Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112749 times)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!
« Reply #495 on: July 13, 2014, 08:35:42 pm »

I find you need to stick with a gen period of below 500 years, and use either a small world, or have very few civs running on a bigger one.

Otherwise, it crashes during worldgen,

PDF urist master

• Bay Watcher
  • Born from cold iron
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: July 13, 2014, 08:38:43 pm »

I find you need to stick with a gen period of below 500 years, and use either a small world, or have very few civs running on a bigger one.

Otherwise, it crashes during worldgen,

I actually tried it with a pocket world and 5 years of history, but it still crashed. I never go beyond 250 years of history and usually stick to short or very short.

I've been genning normal worlds in lieu of large worlds because they're created faster, but the crashes have happened 4 times in a row already. maybe I just have a shitty computer.
We are not evil by choice, but evil by necessity.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: July 13, 2014, 08:47:35 pm »

I genned a few worlds just fine...

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: July 13, 2014, 08:47:57 pm »

Is it bad that I've stuck with 0.40.01 as of late?

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: July 13, 2014, 08:58:56 pm »

Is it bad that I've stuck with 0.40.01 as of late?

Not really. I clung to Spiritnets until a tantrum spiral began (MUST. KILL. ELFS. And spiritnets has not provided knife-ears to make dead. Only climbing accident driven tantrum spiral.) Still got the save and DF download though.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: July 13, 2014, 09:10:08 pm »

I've genn'ed worlds with 10k histories no problem.  However, they have restricted pops/sites/civs, so that might be why.

Takes about 2 minutes to generate..

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:34 pm »

I've genn'ed worlds with 10k histories no problem.  However, they have restricted pops/sites/civs, so that might be why.

Takes about 2 minutes to generate..

I think that's because your computer is either magical or beyond the capabilities of some people.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: July 13, 2014, 09:28:42 pm »

Has version compatibility been broken again? I have a 0.40.02 world, it doesn’t load on 0.40.03.......
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: July 13, 2014, 09:30:40 pm »

Has version compatibility been broken again? I have a 0.40.02 world, it doesn’t load on 0.40.03.......

Toady said that .02 is not compatiable with .03.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: July 13, 2014, 09:31:45 pm »

Toady said that .02 is not compatiable with .03.

I read that. Well **** is all I can say. NEW WORLD, HERE WE GO.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: July 13, 2014, 09:36:20 pm »

That's odd. my .40.01 world genned just fine.  :-\

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: July 13, 2014, 10:50:14 pm »

In fortress mode, tree regrowth of any kind still appears completely broken, as of 40.03.

If anyone has successfully seen a tree grow beyond a sapling, on an embark, in fortress mode, under any conditions in 40.03, please reply or PM me.

How do you know it's broken? It may be that trees take a realistic 10 or so years to grow now that they drop 40+ logs a piece

I got a new tree grown in one of my forts in 2 years albeit is had few logs, but grew in two years, yes.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:11:06 pm by Aristion »
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: July 13, 2014, 10:52:09 pm »

Regenerating my world on 0.40.03 - I’ve noticed when the worldgen is finished but the game finalises the sites (this is the last step of worldgen when it has run all the way), if the site count is above 1100 or so the game crashes.......

That’s on a custom medium worldgen with entity site cap at 1500 rather than 1040 (default)

EDIT: 1061 sites result when I generate with an entity site cap of 1040 (that’s per entity). It seems like the site cap slows down the spread of the civilisations (I generate as many as possible, up to 300) despite that none of them get anywhere near the site cap. When I had an entity site cap of 1500, I got around 1500 sites, and the result was a crash when the counter went a bit over 1100. Hopefully this won’t cause problems in play.

I don’t think I fiddled with that entity site cap in previous versions. However, crashing at 1100 sites means large worlds with any significant history will be right out until the bug is fixed. The reduction has made my world considerably more bland, fewer roads and clear empires after 200 years of worldgen. I’m not asking that the world be covered in civilisation, just that there is significant civilisation to be obvious when scrolling over the map.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 11:06:30 pm by CaptainArchmage »

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: July 13, 2014, 11:02:43 pm »

... I got a new tree type grown in one of my forts in 2 years albeit is had few logs, but grew in two years, yes.
Can you elaborate a bit on this, if possible?

What version did this happen in? 40.01, 40.02, 40.03?
How do you know it was a brand new tree? (did you clearcut before hand, did you see it start from nothing, was it a sapling on embark?)
Was it a reclaim of an embark, or brand new?
In what biome did it grow?
How many Z-levels was it after 2 years? 2? 5? 10?
What kind of tree is it? (ash, oak, palm, etc?)
Was it underground or above ground?
Was there multi-soil (not rock) beneath the tree?
Does it have roots now, in the z-level beneath?
Do you have a save of the embark with the newly grown tree, by any chance?

thanks, in advance, Aristion.

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: July 13, 2014, 11:14:52 pm »

I clear cutted before hand. It grew next to my wooden fort that I had built.
Brand new of a second year fort.
Don't remember biome/
About 4-6 z-levels.
Don't remember type of tree but it was above ground and I think there weren't any roots for the tree and there was multiple soil layers below.
I do not have the save anymore.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 44