Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110531 times)

itg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #75 on: July 08, 2014, 12:42:46 am »

11 crundles have gone missing. Odd that my dwarves know that, considering I've yet to breach the caverns, let alone see a crundle. I wonder what's going on down there...

Edit: Friendships seem to form more easily now. In less than a season, all of my O7 have at least one friend (about 2 on average), and are on "friendly terms" (a new relationship status) with most of the others. I'm hoping this means we'll see a lot more marriages without having to resort to forced breeding programs.

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 08, 2014, 12:50:02 am »

Dwarves have an unnatural tendency now to climb trees and fall out of them. Mine also have a bad habit of climbing around down inside the mouth of the volcano I embarked to. I'm about to lose my carpenter to dehydration because the frozen pool on the north side of the volcano is the only source of water available to me. I should have foreseen this. I may need to dig down to the lower cavern layers in search of water...

I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable with this whole 'climbing' thing in my fortress.

I don't like the idea of people things I chuck down my garbage pits being able to 'possibly' climb out again later.
Guess i'll just have to make them that much deeper to make sure everything breaks when it hits the bottom.

...or make the top narrower than the bottom..   stuff can't climb on ceilings yet, right?

[ground]
---------------|                |-----------------
                  |               |
            ------                -----|    <----celing
            |                            |
            | 
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  [spikey pit of fun]
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:52:01 am by dirkzen »
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 08, 2014, 12:52:33 am »

Dwarves have an unnatural tendency now to climb trees and fall out of them. Mine also have a bad habit of climbing around down inside the mouth of the volcano I embarked to. I'm about to lose my carpenter to dehydration because the frozen pool on the north side of the volcano is the only source of water available to me. I should have foreseen this. I may need to dig down to the lower cavern layers in search of water...

I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable with this whole 'climbing' thing in my fortress.

I don't like the idea of people things I chuck down my garbage pits being able to 'possibly' climb out again later.
Guess i'll just have to make them that much deeper to make sure everything breaks when it hits the bottom.

...or make the top narrower than the bottom..   stuff can't climb on ceilings yet, right?

[ground]
---------------|                |-----------------
                  |               |
            ------                -----|    <----celing
            | 
            ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
                  [spikey pit of fun]

Good design.  Also, hatch covers?
At last, she is done.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 08, 2014, 12:58:16 am »

I don't remember where I read it, and it might not of even been an official thing, but I recall reading something about not being able to climb smoothed walls, and some other types. Worth a try anyway, smooth the pit walls all the way down and see if they can climb out :D

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 08, 2014, 01:00:48 am »

Does anyone know if there is a use for/interaction with tree roots? They don't seem to disappear when you chop down a tree. And I don't think I can mine them...

Wait, small edit. They do vanish upon chopping down the tree.
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

StumpytheOzzie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 08, 2014, 01:02:11 am »

I don't remember where I read it, and it might not of even been an official thing, but I recall reading something about not being able to climb smoothed walls, and some other types. Worth a try anyway, smooth the pit walls all the way down and see if they can climb out :D

Just smooth a ring around the top. They can climb up a little bit but will end up going around in circles as they try to find a rough edge.
Jesus doesn't embark in terrifying biomes, and these forums certainly count.

Zale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 08, 2014, 01:07:51 am »

Well, this looks !!Fun!!

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 08, 2014, 01:11:22 am »

Does anyone know if there is a use for/interaction with tree roots? They don't seem to disappear when you chop down a tree. And I don't think I can mine them...

Wait, small edit. They do vanish upon chopping down the tree.

I can mine them, it just doesn't highlight like they are 'designated' - upon mining a root, all of the roots disappear for me and so does the whole tree (no wood)

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 08, 2014, 01:14:44 am »

Dwarven Hillocks do not protect against boogeymen.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 08, 2014, 01:26:14 am »

So a kitten that arrived with a migrant is a legendary climber...what?!
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

sal880612m

• Bay Watcher
  • [SANITY:OPTIONAL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 08, 2014, 01:29:36 am »

After a quick jaunt in both modes I have come to a couple realizations.

1- I feel like I am playing a vastly different game.
2- I really dislike ASCII. Way too cluttered and way too high contrast.
"I was chopping off little bits of 'im till he talked, startin' at the toes."
"You probably should have stopped sometime before his eyes."

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #86 on: July 08, 2014, 01:31:17 am »

Okay, I have the video of me reading the change log out and a season in the Dwarf Mode. I like it so far though the tree felling seems to be instant with an animation that plays as I wasn't able to catch it in motion by stepping slowly through time though I might have still just managed to miss it.

The video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zemwpKNscGs
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

GavJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 08, 2014, 01:36:18 am »

So many crashes... so little idea what's causing them enough to even submit a bug report.

Chopped the big branchy tree from below toward the wagon, crash.
Reload, don't do it this time, try to save instead to make a bugged save game. Crash during save process.

Lol?
Cauliflower Labs – Geologically realistic world generator devblog

Dwarf fortress in 50 words: You start with seven alcoholic, manic-depressive dwarves. You build a fortress in the wilderness where EVERYTHING tries to kill you, including your own dwarves. Usually, your chief imports are immigrants, beer, and optimism. Your chief exports are misery, limestone violins, forest fires, elf tallow soap, and carved kitten bone.

klefenz

• Bay Watcher
  • ミク ミク にしてあげる
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 08, 2014, 01:45:11 am »

I think goblins have eyes that glow in the dark now!

I was walking around in a dwarven fortress and I see a red " in the dark beond the reach of my sight, just the goblin manager.

King Kravoka

« Reply #89 on: July 08, 2014, 01:51:32 am »

I think goblins have eyes that glow in the dark now!

I was walking around in a dwarven fortress and I see a red " in the dark beond the reach of my sight, just the goblin manager.

That was already there...
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44