Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND! (Adventure Mode)  (Read 109242 times)

Arbinire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 (Adventure Mode)
« Reply #210 on: July 08, 2014, 02:46:39 pm »

In the unlikely event you want to seriously play an elf, don't start in a civilization that's nested in palm trees, as there are no branches to climb down :P

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #211 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:31 pm »

Jumping at an unconscious(or blinded, or wrestled by someone else) enemy of comparable size makes them fly, like, four or five tiles away. This! Is! SPARTA!

What button jumps?

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 08, 2014, 02:52:06 pm »

Jumping at an unconscious(or blinded, or wrestled by someone else) enemy of comparable size makes them fly, like, four or five tiles away. This! Is! SPARTA!

What button jumps?

"j".

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2014, 02:52:53 pm »

Looks like we have been gifted a new and powerful set of tools to suitably deal with schmuck bait.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

WordsandChaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Words and Chaos blog
« Reply #214 on: July 08, 2014, 02:59:40 pm »

Finding things in those version is way harder than it was. I've wandered all over the damn place looking for various things using the conversation system. it's really cool, by the way. I really like finding random travellers on the road. I followed a swordsman out of town across a couple of fields. he stopped and admired a grassy slope, so I climbed a tree.

I went looking or a vampire. I found someone who could tell me where it was after wandering around for an hour or so. Apparently the vampire was 'on the move or underground' - which is about as useful as elves on a breastplate. No luck there, then. I looked for  criminal organisation in a town to the west. I asked the lord about local troubles, he told me all about a criminal organisation far to the north. He had nothing to say about his own town.

I can't quite tell how I'm supposed to find the adventures that need doing, to be honest.

Oh, and cat migrations.

Wandering around hamlets looking for miscellaneous people, listening to the random old dudes tell their babies about the horrifying demon that's going to crush their bones into dust one day, suddenly off in the distance there are cats. Lots of cats. They storm into the hamlets, fill the streets, and headbump every sod in sight. You can't move for the cats. This has happened more than once, I laughed heartily.

It is terrifying.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:10:46 pm by WordsandChaos »

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 08, 2014, 03:06:48 pm »

Once you rip out peoples tongues they shouldn't be able to talk.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 08, 2014, 03:08:38 pm »

I got robbed.

A group of 2 goblins and 2 Dwarves walked up to me, surrounded me, made me drop my spear and backpack, and took them. I got mugged in Dwarf Fortress. Awesome.

I did kill the goblins, one of which spit on me while i was dropping my spear, but the Dwarves got the better of me.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 08, 2014, 03:31:49 pm »

The criminal organizations are like if a bandit camp was spread throughout a town.

People in the same town will often not mention them, probably because they seem to form relationships with them.

The one I found was a group of white snake men. One I found was a star on the travel map, led to an ambush. The offender wasn't just a criminal, but also a vampire snake woman. Even though she was in no quarter mode, she just kept running from me. So I sprinted after her, slashing at her uncontested for several blocks while neighbors were freaking out. Not because of the vampire snake woman in their town, but because of my violence towards it. :)
So I finally wised up, grabbed her by the nose from behind, and chopped off her head. Immediately following this, a boner (tee hee) starts spitting at me, and draws their knife after I punched him in the face. So I gave his lower body a heavy kick, causing him to vomit, cursing me as the slayer of the vampire woman he loved, spouting off about the grief between bouts off retching. So I chopped his arm off, finally getting him to run away, blood spraying out of his torso, crying for help. Someone else had to die when they went straight to no quarter for attacking his friend.
Amazing to see that loyalty cascades are gone, and now the worst thing from these exploits is that people ask me not to hurt anyone when I show up. This prompts me to brag about the four or so entities I just killed or maimed. All they could say was "It was terrible."

Later, I found the criminal's captain, another white snake woman just hanging out in their house. She had actually tried to kill me....with a blowgun. Everything bounced off my leather clothes, so she was easily dispatched.

