Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 109240 times)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #435 on: July 09, 2014, 04:12:22 pm »

Couldn't get out of the starting fortress yet...fast-travel does not seem to help.

Conversations are kinda weird now...why does that guy hate me?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I think the Surturer was yelling something, there were yellow !s, but I couldn't figure out how to listen...

His group doesn't like your group.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 09, 2014, 04:31:54 pm »

Couldn't get out of the starting fortress yet...fast-travel does not seem to help.

Conversations are kinda weird now...why does that guy hate me?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Also I think the Surturer was yelling something, there were yellow !s, but I couldn't figure out how to listen...
Not sure if it's causing all of the hatred, but you should sheathe your weapon with (q) if you're indoors. People tend to freak out about it ("Is this an attack?  What's going on?!").
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Azrayel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 09, 2014, 04:41:17 pm »

First Vamp iCame upon fled upon my accusation; I pinpointed the cottage he lived in and tried moving away and back, which worked once, but he got away a second time because one of his room mates got in my way--my guys pursued while I whipped the legs out from under the valiant human, but by then it was too late.

I was dehyd and all nearby water was daytime frozen, so after it became obvious I wasn't going to get myself some vampy goodness and couldn't get anyone to finger a new location for the bastard I decided to retire (due to the glitch whereby I believe death would render my world unplayable for future adventurers yet retiring or giving in is fine und dandy).
I then asked a porcupine about its troubles and the game crashed.

Motherland Calling: Tsar Needs Block Breakers

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 09, 2014, 05:38:26 pm »

If you have a waterskin filled with ice you can light a campfire, stand next to it, then (I)nteract with your waterskin. You'll have the option to heat the waterskin over the fire to melt the ice. Bam, you can drink.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 05:50:07 pm by Spehss _ »
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

raler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 09, 2014, 05:47:20 pm »

I guess you can ask bandit leaders to be a lieutenant, has anyone tried this?

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 09, 2014, 05:52:40 pm »

First Vamp iCame upon fled upon my accusation; I pinpointed the cottage he lived in and tried moving away and back, which worked once, but he got away a second time because one of his room mates got in my way--my guys pursued while I whipped the legs out from under the valiant human, but by then it was too late.

I was dehyd and all nearby water was daytime frozen, so after it became obvious I wasn't going to get myself some vampy goodness and couldn't get anyone to finger a new location for the bastard I decided to retire (due to the glitch whereby I believe death would render my world unplayable for future adventurers yet retiring or giving in is fine und dandy).

You really think, that your adventures are glitching your world after they die?
From what I've experienced and heard, retiring your characters is a glitchy process in itself.
If it's 100% cause your worlds to corrupt or something, then make sure you bring them into the wilderness, as retired adventures may or may not wreck havoc upon the location they reside in, and make meeting them a buggy proposition.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 09, 2014, 06:06:25 pm »

Sprinting and jumping at the roofs reminded me the "Assassin's Creed" game series xD Maybe eventually there will be more air for thieving stuff, climbing or jumping into houses through the windows and stealing valuable things? Evading guards and servants? I might have confused at some point, but I think I read something like that in the development reports, or didn't I?

Yes, there is a dev goal for "crimes and justice" which includes NPC and player criminal activity, and justice systems(city watches, guards, jails, ability to take prisoners and restrain people, etc.) to combat said criminal activity. I think Toady has said it will likely come when he gets around to adding "manors" and other similar things to sites. The manors and other types of elaborate homes and other buildings would presumably have good loot...and guards on patrols and whatnot. This is why I hope Toady does more site-related stuff in the next big update. Manors, Inns & Taverns, mines and other industry sites, etc, etc, and the schedules for the NPC's to actually do stuff in sites rather than just kind of faking activity as mostly happens now)

Lightman

• Bay Watcher
  • The groboclones are looking for you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 09, 2014, 06:48:34 pm »

Excluding a crash, I'm having a lot of fun with the new adventure mode!

I tried a pocket sized world with a very short history, could still only play one adventurer before Calendar crashing ensued.

