Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44

Author Topic: First Impressions .40.01 AND BEYOND!  (Read 110421 times)

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Impressions .40.01
« Reply #195 on: July 08, 2014, 08:14:16 pm »

Everyone is sleeping on the ground instead of my nice dormitory.
A dog's war training got interrupted and now no dogs can be war trained anymore.
Underground farm plots are broken somehow.

On the plus side, going to small world/short history perked up my FPS nicely.
And I have a metric fuck ton of wood.

Oh, and tree and bushes are pretty.

I'm going to go start drinking heavily before I can play more of this.

Lafiel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 08, 2014, 08:15:43 pm »

Five minutes into a new fort and my miner already managed to fall from Armok knows where and break his hand.

It's like the old times, but buggier.

Akhier the Dragon hearted

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a Dragon, Roar
    • View Profile
    • My YouTube Channel
« Reply #197 on: July 08, 2014, 08:19:51 pm »

Five minutes into a new fort and my miner already managed to fall from Armok knows where and break his hand.

It's like the old times, but buggier.
Dwarf Fortress: Now with extra Fun
Join us. The crazy is at a perfect temperature today.
So it seems I accidentally put my canteen in my wheelbarrow and didn't notice... and then I got really thirsty... so right before going to sleep I go to take a swig from my canteen and... end up snorting a line of low-grade meth.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 08, 2014, 08:37:49 pm »

Decide to try reclaiming a ruin.  OSHA would not approve of it.  There is a giant 50x50x2  building with just a tradepost and a sandy clay loam roof on the surface.  The roof is just sandy clay and not constructed, so they must have leveled the entire map off to make that the roof.  Oh and the entire building (except the roof) is made of native platinum blocks.

There is a 3x3 shaft with a 1 tile wide path that is cut into the side, spiralling down...  down...  135 levels down to just above the magma sea.  Not even a guard rail.  There are 17 magma smelters down there and over 100 forges 5 levels below the first cavern, which the shaft slices through with no defenses at all (though there are 2 nice big 7 tile wide roads that lead to the edges of the caverns).  The level above the forges has probably 200 rooms scattered around basically all 2x2.

Before I finished exploring it I had my first kobold thief.  I wonder if it would be possible to actually survive in this place.

Gilihad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 08, 2014, 08:39:29 pm »

Like everyone else, I never have to worry about wood again. Although for some reason I'm getting some pathing errors. I had a legendary wereturtle that came and turned back into a human, which I set my archers on. They killed it while it was climbing a tree, and now I can't get anyone to go dump the body (I.E. bring it back to my fortress) so I can use it... for... !!SCIENCE!! purposes... They don't seem to go and get anything that has a dump request that is also outside. I'll test further. Anyone else getting this?
吴钧非君也非臣也非小人也不善不恶欲无道无名

Blastbeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 08, 2014, 08:41:10 pm »

Genned up a basic world, and to my surprise found a playable dwarven civilization with no sites. Their only holding in the entire world is a small camp, unless they have some secret underground headquarters that went unlisted. The civilization has only three nobles, two counts(one a goblin ranger) and a drunk queen(Considering her odds, I'd hit the bottle too). They're playable in fort mode and I don't have to run a site into the ground to be done with it anymore, so I knew what I had to do.

It went like a normal fort did, but I noticed something interesting while playing. I caught one dwarf sleepwalking. Yes, sleepwalking. He was working away on a forge, dead tired, and he just conked out, fell asleep while working. Immediately, Urist van Winkle stopped working and proceeded to move to the nearest bed while standing up, while sleeping. It was adorable.

Sadly, this session came to an abrupt end while I was thumbing through the relationships of my citizens. One caused a crash for some reason. I hadn't save beforehand either, so an entire year just went down the hole. It's back to square one for me, and for some reason, I'm not mad about it.
I don't know how it all works, I just throw molten science at the wall and see what ignites.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 08, 2014, 08:44:59 pm »

Like everyone else, I never have to worry about wood again. Although for some reason I'm getting some pathing errors. I had a legendary wereturtle that came and turned back into a human, which I set my archers on. They killed it while it was climbing a tree, and now I can't get anyone to go dump the body (I.E. bring it back to my fortress) so I can use it... for... !!SCIENCE!! purposes... They don't seem to go and get anything that has a dump request that is also outside. I'll test further. Anyone else getting this?

By default, dwarfs won't dump anything outside unless it's enabled in the (o)rders screen under refuse.

arbarbonif

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 08, 2014, 08:50:10 pm »

Mushrooms only provide one wood.  Tunnel tubes produce several tho.

