Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112774 times)

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #480 on: July 13, 2014, 12:13:41 pm »

In early winter, all the unharvested quarry bush, cave wheat and pig tail shrubs died, leaving "Dead Pig tails" and so on (grey : characters).  This includes shrubs in the caverns and also in what I am hoping will become my tree farm (but it's just got saplings right now).

====
However, a few days later, a live pig tail shrub appeared.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 12:21:18 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: July 13, 2014, 12:29:01 pm »

The human merchants have been stuck at my depot so long that their yaks have dropped calves.  Two calves, born to two different yak cows.  Both are listed as belonging to the merchants, on the units screen.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

shredderslash

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: July 13, 2014, 01:39:14 pm »

My dwarves have axes, but had them from the beginning, but they are all wrestlers now.

Yup, same here.  Mix of spears and axes, but now all three of my mil dwarves are Wrestlers.  My militia commander has her -steel spear- "Strapped to Upper Body", and is doing an Individual weapon drill.  Same for Endok with his axe, doing an Individual weapon drill with the axe Strapped to Upper Body.  Only Tulon has her spear in her hand.

Hmm, maybe it's because the dwarves climbed somewhere and had to put away their weapons and they never bothered to take the weapons back into their hands.

Naw, this is a problem even with adventure mode's auto attack, I've been dual wielding and my character will still feel its necessary to punch somebody in the arm.

My auto attack works fine until my weapon gets stuck. The auto attack used to twist the weapon around freeing the weapon if it got stuck but now it just starts punching and grabbing instead.

ShinQuickMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Mook
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: July 13, 2014, 04:01:11 pm »

Interacial marrige is a thing now; an elf married a human.

Mother of god. It begins. BRACE YOURSELVES, THE HALF-ELVES ARE COMING!!

Theres no reason to expect them to be capable of viable offspring..

Actually, if this works anything like .34, then yes, they can breed true. The only litmus on birthing a child when it comes to civilization members seems to be whether both parents are married to each other and both are of opposite gendered castes (that is, one has the [MALE] tag and the other the [FEMALE] tag). There are, of course, no half-breeds; only the female's gender apparently matters when it comes to offspring.

I ran into these results when I was testing some transformation curses I modded in. On an off-note, both kept on mating even long after one was transformed into a monstrous behemoth.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 04:05:34 pm by ShinQuickMan »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: July 13, 2014, 04:54:57 pm »

Been doing some experiments in advanced worldgen, turns out unless dwarves have an extra site (Hillocks), the first site (Fortress) is pretty much always destroyed/taken over by a forgotten beast, and that civ is lost.

Also, and this is far more disturbing on so many levels..

It would appear dwarven sites (Hillocks), that is, those created after civ generation, will not succeed without surface wood (plants? grass?) being present.

In particular, there will be zero dwarven sites created with a 9 rainfall / 100 drainage / no civ cap / no pop cap world, while there will be several hundred or thousand sites created with 10 rainfall / 100 drainage / no civ cap / no pop cap.

The difference?  Trees will be missing from the former, but present in the latter!
Clearly, the Elven "Wood First" Agenda appears to have affected 40.02.  :P :P

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #485 on: July 13, 2014, 06:27:00 pm »

Climbing idiots in worldgen forts can lead to brutal tantrum spirals.

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: July 13, 2014, 06:29:12 pm »

I can't even drill a magma shaft because now when the dwarf sacrifice gets thirsty, instead of continuing to dig, he CLIMBS OUT OF THE SHAFT.  And then won't climb back down and resume.
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: July 13, 2014, 06:31:49 pm »

I can't even drill a magma shaft because now when the dwarf sacrifice gets thirsty, instead of continuing to dig, he CLIMBS OUT OF THE SHAFT.  And then won't climb back down and resume.

Just put a hatch cover at the top and lock it. That should work. Or just toss cats at him while he's climbing up so he falls back down again.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: July 13, 2014, 06:52:00 pm »

I wonder if you smooth the top, if he will not try to get out, or go climb to below the smoothing and get stuck.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: July 13, 2014, 06:59:15 pm »

In fortress mode, tree regrowth of any kind still appears completely broken, as of 40.03.

If anyone has successfully seen a tree grow beyond a sapling, on an embark, in fortress mode, under any conditions in 40.03, please reply or PM me.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: July 13, 2014, 07:33:22 pm »

Worldgen is substantially less stable than in the prior versions before the big update.

I have tried 5 times to generate a large world with long history-- each time except this last one, (which had more conservative settings), the game simply either hangs when finalizing the world, or crashes during history generation.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: July 13, 2014, 07:42:15 pm »

Toady has said not to try that...it is not optimized or really ready for large/long worlds right now...so that's probably why

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: July 13, 2014, 07:43:12 pm »

In fortress mode, tree regrowth of any kind still appears completely broken, as of 40.03.

If anyone has successfully seen a tree grow beyond a sapling, on an embark, in fortress mode, under any conditions in 40.03, please reply or PM me.

How do you know it's broken? It may be that trees take a realistic 10 or so years to grow now that they drop 40+ logs a piece

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: July 13, 2014, 07:45:18 pm »

How do you know it's broken? It may be that trees take a realistic 10 or so years to grow now that they drop 40+ logs a piece
The fact that it seems absolutely no saplings grow beyond that stage and just die.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: July 13, 2014, 08:21:28 pm »

I can't get the world to generate in 40.03. every time I finish creating the world, the game crashes. It's severely reducing my enjoyment of the game.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 44