Are you sure it's crashing?  A medium world took 30 minutes to update on my computer.  Remember that the window stops updating during that process, so it will appear frozen (but the highlighted day will change, slowly).  If you wait, though, it will progress.

[...]
I can pick their leaves, but when I try to eat them my adventurer only licks them.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

You can eat some leaves, such as spinach.  It might have been the wrong season for the fruit.

CypherLH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 09, 2014, 06:54:52 pm »

Man, once we get a few of the bug fix releases out of the way this version in adventure mode is going to be so EPIC. Its already fun even with the crashes and various janky behaviors...imagine when we can actually block stuff and enemies don't always cower in fear or run away ;) I'll kind of miss the uber-stealth that seems to let me utterly destroy enemies even as a peasant with no sneak skills ;) The conversation system is already AWESOME but could be 1000% improved by the ability to filter/sort in some of the sub-menu's. Also, the NPC's do get a bit spammy with repeated statements at times, that could probably be throttled back a bit.

The best part is that we now have proof that Toady can actually pull off the long term vision, we have a mostly functional ALIVE world now, even if its just the foundations at this point and even if there's a few janky behaviors to fix. The basic guts of the active world are here now and mostly working!

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 09, 2014, 07:06:45 pm »

My wife and I (I took over a site and my companion was listed as "lady" from that point forward) were adventuring when I encountered a procedurally generated monster, which threw me around and crunched my head.

My wife did nothing.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 09, 2014, 07:09:42 pm »

Excluding a crash, I'm having a lot of fun with the new adventure mode!

I tried a pocket sized world with a very short history, could still only play one adventurer before Calendar crashing ensued.

Are you sure it's crashing?  A medium world took 30 minutes to update on my computer.  Remember that the window stops updating during that process, so it will appear frozen (but the highlighted day will change, slowly).  If you wait, though, it will progress.

He used a pocket world, and ran for only 5 years in worldgen, basically the quickest load you can get, id be if surprised it took more then 30 seconds.
The amount of history in worldgen, and especially world size will make it longer.
Generating a medium world... well, anything past a "small" world is a really, really bad idea.

My wife and I (I took over a site and my companion was listed as "lady" from that point forward) were adventuring when I encountered a procedurally generated monster, which threw me around and crunched my head.

My wife did nothing.

Hrm, do you mean you were attacked by a night-creature? Or are their new monsters I've not encountered in adventure?
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:15:18 pm by RealFear »
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 09, 2014, 07:20:15 pm »

Man, once we get a few of the bug fix releases out of the way this version in adventure mode is going to be so EPIC. Its already fun even with the crashes and various janky behaviors...imagine when we can actually block stuff and enemies don't always cower in fear or run away ;) I'll kind of miss the uber-stealth that seems to let me utterly destroy enemies even as a peasant with no sneak skills ;) The conversation system is already AWESOME but could be 1000% improved by the ability to filter/sort in some of the sub-menu's. Also, the NPC's do get a bit spammy with repeated statements at times, that could probably be throttled back a bit.

The best part is that we now have proof that Toady can actually pull off the long term vision, we have a mostly functional ALIVE world now, even if its just the foundations at this point and even if there's a few janky behaviors to fix. The basic guts of the active world are here now and mostly working!

You can filter/sort via keyword.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 09, 2014, 07:23:49 pm »

My wife did nothing.

Hrm, do you mean you were attacked by a night-creature? Or are their new monsters I've not encountered in adventure?

I kinda attacked a night creature.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 09, 2014, 08:22:10 pm »

I would like to point out that severed body parts are named after the part closest to the root. The root body part is the upper body. Now that the neck is a seperate part from the head (as opposed to being a subcomponent of the head), neck-level decapitations produce a part labeled as "neck", despite the part containing the head. This is the same logic that labels a severed hand as a "right hand" rather than naming the fingers.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 09, 2014, 08:32:46 pm »

Well, it's nice to know that THE KING HATES ME.
So I'm going to spit on him.
Continually.
Over the head of a gem setter.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 52