Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 112753 times)

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.02
« Reply #435 on: July 12, 2014, 12:05:22 pm »

Worldgen fort... how did these ancestor dwarves do this? They've smoothed natural walls they don't actually have access to - as in, when I dig out these thick smoothed walls I get... more smoothed walls revealed.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: July 12, 2014, 12:08:38 pm »

Worldgen fort... how did these ancestor dwarves do this? They've smoothed natural walls they don't actually have access to - as in, when I dig out these thick smoothed walls I get... more smoothed walls revealed.

Don't question it. It saves you some work.

I think bringing along at least one real military dwarf on embark will be a real thing now.
This is your solution I believe, yes.

3+ discipline, and make it two (I'm certain numbers are a factor in morale now,) with weaponry at least. Especially if reclaiming a site, as you may not have the time to make equipment for them.

Tomcost

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: July 12, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »

Of course, they did so with their beards, that now, besides being the ultimate tool used in all workshops and tasks, also bend spacetime.

FallenAngel

• Bay Watcher
  • !!x(oᴥo)x!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: July 12, 2014, 01:18:40 pm »

I think some mixture of the original system (soldiers NEVER fled, no matter how terrible it was getting) and the current one (those who haven't experienced tragedy crap themselves and flee for the hills) would balance it out.
The dwarves should believe in their leader. If the commander of their squad happens to be battle-scarred, great with his or her weapon, and has a bunch of kills under his or her belt, the subordinates should be much less likely to flee. They know their leader will keep them safe(r). Still, if stuff starts getting really bad (aka, EXPLODING GOBLINS), the less-seasoned ones should flee.
Case in point: Train new recruits first in training, and then have them get experienced with death with tons of stabbing of wild animals, and THEN have them rip off goblin heads.
THAT should be how it works. Even in the bang-bang-bang-explosions-shot-Marvin-in-the-face modern military, trust in your leader may add some courage, but if a grenade's explosion narrowly misses you? Only the death-seekers and disproportionally brave shouldn't flee.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: July 12, 2014, 01:31:02 pm »

I think some mixture of the original system (soldiers NEVER fled, no matter how terrible it was getting) and the current one (those who haven't experienced tragedy crap themselves and flee for the hills) would balance it out.
The dwarves should believe in their leader. If the commander of their squad happens to be battle-scarred, great with his or her weapon, and has a bunch of kills under his or her belt, the subordinates should be much less likely to flee. They know their leader will keep them safe(r). Still, if stuff starts getting really bad (aka, EXPLODING GOBLINS), the less-seasoned ones should flee.
Case in point: Train new recruits first in training, and then have them get experienced with death with tons of stabbing of wild animals, and THEN have them rip off goblin heads.
THAT should be how it works. Even in the bang-bang-bang-explosions-shot-Marvin-in-the-face modern military, trust in your leader may add some courage, but if a grenade's explosion narrowly misses you? Only the death-seekers and disproportionately brave shouldn't flee.

I honestly like it. I was worried that using soldiers would be crippled by the personality rewrites but it works exceptionally well now if they've gotten a few months of training first, and both sides may react to particularly messy kills wonderfully if anyone who sees it lacks sufficient emotional hardening/general discipline. I also greatly enjoy that your soldiers are now legitimately uncomfortable killing other sapients starting out (which helps harden them to tragedy even quicker! :D) Animals it seems to be more the stench of death/rotting carcasses bothering them.

The days of lone death machines might be gone now, but I can live with it. Now they just need to be fielded in groups.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: July 12, 2014, 02:02:09 pm »

The dwarves should believe in their leader. If the commander of their squad happens to be battle-scarred, great with his or her weapon, and has a bunch of kills under his or her belt, the subordinates should be much less likely to flee.

I am beginning to suspect this is how it works.  Not because of the commander's kill list, or scars, but her Leadership skill.  Discipline and Leadership are both being trained in my military dwarves, but we need more time and playtesting to see what they actually do.

===========================================

One of my sparring dwarves just threw her sparring partner, using a wrestling move.  (Threw him by grabbing a toe, as it happens.)  What makes this unusual is that both dwarves have weapons.  Previously, sparring between dwarves that had weapons only used those weapons, and never involved any throws.  This in turn meant sparring between unarmed dwarves could become fatal (thrown, lands on head), but giving them weapons made it 100% safe.

