Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 109237 times)

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #585 on: July 11, 2014, 04:04:54 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I dunno why they're perfectly okay with a perverse master of life and death chillin' with them. Maybe they're all too drunk to notice.

It's the fucking drinking mound.

A night troll could come in looking for a mate and they'd all go "yeah... why not!" and starting fighting over the damn crone.
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Frollo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: July 11, 2014, 05:12:35 pm »

You start as a Hearthperson by default anyway. And uh...it gives an extra useless conversation option with your lord/lady?
So I don't quite know if this is a new thing, because I haven't played much adventure mode in old updates, but I got something out of the hearthperson conversation option.

I went up to my lord, took that conversation option, and he gave me an order to go 'trouble' a nation to the north. So now on my 'agreements' screen I have "Order:Trouble <Group>". Not 100% what he means, so I went to the location he named and killed some elves there before realizing the elves I was killing didn't belong to the group he named. As far as I can tell that group has been defeated entirely. So not quite sure what to do about that now.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: July 11, 2014, 05:20:12 pm »

I have found a few remnant NPCs hanging out deep inside city fortresses and what not. They'd be hard to find even if you were looking for them. The game seems pretty good about not sending you after dead people though.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: July 11, 2014, 06:22:39 pm »

Started a pocket world with no history and a minimum of civs for the fastest world creation I could get. I put beasts and sites at max, but I still ended up with very few megabeasts. And no humans at all.

So I said "Heck with it!", went into adventure mode instead of dwarf mode, took my demigod axedwarf, and went on a quest to kill everything.

I started out in a labyrinthine mountain hall, where for quite a while the only other person I encountered was a small child, who greeted me and immediately told me to go kill a night creature as soon as I returned his greeting.

I then wandered around, found beds and bedrooms, and eventually found a bunch of dwarves conversing. I yelled out to everyone, and that seems to have permanently disabled my character from speaking to single entities (except his deity) after that. He just yells. All the time. I got a speardwarf to join me, though.

Eventually, I found my way out of the mountain hall via a long spiralling passage upwards, only to discover a trade depot with a bajillion dwarves in it, all of whom had several pages of dialogue for me to slog through every step I took. I fled, left the mountain hall, and went to the nearby hill dwarf town. It was fairly empty, seeing as how there were something like 95 notable creatures in the world, but I found a meeting hillock, talked to the sheriff, and left to go do something violent.

I then decided my first kill should be the world's only dragon. Other than a wolverine fleeing at my approach(!) the trek was uneventful. I hunted that sucker down, walked up behind it while it completely ignored me, and hacked at its head and neck with my battle axe for five minutes, until the speardwarf overcame his terror, came up, and stole my kill with a single blow to the unconscious beast.

Grumbling, I then decided to take out one of the world's only two titans. Running up into the mountains, I wandered for quite a while, until I was distracted by a conversation. Thinking it was Rakust the kill-stealing speardwarf imparting more tales of things we could go kill (as he was wont to do without any prompting on my part) I checked my recent events, and discovered it was a wolverine man, telling one of his two girlfriends all about how he assaulted me just seconds ago. I had absolutely no recent even text suggesting such, so I decided to teach the punk kid a lesson about idle boasting and killed his girlfriend in front of him. She was in shock, screaming that this couldn't be happening. I felt guilty about it, but figured I should probably put her out of her misery. Then I killed him, which went much more easily because he was actually hostile, apparently unlike the dragon. (Up until that point, I was guessing the "Really attack this creature?" thing was a bug, because how could dragons be nonhostile?) That made me feel guiltier about killing the innocent wolverine woman, as I realized only one of the band was actually hostile. Then I chased after the other wolverine woman, ("No witnesses!") but she ran off into the distance faster than I could keep up, and I wasn't much of a marksman. As I left the area, I heard her voice echoing from the distance talking to someone about how she just assaulted me, but I couldn't find the source and left frustrated.

The titan-slaying quest continued, with me assaulting a group of peaceful kea in retaliation for all the theft their kind committed in dwarven history. I decided to go into sneak mode to keep from alerting further wildlife, allowing me to kill more keas without them escaping. As I butchered the corpses, I discovered that I had the option to pick a nearby flower, so I did.

