Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110436 times)

siri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #165 on: July 08, 2014, 01:54:44 pm »

apparently caravans pack their goods up instantly now instead of taking a year to sort through their stuff  :D

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 08, 2014, 01:57:13 pm »

I had two kobold thieves show up.  They immediately started flashing blue-something, and their main unit-view page said they were "Overcome by terror", or something similar, as they fled from my hideous beards.

However, the c screen does NOT show anything but my Dwarven civ.  The kobold civ usually appears on that list as soon as the first kobold enters the map, even if he's still stealthed.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 08, 2014, 02:00:08 pm »

I've noticed if you designate a bunch of plants for harvesting, and they aren't ripe yet (blueberries) dwarves will harvest the bush itself and I don't think you get any fruit from it.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 08, 2014, 02:10:40 pm »

Had a bunch of draftees run from a cave crocodile on a reclaim, so we just walled him in.

Has anyone found out why we have Metal Thrones instead of anvils in these world gen forges? I am going to melt them down for steel.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Awessum Possum

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 08, 2014, 02:44:12 pm »

I noticed that too.
because everyone here is OCD and ADHD, and then complain when their dwarfs act similarly in game.
@I used to be an axelord like you, until I took a (+bronze bolt+) to the upper leg, chipping the bone through the *copper leggings*!@

Bastus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 08, 2014, 02:45:20 pm »

Got a kobold thief in my Fort and my two Spear Dwarfs who were part of my embarking crew killed him just to become "Overcome by terror".
They do realise that this will happen everytime they decide to stab a kobold/goblins brain with a copper spear, right?

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 08, 2014, 02:51:22 pm »

Had a bunch of draftees run from a cave crocodile on a reclaim, so we just walled him in.

Has anyone found out why we have Metal Thrones instead of anvils in these world gen forges? I am going to melt them down for steel.

Draftees likely have 0 discipline which means they flee at anything.

As for the metal thrones? Real dwarves smith on their beards...they just need somewhere to sit when they do it. Anvils are for weaker races.

rumpel

• Bay Watcher
  • test
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 08, 2014, 03:28:07 pm »

Oh wow. The new forests are beautiful. Well, unless a dwarf gets hit by some logs and then stops moving.

Romesaria

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 08, 2014, 03:28:50 pm »

My first impressions?

It won't stop crashing.  I really want to play this, but it seems to just die in a funfire while mining on either machine I've tried it on.

Fun!  ;)

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 08, 2014, 03:29:18 pm »

Another thing I just noticed, underneath a 2x2 ginko tree trunk, in my "underground" area, there is a corresponding 2x2 patch of above ground, light ground that is growing the surface grass on it. I mined out the root system apparently. No extra branches on the tree itself, just a stump.

Cutting the tree down now to see what is happening.

Ok, there is a L shape hole where the tree was now.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 08, 2014, 03:32:28 pm »

Advice, if embarking with military dorfs give them some skill points in discipline. Otherwise they might run from wild turkeys in terror.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 08, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »

Another thing I just noticed, underneath a 2x2 ginko tree trunk, in my "underground" area, there is a corresponding 2x2 patch of above ground, light ground that is growing the surface grass on it. I mined out the root system apparently. No extra branches on the tree itself, just a stump.

Cutting the tree down now to see what is happening.

Ok, there is a L shape hole where the tree was now.

Every time I mine any part of a root system the entire roots and corresponding tree above disappear. Where the roots were, it puts back the block tiles that it was overlaying. Why do you have epic trees?
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 03:36:54 pm by Zeranamu »

Boltgun

• Bay Watcher
  • [UTTERANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 08, 2014, 03:34:03 pm »

I am amazed at the trees, I have pecans and apple trees and they got flowers and pollen now.

Also I dug into one tile of roots and the tree 'collapsed', like totally disappeared.

Edit: Then I reclaimed a fort, its entrance is against the site border, good job. (plus crash at unpause)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 04:11:32 pm by Boltgun »

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2014, 04:39:14 pm »

A suggestion for anybody annoyed by discipline:

You can just set in the RAWs [NATURAL_SKILL:[skill token]:[level of skill]]. It goes in the creature files.

So if you want some discipline, but you don't want ridiculous extremes like recruits running away from piglets or whatever, just set a natural skill level of, like 3, or I don't know (needs testing). And then also add that to goblins and so forth.
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

squidgen

• Bay Watcher
  • [INKING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 08, 2014, 04:49:56 pm »

Of course it released while I was out of town. At least there will be some bug fixes and such by the time I get back.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 44