shit takes ages with only one miner.

On that note, I managed to retrieve the dead miner's corpse, and assigned his pick to the stonecrafter who arrived during summer. Together, the miners started digging an even bigger hole to compensate for the fact that the other one is basically 5 z-levels of wet.

A bunch of migrants arrived to marvel at our magnificient inverted pyramids of ice and water.  Other than that, nothing of note ha-

Dammit, I needed that guy as a miner!

Current progress:

TalonisWolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2014, 03:58:47 pm »

Are the blue X's up/down stair being flooded or Blueberries?
GENERATION 32:
Pages: [1] 2 3