Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110553 times)

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #555 on: July 15, 2014, 09:46:51 pm »

I really really really look forward to Toady getting back to the optimization... 40.03 is running slower than either .01 or .02 for me   :'(
I caved and went back to .34 (again). I spent about two days of enthusiastic play and realized that even though I optimized for speed and was playing in a pocket world with 2 years of history only three years had passed in game.  I've done two years in .34 since dinner.

Same here. The new features are awesome but I'm having trouble running the game at a playable speed. Even small embarks and short histories give worse fps than my previous huge embarks and long histories that I had in .34
I've had a play with the new plants and the colour changes in foliage is just amazingly beautiful.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Rosanna Foxfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: July 15, 2014, 09:47:38 pm »

Thing that keeps getting me on world gen is the evil biome oceans.  It seems fairly pointless, honestly.

This has been around for a long time. Hopefully in the near future, when Toady’s done with the bug-fixing, he can make the oceans a bit more alive and useful. Good oceans should have mermaid cities, evil oceans should be where the most vile horrors reside and assault the world.

I believe you can fix the problem in custom worldgen by reducing the number of good and evil tiles in large biomes, while increasing the number in small and medium biomes.

I just regen to civ placement every time I see one.  Not that I use the evil biomes much, but especially with this update, how the world continues turning after world gen, they can affect things.  Civs that start in/near evil biomes tend to die out, I've noticed.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: July 15, 2014, 09:51:18 pm »

I really really really look forward to Toady getting back to the optimization... 40.03 is running slower than either .01 or .02 for me   :'(
I caved and went back to .34 (again). I spent about two days of enthusiastic play and realized that even though I optimized for speed and was playing in a pocket world with 2 years of history only three years had passed in game.  I've done two years in .34 since dinner.

Same here. The new features are awesome but I'm having trouble running the game at a playable speed. Even small embarks and short histories give worse fps than my previous huge embarks and long histories that I had in .34
I've had a play with the new plants and the colour changes in foliage is just amazingly beautiful.

This. For the moment, I’m probably going to go ahead and go for a large embark and deal with the low FPS. The FPS is pretty bad even on the standard embarks without much flowing water.

Thing that keeps getting me on world gen is the evil biome oceans.  It seems fairly pointless, honestly.

This has been around for a long time. Hopefully in the near future, when Toady’s done with the bug-fixing, he can make the oceans a bit more alive and useful. Good oceans should have mermaid cities, evil oceans should be where the most vile horrors reside and assault the world.

I believe you can fix the problem in custom worldgen by reducing the number of good and evil tiles in large biomes, while increasing the number in small and medium biomes.

I just regen to civ placement every time I see one.  Not that I use the evil biomes much, but especially with this update, how the world continues turning after world gen, they can affect things.  Civs that start in/near evil biomes tend to die out, I've noticed.

Not all civilisations are able to spread to evil biomes so it restricts their expansion. The worst thing though is dwarves have to start on neutral mountains though, so if all your mountain ranges are aligned, you will not get any dwarven civilisations.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: July 16, 2014, 01:12:03 am »

Do you also get all (well, 70%) of the dwarves assigned to military positions (but either inactive squads or "No Orders") to do "individual combat drills"? I like having all Dwarves in some military service, basically 2-3 months on duty, 3-4 months off duty, cycling through training, burrow defending, patrolling my gateways... Currently this is impossible, as they will all go to do their individual combat drills and it can only be changed by removing their squad from the Barracks (T)raining.

And to all those complaining about speed: On my _netbook_ 40.03 runs well enough (in the first couple of years), not really worse than .34.xx (where my current 12 years old fort is close to FPS death...). I'm not going to buy a more powerful machine (I wish I could), at least not until they make them in that size (10", maximum 11") again, with reasonable battery (6-7 hrs when working normally = not playing DF) and storage (> 200 GB) with a non-reflecting screen...
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: July 16, 2014, 01:17:34 am »

Do you also get all (well, 70%) of the dwarves assigned to military positions (but either inactive squads or "No Orders") to do "individual combat drills"? I like having all Dwarves in some military service, basically 2-3 months on duty, 3-4 months off duty, cycling through training, burrow defending, patrolling my gateways... Currently this is impossible, as they will all go to do their individual combat drills and it can only be changed by removing their squad from the Barracks (T)raining.

