Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 109275 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #180 on: July 08, 2014, 11:00:40 am »

I had the chance to save myself from foolishness by grabbing onto a branch, which I chose not to.

Dis gon be gud.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 08, 2014, 11:50:34 am »

Hillocks don't seem to slow bogeymen too much. I slept in one and the bogeymen came in and began killing the dwarves, before killing me.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 08, 2014, 12:02:40 pm »

To those not in the know drop your shield and learn to dodge if you try to block the game will crash.

I recently spotted a suturer climbing the tavern so I immediately climbed up after him and threw him off. He climbed back up and we engaged in an epic duel.

Actually came to this thread to ask if blocking was the cause the crash
 So thanks for the mention!

Anyway, aside from that I'll join in everyone else saying how brilliant Adventure mode is now.

danmanthedog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:37 pm »

Spawned as an elf on top of a tree with no way down so I picked the best way down by jumping off. I fell for 7zs and broke most of my body and went in to a coma, sleep of the
damage and decided to slap a dwarf to death with my sword. Then I died by being kicked off the mountin by a dwarf baby.

Redzephyr01

• Bay Watcher
  • Ferrum Cor
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:33 pm »

I punched a guy in the face and his head exploded 10/10

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:05 pm »

The new sneak system and the ability to knock people unconscious are pretty awesome. So is climbing and jumping.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

h.scorpio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 08, 2014, 01:01:24 pm »

After a few crashes upon conversation, I finally managed to run into the mayor of my dwarven starting stronghold.
It appears to be a goblin. And the dwarves are fukken terrified of him.

Edit: then it crashed again when I asked the goblin mayor about trade routes =P
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 02:16:07 pm by h.scorpio »

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 08, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »

So... I started as an elf in a tree. Jumped out of the tree and broke my neck. Climbed back up the tree and shouted at a random peasant. He said some monster was attacking, and that was terrible. I told him it was great. Then I declared myself lord of this tree, and jumped out of it and died.

It was definitely an adventure, from start to finish.
The truest essence of Dwarf Fortress, adventure!!!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 06:36:35 pm by ClorrProdigal »

Echostatic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 08, 2014, 01:06:51 pm »

I was engaged in no quarters combat with a goblin, and winning. He tried climbing a tree. He got 1 z level up and I grabbed his foot, yanking him out of the tree with a take down.

I love these mechanics!

The W axis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 08, 2014, 01:11:26 pm »

Trees catch fire really slowly. I set fire around one and climbed it, and by nightfall when I crashed the highest flames were only 5z up.
I killed several of them and it hasn't made a difference, I will try killing more to see if that fixes the problem

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 08, 2014, 01:13:45 pm »

The new sneak system and the ability to knock people unconscious are pretty awesome. So is climbing and jumping.
Is there some new way to knock people unconscious?

The Enigmatic L

• Bay Watcher
  • The Truth is always watching
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 08, 2014, 01:18:55 pm »

Not sure if this was mentioned because I don't feel like putting up with a bunch of broken page loads, but the first thing I realized in this new update was that you can spit on people and I think it even improves your throwing skill. I only wish you could start fights with it :<

I spat on an Elf and he didn't even care. I mean, I understand they probably think being spit on is a good omen as opposed to being instantly slaughtered, but... I don't know. Maybe I should test spitting on the higher races and see if they have normal reactions.

The plus side to this so far is that people can dodge your spit, so you can probably train your companion's dodging with spit as well as maybe even improving endurance for successful hits. Since we can't use shields, this seems very viable for Adventure mode. Thoughts?
Does wisdom perhaps appear upon the Earth as a raven inspired by the scent of carrion?

chaosgear

• Bay Watcher
  • Pants-on-head retarded
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 08, 2014, 01:20:24 pm »

Finally reached Thunderbreaked, and I must have misunderstood the rumors. Thunderbreaked was an elven retreat, being besieged by humans. My arrival is greeted by a single elf corpse at the bottom of a tree, and it's relatively fresh. I climb the tree, hoping to find someone alive who can tell me what happened here. I reach the top, take a deep breath, and call out for someone.

Crash to desktop.

10/10

Unfortunately, loading my character puts me at where I started this morning, on the other side of the continent. I'll just try fortress mode for now.
I always seem to end up with a magnificent burial complex and nowhere near enough bodies to fill it, or far too many bodies and nowhere to put any of them.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 08, 2014, 01:28:38 pm »

Finally reached Thunderbreaked, and I must have misunderstood the rumors. Thunderbreaked was an elven retreat, being besieged by humans. My arrival is greeted by a single elf corpse at the bottom of a tree, and it's relatively fresh. I climb the tree, hoping to find someone alive who can tell me what happened here. I reach the top, take a deep breath, and call out for someone.

Crash to desktop.

10/10

Unfortunately, loading my character puts me at where I started this morning, on the other side of the continent. I'll just try fortress mode for now.

There are two big crashes in adventure mode, the first is from trying to talk to your deity and the second is from trying to block. If you play as an outsider you don't have a god to worry about.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 08, 2014, 01:34:01 pm »

no comment
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52