Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 109465 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #675 on: July 14, 2014, 11:53:37 pm »

I went to go kill a vampire but I couldn't find it in the house everyone said it was in. It seems like finding monsters and stuff to fight will be more complicated in this version, but I'll probably get used to it. Also, I like the new dialogue system.

I've found that many times, they aren't where they say.. I usually try using tracks to hunt them down, although for a vampire in a town that likely won't work. For wild ones like yetis, or such, it would.
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #676 on: July 15, 2014, 09:26:15 am »

It's rather surreal, watching two of my companions have a pleasant chat whilst the four of us are all busily kicking the shit out of this one poor kobold that was unfortunate enough to cross our path.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Actually, looking at things more closely, it's only the spearman of the group who is actually beating on the kobold. The other two are just standing around, having a chat as they watch the ultraviolence. The spearman serves the same lord I do, and came from the fort I started in, so that might have something to do with it.

Also: I'm not sure quite how Isman became a lord... I might have accidentally offered him the position a leader of some town I conquered at some point, I forget. :P Maybe I'll give my other two useless loyal followers lordships, as well, since my own Lord wasn't interested in them.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #677 on: July 15, 2014, 10:54:06 am »

I have discovered a STAGGERINGLY useful method for making people want to stop fighting with you without murderizing them accidentally. Namely, giving them a nice little punch in the teeth. Literally, punching their teeth out. They get much more cooperative, and won't faint.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: July 15, 2014, 11:28:26 am »

I'm beginning to like some aspects of the current combat weirdness.  I got a mission to kill a cyclops, so I recruited a fellow hearthsman and set out for the beast's lair.

When we got there we were surprised to find three cyclopes, a family.  Their reactions made more sense in that respect.  We harried them from their lair like wolves and killed all three.  The mother took us almost two days to track down.  Remaking the world in man's image, one slit throat at a time.

Very melancholy.  I wonder what we'll murder next.
Shoes...

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: July 15, 2014, 12:00:49 pm »

I'm beginning to like some aspects of the current combat weirdness.  I got a mission to kill a cyclops, so I recruited a fellow hearthsman and set out for the beast's lair.

When we got there we were surprised to find three cyclopes, a family.  Their reactions made more sense in that respect.  We harried them from their lair like wolves and killed all three.  The mother took us almost two days to track down.  Remaking the world in man's image, one slit throat at a time.

Oh yeah, the game sometimes makes you feel like a right bastard. I've been clearing Dark Pits once, and after gleefully murderizing everything, I found a goblin child in one of the burrow things. Proceeded to kill it, of course, because Adventurer Ethics 101.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:53 pm »

Oh yeah, the game sometimes makes you feel like a right bastard. I've been clearing Dark Pits once, and after gleefully murderizing everything, I found a goblin child in one of the burrow things. Proceeded to kill it, of course, because Adventurer Ethics 101.

Usually I just maim goblin children until they pass out. I'm not THAT cruel. And the fact that everyone you butcher cries the whole time doesn't make you feel any better. Even the adventurer you play doesn't like what you make them do, they cry the whole time as well.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: July 15, 2014, 12:13:19 pm »

That reminds me - another nice non-lethal trick - scratching an enemy's head. You can still murder somebody by accident, but it's easier to just non-lethally knock them out if you're lucky.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #682 on: July 15, 2014, 01:04:06 pm »

I wish there was a way to order your companions to ignore downed opponents.  Then you could just stab people in the legs or kick them in the face if you didn't want to kill them.  Its also good advice more often than it isn't.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: July 15, 2014, 02:14:42 pm »

I wish there was a way to order your companions to ignore downed opponents.  Then you could just stab people in the legs or kick them in the face if you didn't want to kill them.  Its also good advice more often than it isn't.

I actually wish there was a 'non-lethal' attack modifier, that would limit the maximum damage you can deal to a non-lethal amount. So for example, you would only even cut the skin, instead of decapping the person outright for the neck, or bruising the muscles instead of vital organs for the chest.

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #684 on: July 15, 2014, 02:20:52 pm »

I had great fun in holding a unconsious goblin up while my buddy bashed its head to pieces with crossbow. Sweet revenge for killing the dwarf that was our guide.

Finding out of dorf forts takes a bit of time for me usually, apparently the exit uses ramps and not stairs so that helps identify it.
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #685 on: July 15, 2014, 02:26:14 pm »

After they killed the cyclopes they wanted bigger prey.  Nothing worth their time dwelt in cultivated lands so they found a dwarven guide and set out for the trackless west.  They traveled for weeks, hunting for our food.  They met an elf in uncharted forests and killed her. 

In a hot steppe they found one of the last remaining rocs.  Kiros (me!) walked up to it with the blithe arrogance that is the human's birthright and as it craned down to regard him he drove his sword into its throat.  When he returned to his party the dwarf was weeping.

They continued forward and reached the northwest corner of the world, uncharted by any race.  Three shrines to nature stood, and they girded themselves to slay them.  That night, fucking giant dingos bit Kiros in the head and fucking killed him god fucking dammit fuck this bullshit game

That's my biggest problem with the game, though it's hardly something solvable without savescumming (which kills the game just as dead).  You get this vast world and unlimited freedom to write your own stories, but sometimes you get hit in the femur with a crossbow bolt before you even find the demon you set out to kill and your story ends with a pack of goblins kicking your unconscious body until you die.
Shoes...

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #686 on: July 15, 2014, 02:46:01 pm »

After they killed the cyclopes they wanted bigger prey.  Nothing worth their time dwelt in cultivated lands so they found a dwarven guide and set out for the trackless west.  They traveled for weeks, hunting for our food.  They met an elf in uncharted forests and killed her. 

In a hot steppe they found one of the last remaining rocs.  Kiros (me!) walked up to it with the blithe arrogance that is the human's birthright and as it craned down to regard him he drove his sword into its throat.  When he returned to his party the dwarf was weeping.

They continued forward and reached the northwest corner of the world, uncharted by any race.  Three shrines to nature stood, and they girded themselves to slay them.  That night, fucking giant dingos bit Kiros in the head and fucking killed him god fucking dammit fuck this bullshit game

That's my biggest problem with the game, though it's hardly something solvable without savescumming (which kills the game just as dead).  You get this vast world and unlimited freedom to write your own stories, but sometimes you get hit in the femur with a crossbow bolt before you even find the demon you set out to kill and your story ends with a pack of goblins kicking your unconscious body until you die.

That's my favorite part of the game, every single fight might be the one that ends your career or your life.  There's a certain desperation to DF combat that few games can simulate.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: July 15, 2014, 03:01:50 pm »

I actually wish there was a 'non-lethal' attack modifier, that would limit the maximum damage you can deal to a non-lethal amount. So for example, you would only even cut the skin, instead of decapping the person outright for the neck, or bruising the muscles instead of vital organs for the chest.
You could do a quick or a wild attack. They're pretty unlikely to kill.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

nomoetoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Victorian Walrus
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: July 15, 2014, 03:10:36 pm »

I find it amusing how animals can go extinct. so now you'd have to be a bit more careful with you hunt or it may never be seen again. :P (though its ok with me if giant desert scorpions go extinct)
The most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched. At least that's what the restraining order says.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #689 on: July 15, 2014, 03:47:00 pm »

You could do a quick or a wild attack. They're pretty unlikely to kill.
You think a WILD ATTACK is unlikely to kill? You realize that's basically a heavy attack right? But not slow as fuck.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46] 47 48 ... 52