And so far 2 dwarves and a blind cave ogre have fallen down the central shaft, tho one dwarf had her head pulped by the ogre first.  One punch.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 08, 2014, 09:08:00 pm »

My expedition leader is a wuss who keeps crying about the owlmen who periodically fall from the sky and explode.

Cerol Lenslens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 08, 2014, 09:29:19 pm »

I built my fortress inside a plateau bisected by several rivers. The aquifer was breached by one of the rivers and is providing a waterfall straight from the cliff face, which is nice.

However, I built some bridges connecting tunnels across the ravine. One of my founders decided to climb down the ravine to get a drink from the river, and every time he climbs back up he hits the smoothed tunnel wall and plummets several z-levels right back into the water. He's slowly training his swimming, but I worry that he's going to starve because he won't take the long route back to the fortress entrance...
"I've got a plan, hear me out on this one... I want to almost murder you."
"Boy, sure wish as Queen of the entire realm I had somebody to help me out with this. Advisor, tutor, anyone who knows what the hell they're looking at really.

Alas, the life of a Queen is a lonely one. Do the things with the whatsit."

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 08, 2014, 09:38:26 pm »

I just realized that climbing means I would now need to smooth an entire z-level below a terraced section if I wanted to turn it into a patio.  (Has anyone figured out if they can climb built walls, as opposed to natural walls?)

...This is going to be WAY more work.

I have also noticed that if trees fall towards a slope upwards, they stop dropping logs where they intersect the z-level change.  So, to maximize wood production, aim towards flat space.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2014, 09:41:04 pm by Kohou »
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Urist McVoyager

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 08, 2014, 09:41:22 pm »

So far I'm enjoying it. Not loving it, but that's because of lag which I can still stand. That'll be fixed either in my next embark, when I gen a smaller world, or by a bug fix doing some optimizing.

I've noticed minor glitches, like having to tab through screens a time or two to get access to some of the choices (Like copper picks in the embark screen when you've deleted the ones you had just to work from a clean slate first.) But mostly the game's just fun. I really like the tree upgrades. So much wood! It's awesome! I'll be able to floor my human towns with the stuff. Hell, I'll NEED to floor and road the places just to keep those monster trees at bay.

No crashes yet. Crossing my fingers that I can stay that way.

vjek

• Bay Watcher
  • If it didn't work, change the world so it does.
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 08, 2014, 09:44:16 pm »

My queen punched a few people to death due to an unfilled mandate, so things are going from normal to fun.

I don't think the fort will recover.  Ghosts topple everything that I try to build, so I can't even make slabs for memorials to get things under control.

Melting Sky

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 08, 2014, 09:47:09 pm »

The new version seems remarkably stable in fortress mode which is the only one I have played so far.  :o

Urist McWangchuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 08, 2014, 09:48:38 pm »

Thought I'd try a reclaim first, just to see these floors filled with forges.  Protip - you can check the ruins in Legends beforehand - which I only figured out afterwards.

Bodicecage was a fortress.
In 1, The Dike of Gears of The Fatal Oil founded Bodicecage.
(some time passes)
In the midsummer of 8, the dragon Usmok Flamesilver the Ivory Heat of Sparks settled in Bodicecage.

In the early spring of 125, The Shield of Rhythms of The Fatal Oil at the settlement of Bodicecage regained their senses after another period of questionable judgment.

I feel bad about abandoning it again immediately.  It was majestic, with dozens of forges and magma smelters.  The smelters set upon the magma sea.  Usmok was apparently sleeping when my miner dashed by going to the next designated dig tile.  I guess my personal Discipline skill is very low because I freaked right out.  I should have tried to construct some walls around the thing and then opened up an exit once I had a cage trap made.

So I went back, this time with cages and stone blocks.  Just about set everything up when the goblin siege happened and killed my mechanic.  I had a dragon there and still only had FUN instead of !!FUN!!

It doesn't help that I have no clue what I'm doing without Manipulator or a graphics tileset. That said, fending off a dozen goblins while trying to cap a dragon from before the dawn of time, all before summer starts - something I could not have pulled off anyways.

Time to regen for new ruins - this time checking Legends before I try to reclaim, and then getting my seven sealed underground before I attempt any hanky panky.
Let's take a moment to realize that with historical figures in armies, we can show enemy soldiers the dead bodies of their family members who were in the last wave.

And they will cry about it.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 44