Eventually I reached the titan's shrine, but it was heavily forested, and trees had removed many of the ramps I'd come to expect from mountaineering in previous versions. This made the place surprisingly mazelike. The titan was tricky to find, as the shrine was sloped, and trees were everywhere. But eventually it found me when I was looking for the source of the strange colors I was observing. It turned out to be the titan's line of sight indicator I had been investigating! A savage battle ensued, with me and the titanic hairy insect clashing on the steep hillside, any dodge potentially fatal. Luckily, I eventually fractured its legs enough to slow it down, and hacked off its head after a few neck strikes failed to work.

Then the two of us traveled a ways farther in search of a night creature lair. The closest lair was a ways southwest, so I ran down the mountain, assaulting random wildlife for axe practice as I went. I killed a moose, then a few ravens, then some turkeys I found scratching for grubs in the branches of a sand pear tree. Somewhere during this time, I lost my speardwarf companion. Now I'm a bit worried about bogeymen...

Finally I found the lair. Inside was not a night creature like I had supposed, but a named dingo. I snuck up on it and chopped off its neck. Not its head, mind you, just the neck. The head was still attached to its body... somehow.

Leaving the den, I discovered to my delight that I had left the mountains for the first time since I left the hill dwarf settlement, and could fast travel! There's a nearby elf settlement! I figured I'd go over there and see if I could recruit an elf to repel bogeymen. I take one step on the map screen and...

Ambush! A black bear decided to attack me. That was all right, because I decided to attack it as well. So I charged towards it, intent on removing its head. The bear, on the other hand, was apparently Australian, because it immediately climbed a tree and attacked me from above, dropping on me when I tried to hack at it in return. Luckily, I managed to roll away from the drop bear's subsequent attacks and was able to stand up again in time to lop its head off.

With no further interruptions, I headed into the elf retreat. Searching around, I discovered the existence of tree houses on the overland map, but I'm having some difficulty locating them in the personal view.

And that, so far, is my first adventure mode foray in DF2014. Strange monster conversations, labyrinthine mountain halls, severed necks, flower-picking, drop bears, and tree houses, all within the span of a half hour or so. I'm impressed!
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: July 11, 2014, 06:46:19 pm »

Quote from: Above poster
snip, with something about shouting disabling single talking.
Does it show the regular menu, or the Greeting/never mind menu? If the former, "say goodbye." Latter, do the second choice (skip greeting.)

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: July 11, 2014, 07:10:47 pm »

Been lurking for a while.  Decided to try adventure mode this update.  Some pretty amazing stuff's been happening, but it almost always results in my own death, and I'm having trouble figuring out what I've done wrong.  Beyond the obvious Boogeymen/Blind Troll deaths, my demigods keep dying to random schmucks, despite wearing armor, and having high skills.  Usually it's the first or second fight I get into.  Any advice on making a good adventurer?

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: July 11, 2014, 07:41:41 pm »

Been lurking for a while.  Decided to try adventure mode this update.  Some pretty amazing stuff's been happening, but it almost always results in my own death, and I'm having trouble figuring out what I've done wrong.  Beyond the obvious Boogeymen/Blind Troll deaths, my demigods keep dying to random schmucks, despite wearing armor, and having high skills.  Usually it's the first or second fight I get into.  Any advice on making a good adventurer?
Grind. Throw rocks at the ground, wrestle hedgehogs, torture any bandits you disable, whatever you can do for skill.

Larix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: July 11, 2014, 08:00:43 pm »

Morale of NPCs seems a bit off for now. Took a gander at a kobold bandit camp, sneakily killed one of the two armed kobolds and the dozen or so kobold wrestlers all huddled in terror. Some bandits you are.