Adventure mode is finally becoming the RPG of my dreams :)

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 08, 2014, 03:44:39 pm »

The criminal organizations are like if a bandit camp was spread throughout a town.

People in the same town will often not mention them, probably because they seem to form relationships with them.

The one I found was a group of white snake men. One I found was a star on the travel map, led to an ambush. The offender wasn't just a criminal, but also a vampire snake woman. Even though she was in no quarter mode, she just kept running from me. So I sprinted after her, slashing at her uncontested for several blocks while neighbors were freaking out. Not because of the vampire snake woman in their town, but because of my violence towards it. :)
So I finally wised up, grabbed her by the nose from behind, and chopped off her head. Immediately following this, a boner (tee hee) starts spitting at me, and draws their knife after I punched him in the face. So I gave his lower body a heavy kick, causing him to vomit, cursing me as the slayer of the vampire woman he loved, spouting off about the grief between bouts off retching. So I chopped his arm off, finally getting him to run away, blood spraying out of his torso, crying for help. Someone else had to die when they went straight to no quarter for attacking his friend.
Amazing to see that loyalty cascades are gone, and now the worst thing from these exploits is that people ask me not to hurt anyone when I show up. This prompts me to brag about the four or so entities I just killed or maimed. All they could say was "It was terrible."

Later, I found the criminal's captain, another white snake woman just hanging out in their house. She had actually tried to kill me....with a blowgun. Everything bounced off my leather clothes, so she was easily dispatched.

Adventure mode is finally becoming the RPG of my dreams :)

There's nothing greater than an enemy who refuses to yield while they literally run away crying.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 08, 2014, 03:49:32 pm »

I noticed this when a human law-giver spit on me for killing the local boss. I then stabbed him.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 08, 2014, 03:53:44 pm »

Dear god, this werepig refuses to DIE. I've shot it multiple times with my crossbow, smashed its skull in with a silver war hammer and slashed and stabbed with a scimitar. All the while I'm wrestling to put a chokehold on him while in stealth.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Roundabout Lout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 08, 2014, 03:54:42 pm »

There's nothing greater than an enemy who refuses to yield while they literally run away crying.

It went like

"I demand that you yield!"

"You first, coward!"     *Sprints away*

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 08, 2014, 03:56:39 pm »

I guess the goblin army that is attacking this human town is not hostile any more - one started small talk, and, despite the fact they're mobbing me, they aren't attacking me.

AnotherDwarvernDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 08, 2014, 04:10:12 pm »

I chose human outsider; started out in a dwarven civilization. The first dude I talked to told me to go kill a savannah titan for the sake of his town. I asked him where it was, he told me to go find Cog Diamondblood, who had traveled the world and would probably know. Then he told me Cog was in a hillock to the southeast.

I went to the nearest hillock, and threw open the door, cutting a dramatic figure with my leather cloak I had picked up earlier. Actually, I think I was wearing nothing but the cloak, so... people still don't comment on that. A bunch of chatting dwarves were inside, telling a child to go kill a minotaur for them. The child replied that this was terrifying. I decided to try shouting to the room for Cog Diamondblood.

"Must be right around here somewhere," said the guy at the doorway.

"Is that a weapon? What's going on?" a nearby militia commander said.

I strapped my spear to my body to avoid startling the poor, confused man. As I did so I overheard another dwarf telling the child to go kill a brute of the night. The child just stated it was terrifying again. The militia commander pushed past me and walked out the door. A thought struck me, and I walked after him. Yelled a greeting to him.

"Ah, hello. I'm Cog Diamondblood."

So that's my first couple minutes with adventure mode.

Enemy post

• Bay Watcher
  • Modder/GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 08, 2014, 04:11:44 pm »

It went like

"I demand that you yield!"

"You first, coward!"     *Sprints away*
I had that too. I couldn't catch him. In retrospect, running after him could have helped.
My mods and forum games.
Enemy post has claimed the title of Dragonsong the Harmonic of Melodious Exaltion!
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52