Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110563 times)

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #570 on: July 17, 2014, 04:17:42 am »

I finally gave Fortress mode a go with the new update (0.40.03 now), and I already had an issue (a small one) 5 minutes in: my animal trainer managed to train a few war and hunting dogs but there's still one normal stray dog that wasn't able to be trained for some reason as I get spammed with "Ranger cancels animal training: no creature.".

I'm curious to know if that issue is common with you guys, have any of you experienced it?
My post ends here.

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: July 17, 2014, 07:05:46 am »

I finally managed to gen a world, but my game crashed twice when I tried to select a place for my fortress.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: July 17, 2014, 05:26:30 pm »

It appears that the multi-z-level targeting of single-z-level attacks bug has been squashed... while that's good in general, I wish I'd known before I built my (non-functional) silk-harvesting chamber.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: July 17, 2014, 06:39:43 pm »

I finally gave Fortress mode a go with the new update (0.40.03 now), and I already had an issue (a small one) 5 minutes in: my animal trainer managed to train a few war and hunting dogs but there's still one normal stray dog that wasn't able to be trained for some reason as I get spammed with "Ranger cancels animal training: no creature.".

I'm curious to know if that issue is common with you guys, have any of you experienced it?
Every damn fort.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: July 17, 2014, 07:33:36 pm »

I'm very surprised you managed to train a dog. Never had (non caged) training work in 2014. Imagine how pissed I was when I caught three saltwater crocodiles (two female one male) and got cancellation spam until they all reverted to wild.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: July 17, 2014, 10:54:56 pm »

Thing that keeps getting me on world gen is the evil biome oceans.  It seems fairly pointless, honestly.

This has been around for a long time. Hopefully in the near future, when Toady’s done with the bug-fixing, he can make the oceans a bit more alive and useful. Good oceans should have mermaid cities, evil oceans should be where the most vile horrors reside and assault the world.

I believe you can fix the problem in custom worldgen by reducing the number of good and evil tiles in large biomes, while increasing the number in small and medium biomes.

While we no longer can farm the mermaids for our needs we can now pillage there city's and mine there walls they will provide for us yet again for the glory of armork
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

palu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: July 18, 2014, 08:26:54 am »

War training worked for me once, when I was reclaiming a worldgen fort. Hasn't worked since, though.
Hmph, palu showing off that reading-the-instructions superpower.
The internet encourages thoughtful, intelligent discussion and if you disagree I hate you.

Bartholomew The Pious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: July 18, 2014, 08:29:47 am »

I started butchering my part-time supply/war dogs, and I noticed their expressions

Does this count as Toady fixing game reactions?
I can't quote for squat, but this is very true. Credit to PTTG?? for this insightful comment.
~Haven & Hearth has always been a terrible game with great promise. That promise kind of faded away, and now it's mainly a way for a few dedicated scumbags to annoy the few new people who drift in.~

Hegemone

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: July 18, 2014, 11:13:00 am »

War training worked for me once, when I was reclaiming a worldgen fort. Hasn't worked since, though.

So far for me if I have a animal training area designated, I get the cancellation spam. Without ever designating an training area, the training works perfectly.

Edit: I spoke too soon, after saving and reloading the game I'm getting the cancellations no matter what.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2014, 06:23:43 pm by Hegemone »

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: July 20, 2014, 02:42:13 pm »

Pitting a caged goblin is no longer safe.

I made a hole over my barracks, and an animal stockpile near it.  So there was a caged swordsgoblin (among others) about 3 tiles away from the hole.  Designated the hole as a pit.  Waited until the spot below it was clear, then ordered the swordsgoblin to be pitted.

My miner accepted the job, took the goblin out of the cage... and panicked.  This caused the goblin to become free.  They started fighting.  I ordered my military to get up there, but they were too late.  My miner died.

Now I'm down to 10 adult dwarves, 3 of them military.  Can I has migrants nao pleese? :(
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

JoeJoe

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: July 20, 2014, 04:52:27 pm »

If I recall correctly, unless the pit was directly next to the cage, pitting goblins was never safe.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: July 20, 2014, 05:00:38 pm »

From the bug fixes:

"Babies don't start strapped with a knife"

:O
._.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: July 20, 2014, 06:07:19 pm »

If I recall correctly, unless the pit was directly next to the cage, pitting goblins was never safe.

I can't prove it was always safe, but I never had a goblin-pitting go wrong in 0.34.11.  So, if there was any danger in 0.34.11, it was either extremely rare, or it depended on a set of circumstances that I never had.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: July 20, 2014, 06:08:18 pm »

I can't prove it was always safe, but I never had a goblin-pitting go wrong in 0.34.11.  So, if there was any danger in 0.34.11, it was either extremely rare, or it depended on a set of circumstances that I never had.

I seem to remember goblin thieves to be pittable, but goblin invaders to freak out dwarves, but I could be wrong.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #584 on: July 20, 2014, 06:51:36 pm »

So I have a video for 40.04 up. Something interesting to note. If you collapse a bit of land that has a tree root the bit of land won't fall. Also to note I still suck at aquifers.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 44