The day before i had arrived in some human hamlet after killing a human necromancer (my char's constantly crying now) and wondered why everybody made scared noises and one farmer went and climbed up a wall. Turns out i'd forgotten to unwield my weapons.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: July 11, 2014, 08:13:45 pm »

PERHAPS THE INHABITANTS OF YOUR STARTING CAMP SHOULD NOT MURDER YOU

In seriousness, if your home is a camp you should be on friendly terms with the bandits, refugees, whatever, who live there.  :(
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: July 11, 2014, 08:17:43 pm »

Just had another go with an Elf.  Turns out, I'd spawned in a place where it was always cold, and since elves don't start with food, and the only food I found in the trees was in stacks of one-hundred, I nicked what precious items I could and left, taking the knowledgable swordself guide with me.  I'd figured I could make it to a dwarven fort to trade for an actual bow, since that's where my skills lie, and some proper food and water I could find on the way.

I was wrong on the water, and wrong on the food, apparently.  I came across a human hamlet halfway there, and saw a well near some houses.  So I though, cool, I can probably nick some food and fill my bag with water at the well.  I arrived to dwarf necromancer getting his head crushed by an elven zombie, assumedly of his own creation.  And lucky me, the zombies were also hostile to me.  My swordself friend got bludgeoned to death by another zombie, and after she died, the zombie choked me out.

Fun!  Still wishing I could survive longer, though.

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: July 11, 2014, 08:20:39 pm »

Annnnnnd... New adventurer, same camp. Guy who killed my last adventurer "Hello, it's good to see you!"

And then he chatted pleasantly and did not try to kill me.

DF2014: Psychopathy update
It was inevitable.

EDIT: Don't touch his stuff apparently. :-\ Also, has anyone noticed that NPCs have a tendency to accept your demands to yield/cease hostilities and then keep fighting?
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

ClorrProdigal

• Bay Watcher
  • My God! It's full of dwarves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: July 11, 2014, 08:29:22 pm »

Encountered a necromancer and his zombie friend in a regular camp.
Spoiler: Or maybe not (click to show/hide)

Zombie was completely friendly. I'm sure this works on the same level as dem friendly night creatures. Still funny to witness, though.

you report that?
---------------------
started a new adventurer and took over a fortified town, apparently stopped an insurrection despite the fact that no one attacked or anything like that... later became a vampire and ruled my city in a vampire way. feeding on my residents, turning my hearthpeople into vampires, slaughtering anyone who dared speak out against me... or anyone who dared to spit at me and call me a murderer.
really loving ruling as a vampire lord. not loving the fact that i lost all of that because of save corruption when you retire an adventurer.

How did you turn your hearthpeople into vampires?
So uh, seriously, how? I would very much like to become the lord of my own vampire faction.

squiddwarf16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: July 11, 2014, 08:54:05 pm »

Started as a dwarf in adventure mode. Wandered around for a bit in the fortress talking to random people and I met a goblin metal worker!  He seemed friendly so I left him alone. Wandered a bit more and found the king. The only problem with this king is that he was a goblin as well. So I sneakily hacked him up with a silver axe, wandered around for a bit, and all of a sudden everyone is killing everyone else! Went down some ramps that lead to the magma forges and came back up, killed a dwarf that was attacking me, ran away, got attacked by a goblin, dodged, fell down a hole, exploded near the magma forges.

10/10

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: July 11, 2014, 09:17:38 pm »

Encountered a necromancer and his zombie friend in a regular camp.
Spoiler: Or maybe not (click to show/hide)

Zombie was completely friendly. I'm sure this works on the same level as dem friendly night creatures. Still funny to witness, though.

you report that?
---------------------
started a new adventurer and took over a fortified town, apparently stopped an insurrection despite the fact that no one attacked or anything like that... later became a vampire and ruled my city in a vampire way. feeding on my residents, turning my hearthpeople into vampires, slaughtering anyone who dared speak out against me... or anyone who dared to spit at me and call me a murderer.
really loving ruling as a vampire lord. not loving the fact that i lost all of that because of save corruption when you retire an adventurer.

How did you turn your hearthpeople into vampires?
So uh, seriously, how? I would very much like to become the lord of my own vampire faction.

Bite them, you big ole' dummy.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Vgray

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: July 11, 2014, 09:20:35 pm »

DF vampires don't work like that silly.
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 52