Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112783 times)

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #465 on: July 13, 2014, 01:53:39 am »

I did find that sometimes when plants are in barrels it will tell you there is nothing brewable...simple fix is to just make a plants only stockpile and make it so no barrels are accepted there...not had a single problem since I started doing that for brewing

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: July 13, 2014, 02:21:40 am »

My dwarves have axes, but had them from the beginning, but they are all wrestlers now.

Yup, same here.  Mix of spears and axes, but now all three of my mil dwarves are Wrestlers.  My militia commander has her -steel spear- "Strapped to Upper Body", and is doing an Individual weapon drill.  Same for Endok with his axe, doing an Individual weapon drill with the axe Strapped to Upper Body.  Only Tulon has her spear in her hand.

Hmm, maybe it's because the dwarves climbed somewhere and had to put away their weapons and they never bothered to take the weapons back into their hands.

Naw, this is a problem even with adventure mode's auto attack, I've been dual wielding and my character will still feel its necessary to punch somebody in the arm.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: July 13, 2014, 02:35:13 am »

Interacial marrige is a thing now; an elf married a human.

Mother of god. It begins. BRACE YOURSELVES, THE HALF-ELVES ARE COMING!!
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

AMTiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: July 13, 2014, 03:55:37 am »

Interacial marrige is a thing now; an elf married a human.

Mother of god. It begins. BRACE YOURSELVES, THE HALF-ELVES ARE COMING!!

Theres no reason to expect them to be capable of viable offspring..

Also, to the posts above, thanks for the brewing stuff its what I came to ask too.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: July 13, 2014, 06:23:18 am »

Some of the really annoying bugs are still in.
Came across the burrows bug.
Corpses seem to be totally ignored by the butchers shops as opposed to only being usable if really close in previous versions.

Im somewhat perplexed at the new plants. Some of them seem entirely useless, which is really weird. Gathered Lentils just clutter the stockpile.

One of your dwarves may suddenly become a king out of the blue. The liason wasnt very clear on this, but some settlement got raided, which i assume was the capital.

Also, apparently brewing potatos gives you... wine? Im sorry?? What flavor is there to be found in a potato? They're used for vodka, silly,silly toady. They are also really not edible raw.... what with the solanine in them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:29:48 am by Z1000000m »

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: July 13, 2014, 06:35:14 am »

Corpses seem to be totally ignored by the butchers shops as opposed to only being usable if really close in previous versions.

Im somewhat perplexed at the new plants. Some of them seem entirely useless, which is really weird. Gathered Lentils just clutter the stockpile.

One of your dwarves may suddenly become a king out of the blue. The liason wasnt very clear on this, but some settlement got raided, which i assume was the capital.

Also, apparently brewing potatos gives you... wine? Im sorry?? What flavor is there to be found in a potato? They're used for vodka, silly,silly toady.
There are bugs with certain plants that prevent their usage.

If your king dies the game chooses a successor, if your entire civ is dead it's generally one of your doodz.

Potato wine is actually a thing.

Edit: You can eat raw potatoes. The solanine is concentrated in the green parts and you get it in the tuber from letting them exposed to sun. Cooking doesn't actually destroy it either. 
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:39:34 am by Broseph Stalin »

Iamblichos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: July 13, 2014, 06:38:07 am »

I've noticed I have far fewer plants. For some reason, seeds are also harder to come by, resulting in less stuff getting planted. If I remember correctly, 0.34 gave you several seeds when a stack of plants were brewed, but now I only get one seed.

AHA!  I think this is most likely the source of the problem.  Good catch.

It's especially noticeable in my current embark because I am on a glacier and farming the first cave which is bare mud, so I only have what I can grow or buy, no gathering to speak of.

EDIT: And yes, I got a grip on the kitchen's bad liquor- and seed-bearing-fruit cooking habits first thing.  I learned that lesson many months ago in a way that I won't soon forget.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 06:40:25 am by Iamblichos »
I'm new to succession forts in general, yes, but do all forts designed by multiple overseers inevitably degenerate into a body-filled labyrinth of chaos and despair like this? Or is this just a Battlefailed thing?

