Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110448 times)

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #60 on: July 07, 2014, 11:33:43 pm »

Wait until summer then you can plant cave wheat.

I just got a migrant that is dabbling in all the combat skills, except kicker as the weapon...hm...
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

Astarch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: July 07, 2014, 11:34:45 pm »

I did a regular embark on a heavily forested site with a brook adjacent to some pretty shear mountains. Everything looked pretty normal until some time passed and the map EXPLODED with cottongrass, garlic, rhubarb, lentils, chicory, spinach, all sorts of plantlife. Haven't figured out how to do anything with the cotton yet, but my dwarves will have a pretty diverse diet at least.

And extremely smooth poops.

Uristits

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 07, 2014, 11:42:26 pm »

There is just so much information to process now. Things need to be grouped up a little bit better in the map menu though

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 07, 2014, 11:45:52 pm »

Also, I have a mule stuck up a tree.

Imma cut the tree down and report back.

Mule fell directly onto a child, but no fun ensued.  Then the game hard crashed my mac, presumably out of retribution.

Nice.

Also do not talk to your god as an adventure... it crashes the game. Got to go through another calendar update.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2014, 11:48:24 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 07, 2014, 11:49:34 pm »

I have embarked to a frosty-topped volcano in the southern sea of my newly generated realm. I figured an island paradise would offer the best chances of success in this, my first DF2014 excursion. I'm going to play it fast and loose, expecting to run into game-breaking bugs. I hear it's impossible to brew drinks. That's a fantastic start.

Edit: An osprey has evidently done a face-plant into the mountainside for no reason. I got a combat report and it's full of wonderful details like the wing and leg getting jammed into the body and becoming an unrecognizable mass. Bits flying everywhere, messy and gory. It's glorious. I hope goblin skulls do the same.
Edit2: HOLY ARMOK WHAT ARE YOU DOING

ONE OF MY MINERS IS CLIMBING DOWN THE WALL INTO THE CALDERA OF THE VOLCANO FOR NO REASON.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:13:48 am by ImagoDeo »
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

twwolfe

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes ponies for their cuteness
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 08, 2014, 12:01:40 am »

I have embarked to a frosty-topped volcano in the southern sea of my newly generated realm. I figured an island paradise would offer the best chances of success in this, my first DF2014 excursion. I'm going to play it fast and loose, expecting to run into game-breaking bugs. I hear it's impossible to brew drinks. That's a fantastic start.

wierd, i can brew drinks just fine...
There are dwarves that are nothing but useless sacrifices - Miners are not one of them.

fourpotatoes

• Bay Watcher
  • N DSD & Sw
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 08, 2014, 12:05:38 am »

Anyone else when booting up adventure mode(Not sure about fort mode haven't tried) keep having it not respond when "updating world"? It's on a calendar screen.

Speed of updating seems to be proportional to history length. I generated two worlds, and the 250-year-old one took well over twice the time of the 90-some-odd year world to finish updating. The 90-some-odd-year-old world still takes longer to update than it did to generate.

Also: my stray yak bull seems to have terrified an eagle so much that it dropped out of the sky.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 12:44:18 am by fourpotatoes »

Washcloth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 08, 2014, 12:07:52 am »

THE TRADER AND TRADE LIAISON FINISH THEIR CONVERSATION IN A TIMELY MANNER

WHUUUUUUT!? :D
"My dwarves seem to have Terminal Party Syndrome; i can't get them to stop partying all of a sudden"- RCIX

dirkzen

• Bay Watcher
  • Flood the depot. Get free stuff.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 08, 2014, 12:08:12 am »

Wood.
Wood everywhere.
Cutting down the trees keeps giving me upwards of 20+ wood each, and I have a feeling these weren't even the 'big' ones.
I'll never have to worry about charcoal ever again.

One tree has already filled my starting wood stockpile.

On the left is the remains of the 'Welcome home' party an alligator threw for me moments after I'd settled in.
Forgotten beasts flying up the wells and eating them might cause some negative effects.

KingBacon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 08, 2014, 12:10:59 am »

I chopped down a tree and smooshed a raccoon. My dorf screamed for help in the combat report....

I also embarked on an abandoned site, big FPS drag but a really cool underfort going all the way to the magma sea.
    e    e   e    U   U     
, , , . , , , , , , , ; , , , , , ; , , , , , 
. . . . . . . e U e   . . 0╬0 
###x##############
###x .  . ☼ ☼####£####
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Drutin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 08, 2014, 12:23:13 am »

As soon as I noticed the new version was out I told everyone I know that I'll be unreachable for the next couple of days.  Gen'd a world, started a fort, and then I think badgers scared my mason and doctor up trees which they promptly fell out of.  Mason has broken leg/ankle, doctor has broken ribs/liver.  Not a bad start, just a few minutes in too.

Elaxter

• Bay Watcher
  • That one guy you don't know.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 08, 2014, 12:27:19 am »

Screwed around in arena mode. I dig the new combat system. A little cumbersome, but it's a big leap from the other advanced combat menu. Heavy attacks, quick attacks, wild attacks, etc. Needs to have a better representation of facing, though. I can use the sneak interface to get a quick look at someone far away.

One bug, Huge. Polly reported. Tried to block an incoming attack. (a punch to the neck, if it matters) Instant CTD.

Climbing is confusing, but like everything DF, if you know what you're looking at you're golden.

Hearing is representing by !s. This is fun when you're chasing someone down and you see their last footsteps before you find and kill them.

I like the "attacks take time," thought I cannot see it very well, it's probably in a background calculation. Heavy attacks are good if you have the time to attack, but a quick attack from behind is recommended.

Neck attacks are a thing now. More so than ever. Combat is extremely deadly now, as it should be. Rewards armor wearing and high skill by the looks of it.

Only played arena mode, the shield bug might not translate to Adventure mode.
Sig
You must kill yourself before you kills you.

Zanzetkuken The Great

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wizard Dragon
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 08, 2014, 12:31:03 am »

I also embarked on an abandoned site, big FPS drag but a really cool underfort going all the way to the magma sea.

I wish there were beds in the rooms, though.
Quote from: Eric Blank
It's Zanzetkuken The Great. He's a goddamn wizard-dragon. He will make it so, and it will forever be.
Quote from: 2016 Election IRC
<DozebomLolumzalis> you filthy god-damn ninja wizard dragon

Cptn Kaladin Anrizlokum

« Reply #73 on: July 08, 2014, 12:35:58 am »

Shield bug is in adventure mode.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 08, 2014, 12:38:50 am »

Dwarves have an unnatural tendency now to climb trees and fall out of them. Mine also have a bad habit of climbing around down inside the mouth of the volcano I embarked to. I'm about to lose my carpenter to dehydration because the frozen pool on the north side of the volcano is the only source of water available to me. I should have foreseen this. I may need to dig down to the lower cavern layers in search of water...
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 44