And to all those complaining about speed: On my _netbook_ 40.03 runs well enough (in the first couple of years), not really worse than .34.xx (where my current 12 years old fort is close to FPS death...). I'm not going to buy a more powerful machine (I wish I could), at least not until they make them in that size (10", maximum 11") again, with reasonable battery (6-7 hrs when working normally = not playing DF) and storage (> 200 GB) with a non-reflecting screen...

Why such a small screen? I personally couldn't imagine playing anything or doing anything at all on a screen that size. I know it's personal preference, but I'd really like to know the reasoning.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #560 on: July 16, 2014, 01:50:07 am »

I have the video that continues on from the one I did for the .03 release up now. I must admit to have lots of FUN in the video though because of having an artifact being completed I managed a good name for it.
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

RealFear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: July 16, 2014, 01:56:45 am »

World size tends to be much more important then history length.
It's a reverse hostage situation, if you kill the snatchers they'll fill your fort with babies.

gunpowdertea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: July 16, 2014, 02:04:27 am »

Why such a small screen? I personally couldn't imagine playing anything or doing anything at all on a screen that size. I know it's personal preference, but I'd really like to know the reasoning.

For playing it sucks a bit (but you do get used to it), for that (DF mostly and UFO-AI) and really working a full day at home I have a screen I can plug it into (and in the office a desktop with much more grunt). The size means portability: It fits in a small bag (murse ;p ), I can use it on the train, in the plane, just sitting on a park bench, sitting in boring conference talks. When seeing people trying to use their heuuge luggables (17" or what?) on the plane I find it tremendously funny - I guess you could use that in business or first...
The long lasting battery means I do not need to fight 10.000 other scientists for the too few power outlets at the large meetings. Being a real computer I can develop my software (Fortran 'cause hey, I'm a scientist) on it and even test really simple scenarios, so tablets just won't cut it (glossy, not much storage, no real operating system, ...)
I don't care. I have discovered that if you spawn elves this way, cats will chase them down and eat them.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: July 16, 2014, 01:03:26 pm »

Yeah, netbooks are pretty cool for DF porpoises, even though the FPS you get with them is pretty bad.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: July 16, 2014, 01:58:04 pm »

Evf bandits have no respect for the wildlife. The are killing any wild animal they can get.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

deepfreeze78

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: July 16, 2014, 10:21:32 pm »

Yeah, netbooks are pretty cool for DF porpoises, even though the FPS you get with them is pretty bad.

Just imagined a bunch of porpoises swimming around with netbooks all playing DF. I'm assuming you meant DF purposes.
Nothing's truly dwarfy until it's been weaponized to kill elves with magma.

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: July 16, 2014, 11:21:18 pm »

So has anyone else noticed what legends says after you retire a fort? xD
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
  • i really apreciate a good analogy
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: July 17, 2014, 01:08:12 am »

well i decided to finaly give fort mode a go and reclaimed a ruined fort sadly it seems my embark area only just covers the entrance most of the fort cant be accessed
important project progress

have some basic idea of whats going to go in it

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: July 17, 2014, 01:26:48 am »

well i decided to finaly give fort mode a go and reclaimed a ruined fort sadly it seems my embark area only just covers the entrance most of the fort cant be accessed

hm it seems the forts seem a lot more wide in adventure mode but it still causes problems up top

oh i see its building around the cavern so everythings stuck on the right hand side with cavern on the other half

tuypo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: July 17, 2014, 01:33:48 am »

heh the legends entry when you retire a fort is hilarious

Pages: 1 ... 36 37 [38] 39 40 ... 44