There isn't much middle ground between killed-by-dragon and never-seen-by-dragon.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: July 13, 2014, 06:48:39 am »

Told my 4 hammerdorf squad (mostly raw recruits) to kill an adder.
It took 46 pages of logs and dwarves falling unconscious from being over exerted until it died. They only wrestled it, never using their hammers.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: July 13, 2014, 06:58:51 am »

Told my 4 hammerdorf squad (mostly raw recruits) to kill an adder.
It took 46 pages of logs and dwarves falling unconscious from being over exerted until it died. They only wrestled it, never using their hammers.

That's.... Incredibly strange. All my soldiers have been using thier weapons, though I do admit they tend to prefer grapples (often with thier weapons funnily enough,) and punching over using them.

Z1000000m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:33 am »

Also, apparently brewing potatos gives you... wine? Im sorry?? What flavor is there to be found in a potato? They're used for vodka, silly,silly toady.

Edit: You can eat raw potatoes. The solanine is concentrated in the green parts and you get it in the tuber from letting them exposed to sun. Cooking doesn't actually destroy it either.
I actually want it to consistent. Sure, you can eat raw potatoes, but you can eat raw peas as well. Neither of those things is very smart, and can lead to you enjoying a sickness. Peas are inedible raw in raws, whereas potatoes are edible. Im okay with stuff like onions or garlic, which are edible, but not really eaten on their own, being edible raw, but there should be some consensus if stuff that "could, but shouldnt" be eaten raw is supposed to be be edible or not.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: July 13, 2014, 07:00:50 am »

I admit that I did not read through all pages. :D
My other squads seem to be doing fine as well. Most wildlife dies to wounds inflicted by weapons.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: July 13, 2014, 07:02:18 am »

I actually want it to consistent. Sure, you can eat raw potatoes, but you can eat raw peas as well. Neither of those things is very smart, and can lead to you enjoying a sickness. Peas are inedible raw in raws, whereas potatoes are edible. Im okay with stuff like onions or garlic, which are edible, but not really eaten on their own, being edible raw, but there should be some consensus if stuff that "could, but shouldnt" be eaten raw is supposed to be be edible or not.

Well, the dwarves might just have other digestion systems than we have.

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: July 13, 2014, 09:17:40 am »

I've noticed I have far fewer plants. For some reason, seeds are also harder to come by, resulting in less stuff getting planted. If I remember correctly, 0.34 gave you several seeds when a stack of plants were brewed, but now I only get one seed.

AHA!  I think this is most likely the source of the problem.  Good catch.

It's especially noticeable in my current embark because I am on a glacier and farming the first cave which is bare mud, so I only have what I can grow or buy, no gathering to speak of.

Is there a bug report on the tracker for this? I can't find one.

Rince Wind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: July 13, 2014, 10:18:29 am »

Has anyone else noted that the masterwork reports for statues are incorrect? When it says "... made a masterwork statue of goats" it could be anything, usually a statue of a dwarf from my fortress.

Both metalworking and masonry announcements seem to have this problem. I'd really like to have all of these animal statues, instead of those of people settling in or raising their masterworks socks. :(
Especially that lead statue of blacktip reef sharks. :D
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 10:29:15 am by Rince Wind »

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: July 13, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »

Found a crash on a reclaim. The game consistently crashes on the 12th or 13th of of Obsidian(Late Winter), the first year. Fort was abandoned during the late summer(the one I complained about before), and reclaimed. I'm not sure the exact cause is, possibly a scheduled migrant wave(no migrants had come yet). I also noticed that trying to reload the save causes a crippling slowdown on my system, with an insane usage of physical memory not present when normally running DF.

As a separate issue, DF keeps its process in Task Manager when closed.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 44