Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112727 times)

Henny

• Bay Watcher
  • Save All 300 Elves
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #525 on: July 14, 2014, 12:11:07 pm »

I will treat my gay dwarves, should they ever do anything interesting enough to actually make me read their profiles and even notice they're gay in the first place, the same I treat all my other dwarves. As expendable workforce and military grunts.
The strong hand of the overseer is just. Brutal, but just.
Grey langurs came over to steal something, only to be overcome by terror when they realized that they were stealing +grey langur bone gauntlets+.

Moonshadow101

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #526 on: July 14, 2014, 01:09:49 pm »

So, two things about Dwarves sparring:

1. I've had two injuries so far that never would have happened in 34.whatever. It's kept my doctor a bit more busy than otherwise, so that's something.

2. Wrestlers. They're all wrestlers. Wrestling increases at a much faster pace than weapon skills, so all of my soldiers are listed as Wrestlers, even though they're holding and actively using weapons. Interesting behavior.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #527 on: July 14, 2014, 01:17:52 pm »

So, two things about Dwarves sparring:

1. I've had two injuries so far that never would have happened in 34.whatever. It's kept my doctor a bit more busy than otherwise, so that's something.

2. Wrestlers. They're all wrestlers. Wrestling increases at a much faster pace than weapon skills, so all of my soldiers are listed as Wrestlers, even though they're holding and actively using weapons. Interesting behavior.

1. The injuries would happen in .34x if they were the result of wrestling; throws can result in fatalities (without at least leather helmets) and broken bones (lack of armor everywhere else.) In .34x I lost three soldiers to head trauma caused by grunts just doing  the occasional throw and one guy wound up with broken ribs, wrist, and knee from three separate wrestling accidents. They didn't stop until I made sure everyone had at least leather armor. Strangely enough the ones who died were all responsible for his past injuries...

2. It's partly due to them actively doing grapples and throws, sometimes with thier weapons amazingly enough, and partly due to wrestling increasing whenever a dwarf trains combat skills in general. The learn rate is also higher in general which is great, and with pulping back in a squad of armored wrestlers is viable again! :D

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #528 on: July 14, 2014, 01:26:17 pm »

Yay! My first 2014 fortress is crumbling to it's tantrumy end!

An elf caravan arrived at the small piece of my embark site that is evil and got ripped by undead thrips men.
I forgot that trade goods do not drop forbidden :P
Six dead dwarves later, most remaining dwarves are tantruming, mortally afraid, dying up in a tree, or all of those.

In the middle of all of this, a rather large migrant wave arrives, right in the arms of some freshly risen undead otter man corpses.
I see dead and tantruming dwarves everywhere now.

GLORIOUS FUN TIMES
Migrants arriving as complete families means they can insta tantrum if they enter the map and their beloved gets killed !

EDIT: Holy crap a tantruming woodcrafter just killed 4 dwarves in a row, exploding their heads into gore with his bare hands o_0. He is 'very strong' , but doesn't even have any combat skills. Geez if this fort lives he'll be the new glorious leader.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 01:36:20 pm by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #529 on: July 14, 2014, 01:46:19 pm »

personally, I think the "Gay dwarves are a thing now!" thing is a bit overblown.

Why is this really so important? For the most part, you wont even notice a real difference except perhaps in the number of babies cranked out. Dont get me wrong, it's perfectly acceptable and in line with toady's aims of having as close to a realistic simulation as a tokenized abstraction can possibly be, but I look at it in terms of "OMG! Dwarves have EYE COLORS NOW! WOW!" or what have you.

But hey, if it gets you excited, I guess its OK.  Just I dont understand the hubub over it.

Other than that-- Unhappy; Lost several ours of play to random crash. :(

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #530 on: July 14, 2014, 01:54:49 pm »

personally, I think the "Gay dwarves are a thing now!" thing is a bit overblown.

Why is this really so important? For the most part, you wont even notice a real difference except perhaps in the number of babies cranked out. Dont get me wrong, it's perfectly acceptable and in line with toady's aims of having as close to a realistic simulation as a tokenized abstraction can possibly be, but I look at it in terms of "OMG! Dwarves have EYE COLORS NOW! WOW!" or what have you.

But hey, if it gets you excited, I guess its OK.  Just I dont understand the hubub over it.

Right now the argument is about the theoretical implementation of homophobia. And the idea of including it is being treated as an endorsement of it.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #531 on: July 14, 2014, 02:02:26 pm »

Dwarves can be gay now? I was unaware. I don't really care, either.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #532 on: July 14, 2014, 02:20:53 pm »

Dwarves can be gay now? I was unaware. I don't really care, either.

It's new in v0.40 and we're just discovering how the basic mechanics work.  Toady confirmed some of the numbers.

The chance of a gay marriage is pretty small, so you probably won't see very many.  You might see a few same-sex pairings that stop at the Lover stage, never going on to marriage.

It's all moddable, so you can remove same-sex pairings altogether, or adjust the chances in either direction.  It could be quite nice for mods, too.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #533 on: July 14, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »

I also recall seeing a personality thing about being uncomfortable with others who live drastically different from themselves.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #534 on: July 14, 2014, 05:09:37 pm »

Do note that, with the default settings for it, the chance of what happened always before is much, much higher than homosexual marriage.
It's there, but it's not going to kill a fort because there are no children being made.

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #535 on: July 14, 2014, 05:13:07 pm »

I feel the same way -- we need entity tokens to go along with this. I want to be able to make my dwarves openly pansexual if I want, and make goblins ultra traditionalist family-lovers. Give them more reason to be at war forever.

Besides, you think adamantine is for armor? No, my dear, we wear it because it's *fabulous*
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #536 on: July 14, 2014, 06:25:07 pm »

Have we figured out the exact parameters for necromancers raising the dead?

I have a few mangled skeletons from zombies that laid siege to me, and a necromancer that is standing maybe 6 tiles away. Not sure if "mangled" is counting as the body part pulping, but it seems to be working.

ImagoDeo

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOT_THINK:UNTHINKABLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #537 on: July 14, 2014, 06:27:10 pm »

I'm just giving up on making a lasting fort until Toady invents some stable save that'll last me. I had to give up on a nice place in .01, two good starts in .02, and now I'm just gonna say fuck it: single pick challenge, middle of a desert with an aquifer. Go!
What would it be like to live in a world that was copy/pasted? Would we even notice? If not, how many times have we switched celestial harddrives or whatever?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #538 on: July 14, 2014, 06:43:30 pm »

Have we figured out the exact parameters for necromancers raising the dead?

I have a few mangled skeletons from zombies that laid siege to me, and a necromancer that is standing maybe 6 tiles away. Not sure if "mangled" is counting as the body part pulping, but it seems to be working.
Mangled means head, lower body, or upper body pulped. If head lower body or upper body are pulped the necromancer cannot raise the corpse.

Lich180

• Bay Watcher
  • Avatar by PlutoniumApe, "Urist McGuyFieri"
    • View Profile
« Reply #539 on: July 14, 2014, 06:51:08 pm »

Mangled means head, lower body, or upper body pulped. If head lower body or upper body are pulped the necromancer cannot raise the corpse.

Ah ok, I figured that was the case, just wanted to be sure.
Pages: 1 ... 34 35 [36] 37 38 ... 44