Weapon sparring is no longer 100% safe.  Get those helms on!  BURN ALL THE CAPS, FOREVER!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:16:10 pm by greycat »
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: July 12, 2014, 02:35:57 pm »

The dwarves should believe in their leader. If the commander of their squad happens to be battle-scarred, great with his or her weapon, and has a bunch of kills under his or her belt, the subordinates should be much less likely to flee.

I am beginning to suspect this is how it works.  Not because of the commander's kill list, or scars, but her Leadership skill.  Discipline and Leadership are both being trained in my military dwarves, but we need more time and playtesting to see what they actually do.

More testing of this should be easy in arena mode...That would be pretty freakin awesome if leadership modified discipline checks.

This would also encourage dispersing your vets among untrained squads as leaders...which would be an awesome thing as well...
« Last Edit: July 12, 2014, 02:37:36 pm by dennislp3 »

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: July 12, 2014, 02:37:08 pm »

I've found leadership increasing just from training lessons [training a lowly newbie not individual training, obviously], so I'm not sure how/if it effects battlefield morale.
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: July 12, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »

Elven merchants have arrived, and their goods are mostly "grown ___ wood".  For example, I see here a («grown ginkgo wood toy boat»).  Maybe they'll accept traded "grown" wood, but not ordinary wood?  I'd have to wait for them to come back around next year to find out.  I'd also have to buy some of these grown wood trinkets... well, maybe a couple.  For science.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Merkator

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: July 12, 2014, 03:13:50 pm »

The grown wood thingy is I think connected with old good Elven double-morality problem.
You know, Elves will start wars with you when you sell them *wooden scepter* or something.
On the other hand they will be so happy selling to you tones of wood, and wooden stuff, I say wood... yes and more wood.
Then they will be angry if you cut more then one tree.

I think we can assume old TDTTOE (or rather TTOTOE) and Toady just want to make elven choices more logical and less hypocritical.

Loci

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: July 12, 2014, 03:15:46 pm »

Seems like either brewing produces less booze per cycle or dwarves drink more... having trouble getting a surplus going with one still running full time for 50 dwarves, which was NEVER an issue in .34 unless the still was out of something.
It may be unskilled farmers producing smaller stacks or unskilled brewers working too slow.

All the plants and drinks are enabled by default for cooking in the kitchen (and the cook no longer resists booze-cooking until absolutely necessary). It is very easy to accidentally cook away all your plants (producing no seeds) and cook away any alcohol your brewer actually managed to produce. Disabling cooking of the many types of plants and drinks on the Kitchen screen is tedious since you cannot adjust the setting unless you actually have some of the item in your fortress; linking a non-alcohol stockpile to your kitchen is an easier approach.

Once you've got your cooking under control, one still should be sufficient for 50+ dwarves (with skilled planters producing moderate stacks of plants).

Aristion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: July 12, 2014, 03:39:21 pm »

I was about to say "Since when could Crundles fly." and than i remembered climbing.
I kept imagining this guy go "By Armok, not the dead roaches! Oh gods the hamsters oh the dwarfmanity!"
Devotes several hours a day making vampires an endangered species.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: July 12, 2014, 05:34:01 pm »

One of my sparring dwarves just threw her sparring partner, using a wrestling move.  (Threw him by grabbing a toe, as it happens.)  What makes this unusual is that both dwarves have weapons.  Previously, sparring between dwarves that had weapons only used those weapons, and never involved any throws.  This in turn meant sparring between unarmed dwarves could become fatal (thrown, lands on head), but giving them weapons made it 100% safe.

Weapon sparring is no longer 100% safe.  Get those helms on!  BURN ALL THE CAPS, FOREVER!

This is old behavior.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5958

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: July 12, 2014, 05:55:56 pm »

This is old behavior.
http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5958

No, no.  That "bug" was for unarmed dwarves.  Wrestlers.  They had no weapons.

My dwarves have weapons.  But they still use wrestling moves (and punches, etc.) while sparring.  This is new behavior.  I'm just warning people.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: July 12, 2014, 06:08:09 pm »

No, no.  That "bug" was for unarmed dwarves.  Wrestlers.  They had no weapons.

My dwarves have weapons.  But they still use wrestling moves (and punches, etc.) while sparring.  This is new behavior.  I'm just warning people.
I'm not sure about that, I had a serious problem in the last version with my militia dwarves throwing one another off the roof.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 44